List Mgmt. All Trades and Draft Part 2- Draft edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So he had a job for a Geelong newspaper and he wrote nice things about GFC .
He and his wife was in a few photo's with some team mates . Well they must have been happy .
Ok . Thankyou for letting us know . Ta Ta for now .
Fair post! I think the only frustrating thing is countless players have wanted to leave their existing club and have nominated Geelong and clubs have worked in good faith to support that move. Dangerfield (free agent yes but restricted and Adelaide matched), caddy, Henderson, Tuohy, Dalhaus and the worst of the lot Ablett, who was captain of the GC. He was the worst as there were reports of him not wanting to travel when playing for the GC towards the end of his time there

For those posters upset that we appear to be paying overs and that we could/should have held out to force a more favourable deal, spare a thought for Tim Kelly and his family

I’ve been anxiously waiting news about this trade, hopeful that this time we’d succeed in bringing him to the club. Ultimately it’s something that has zero impact on my life so I can only imagine how it must have been for Kelly given the massive impact this trade will have on him. It must have been nerve racking, especially after having gone through last year without getting his desired result

I’ve no doubt a factor in this trade would have been the desire to get it done early to alleviate any anxiety for Kelly and his family. If that has meant we’ve conceded a little more in negotiations then so be it

Can’t wait until this becomes official

Exactly.

May I also add to that the loyalty he has already shown. He was desperate to get back to W.A last year and with his family issues you couldn’t blame him if at the last second he decided Fremantle would be better than returning to Geelong.

Tim told them in no uncertain terms it was West Coast or nothing and if he had to return to Geelong for one year then so be it.

That’s exactly what he did. Imagine having to go back there after you’ve been abused, vilified and your wife and family has been harassed and abused on social media.

Consider then as well that he comes out this year and has an ever better year than the one before, significantly so.

Fast forward one year and he nominates us again. This kid has class, commitment and determination written all over him.

We owed it to Tim to get this done, no matter what.

We kept our list intact, only used speculative draft picks, nothing top ten and most likely only one top 20 pick for a reliable, fast, big bodied midfielder who can get his own ball and kick goals.

Compare Tim to

Daniel Chick pick 10
Tyson Stenglein pick 12 & 28
Sharrod Wellingham pick 17
Jack Redden pick 17

None were All Australians, only Stenglein was runner up in his clubs b&f and none came close to the coaches award. None of the these players could break a game open or win one off his own back like Tim can.
None were A grade, let alone A+

We are finally getting an A++ Midfielder to come to us via trade and whist we are in premiership mode too.

This is a win. We owe it to Tim to get it done but more importantly the club owes it to us to do everything they can to strengthen the list for another shake at a premiership and I don’t see anyone better than Tim being able to help us do that.

Last edited:

Great outcome.
Two top tens - no porbably the 14 will drift to 17. In reality its about two 20's and a 30+.
But this is a Judd trade! Nope. Kennedy plus 3 and 20. They are starting at about 20.
Brander etc - Nope.

So he had a job for a Geelong newspaper and he wrote nice things about GFC .
He and his wife was in a few photo's with some team mates . Well they must have been happy .
Ok . Thankyou for letting us know . Ta Ta for now .

More evidence than a bunch of big footy nuffies (that includes me and Geelong supporters too) speculating on scenarios they know nothing about, lol. I've been more than respectful on your board, least you could do is offer the same courtesy. Poor form.

I don’t know if I’ve missed this being in melbs. But besides Masto, who and how many did we delist? Looking we have given most of our 2019 draft picks away, how many players do we need to bring in this year?

Exactly.

May I also add to that the loyalty he has already shown. He was desperate to get back to W.A last year and with his family issues you couldn’t blame him if at the last second he decided Fremantle would be better than returning to Geelong.

Tim told them in no uncertain terms it was West Coast or nothing and if he had to return to Geelong for one year then so be it.

That’s exactly what he did. Imagine having to go back there after you’ve been abused, vilified and your wife and family has been harassed and abused on social media.

Consider then as well that he comes out this year and has an ever better year than the one before, significantly so.

Fast forward one year and he nominates us again. This kid has class, commitment and determination written all over him.

We kept our list intact, only used speculative draft picks, nothing top ten and most likely only one top 20 pick for a reliable, fast, big bodied midfielder who can get his own ball and kick goals.

Compare Tim to

Daniel Chick pick 10
Jack Redden pick 17

None were All Australians, only Stenglein was runner up in his clubs b&