List Mgmt. All Trades and Draft Part 2- Draft edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last year we could blame Geelong refusing to release him from his contract; we didn’t want to pay overs last year on effectively a first year AFL footballer; but we have put a fairly decent contract offer and invested a great deal of time into Tim. It would be particularly hard to go back on that now when we have clearly got his buy in. We aren’t that type of club.

Yes, losing a couple of first rounders is a big cost- but not many A grade midfielders come back on the market and want to come to us. He slots straight in to our side next year and immediately makes us stronger.

And if you think about it; this is the price we are paying for taking Oscar Allen over him originally. I can’t wait for Tim to come and play for us, but I don’t think we regret that move for a single second.

Still have to draft 3 no matter what however upgrades from rookie list a to main list count as a spot. So we are committed to upgrade frankie watson to the main list so at a minimum have to make 2 more delistings. We went from 39-40 with frankie going from rookie to main and then down to 39 with masten out. AFAIK mutimer is also 100% out as he has removed his IG handles amongst other things. That puts us at 38 main list players. If we delist Rioli (i would) with the intention of picking him up as our last rookie pick (I can't see him being touched) Then we don't have to cut any further. If we keep 33 and get 36 I would cut another as I see Sokol going in the main draft. If we don't end up with 2 second round picks i would just take best available on talent with our late second rounder (georgiades is the man for me unless someone like taylor or robertson dramatically slides), take sokol late in the draft, delist our rookies bar edwards who we have committed to a second year on the rookie list, pick up willie with our last rookie pick, jye bolton with our first rookie pick and some unheard of fu****** nobody who will never even get remotely close to a game with our other pick as we seem to have a quotient of one of those a year.
Would be ok with most of this but I can't see us de-listing Rioli until we know what his penalty is.
We'd look really stupid if we de-list him, someone else picks him up (probably Geelong just to give us the shits) and he's allowed to play in 2021. Worth the list spot to keep him on the senior list until we know his fate imo.
Hopefully we don't do something stupid like upgrading Josh Smith.

Dreaming but how sweet would it be if we could convince Jack Steven to come to us right after the Kelly deal goes through (assuming it does). Take Geelong's plan B as well. Maybe Hickey can get in his ear about how good the WA retirement plan looks.

Would be ok with most of this but I can't see us de-listing Rioli until we know what his penalty is.
We'd look really stupid if we de-list him, someone else picks him up (probably Geelong just to give us the shits) and he's allowed to play in 2021. Worth the list spot to keep him on the senior list until we know his fate imo.
Hopefully we don't do something stupid like upgrading Josh Smith.

TBH I think masten would have taken a paycut and been kept on / delisted and rookied with smith cut unless of course masten is offered 2 years elsewhere etc.

TBH I think masten would have taken a paycut and been kept on / delisted and rookied with smith cut unless of course masten is offered 2 years elsewhere etc.
As much as Masten cops it I would have been good with him staying on the list as a backup and to play mainly in the WAFL to help out with the younger guys. Especially if it meant we cut Smith.
Be interesting if Cockburn pick him up, I'd like to see how he plays in a different system.

Yeo - showed lots of promise but who could tell he'd become a monster

Redden - his left few years at Brisbane were Not that great

Jetta - washed up, on the ropes
redden had groin injuries that screwed his last 2 seasons at brissy then the first 2 at wce .
Think they finally worked out he had a hernia or somthing and surgury could have fixed the problem 3 years prior

People are saying Kelly is a proven performer as opposed to roll of the dice draft picks and it's a fair point but the thing is the value of draft picks isn't just limited to who you select in the draft. They can also be used as currency to trade in other proven performers. By the sounds of it we are going to be without any meaningful picks for the next couple of drafts. But to be fair, Kelly is a gun so we shall see.

To me what's being reported is overs but I will refrain from commenting further until details are confirmed.
The other side of things is we have continually tried to draft mids since judd left and been shiite at it. Shuey and gaff in 12 years is a shocking hit rate.

Now we outsource

If we have basically traded out of early picks in the national draft, I think we’ll have to get creative with how we use the rookie list. Do you have any suggestions in this regards?
Don't pick Burrows or Gorter mk 2?
I haven't seen enough WAFL this year but I think we're lacking young midfielders and probably a backup developing ruck so I'd be focusing our picks on those areas. I'd consider using a pick on Bennell just for the lols as long as it's ok with Kelly (but I don't think this will happen).

Our players under 25
Ainsworth
Mallen
Oallen
Barrass
Brander
Brayshaw
Cameron
Cole
Duggan
Edwards
Foley
nelson
O'Neill
Petracelle
Rioli
Rotham
Ryan
Sheed
Venables
Waterman
Watson
Williams

We are just fine to miss out on the top end of this and next years drafts

I count 4-5 delistables, 4-5 barely afl grade, 6-7 solid or promising players, a couple wildcards and 1 gun.

It’s actually a list that’s pretty light on for top end talent especially in the midfield. We are gonna have to draft very very well and go quite deep for the next two or 3 years.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FB: Nelson Barrass Cole
HB: Duggan Brander Rotham
C: O’Neill Brayshaw Ah Chee
HF: Petch Allen Ryan
FF: Cameron Waterman Venables
R: Williams, Kelly, Sheed

HB35 - I have done a little re-write.

Don't see Rotham as a genuine KPD, but like him on a HBF

I think you could justify Cameron in that team, also while he is only a rookie I like Edwards.

Like you said young midfield depth is alarmingly thin and a real worry....well it should be.

Ainsworth has a massive * against him IMO, if he can't emerge in 2020 as a dominant WAFL player and improve his kicking then he is a bust.
Foley looks border line as a player of AFL quality, hoping I am wrong and he improves, but the times I have seen him he looks pretty bog average in the WAFL.

We are playing catch up with midfield talent ...... ( as we have been over the last half dozen years ) .... thats why we have had to pay a lot of draft capital to get Kelly.

We need to be astute and "get some luck" because we need to pick up some more midfield talent, by trading in or getting kissed on the dick and landing an UR Free Agent that we pick up with out having to surrender a draft pick for.

Our current team looks pretty solid in the next three years...... but still a hell of a lot of work to be done after that, with the list , if what we have above is the hope going forward.

Summary of the 25 and under team above

Good Back line. :whitecheck:
Good Forward line. :whitecheck:
First ruck : Williams, Kelly , Sheed. :thumbsu: Very Impressive.
Midfield talent after that looks bleak. :rotatinglight:

Now when have I ever heard that sort of assessment before ? ;)

Last edited:
Dreaming but how sweet would it be if we could convince Jack Steven to come to us right after the Kelly deal goes through (assuming it does). Take Geelong's plan B as well. Maybe Hickey can get in his ear about how good the WA retirement plan looks.

If we want to poach a Saints midfielder I’d prefer Newnes. He’d be free and slot straight in on the wing

The price is high but worth it. WCE are in a window, known commodities that can slot right in are far more valuable than a scatter gun of decent picks. The club has to be all about maximising their output for the next two years.

As much as Masten cops it I would have been good with him staying on the list as a backup and to play mainly in the WAFL to help out with the younger guys. Especially if it meant we cut Smith.
Be interesting if Cockburn pick him up, I'd like to see how he plays in a different system.
This is an interesting point actually.. because if Masten is delisted but we keep Smith I’d be questioning that call. Smith can’t be on much salary wise, but if Masto was prepared to accept a similar offer and strictly have WAFL game time only id 100% be doing that ahead of Smith. Masten has his limitations and frustrations but is still capable of doing a solid job at AFL level (if we ever required it), knows the team system and players like the back of his hand, and would be a handy leader for the WAFL guys. Of course.. that’s all irrelevant if Smith is delisted too (which is just as annoying as we’d have gained nothing for a pick that could have netted us Pickett), but if we’ve gone Smith over Masten I’d be giving that a fail.

This is an interesting point actually.. because if Masten is delisted but we keep Smith I’d be questioning that call. Smith can’t be on much salary wise, but if Masto was prepared to accept a similar offer and strictly have WAFL game time only id 100% be doing that ahead of Smith. Masten has his limitations and frustrations but is still capable of doing a solid job at AFL level (if we ever required it), knows the team system and players like the back of his hand, and would be a handy leader for the WAFL guys. Of course.. that’s all irrelevant if Smith is delisted too (which is just as annoying as we’d have gained nothing for a pick that could have netted us Pickett), but if we’ve gone Smith over Masten I’d be giving that a fail.

Fair points but something to consider, what if the coin we save on keeping Smith, rather that Masten, is what was needed to get a $ package to pay for Kelly.

Fair points but something to consider, what if the coin we save on keeping Smith, rather that Masten, is what was needed to get a $ package to pay for Kelly.
Yeah agree, that was one of the points I made. If Masten was prepared to accept a similar salary to Smiths, which it’s definitely possible he wouldn’t. But.. if all those things work for Masten (salary, wafl etc) and we still chose Smith over him I’d be slightly annoyed.

Apparently, we have spoken to Jye Bolton.

Good. With our midfield (plus Kelly), I think he would do very well.

Ready to go Hutchings upgrade that can win clearances and find the ball.

Averaged almost 30 disposals and 9 clearances per game for Claremont this season. Arguably has been the best player outside of the AFL over the last four years.

In my opinion he is the exact type of player the club should be procuring to the rookie list.

Natural stoppage player that wins the ball over and over again - and because the opposition will be focused upon stopping Yeo, Shuey, Gaff (and Kelly) etc, secondary midfielders such as him would be granted opportunity to attack stoppages with a lot less interference.

Well he's back in the role temporarily this year isn't he?
How many crazy pick swap deals did we do before Rawlings was the list manager? Maybe I'm wrong but I can't think of any.
Seems fairly obvious that all those pick swap trades were heavily influenced by Rawlings.
Rawlings was just a smart operator in my opinion, he's a bigger loss than people think.

And also you seem to be conceding that this deal is on the dodgy side.
If
Rawlings was responsible for 2018 draft picks and not getting Kelly I put that down as a fail . Oneil , Foley , Williams dont do it for me .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back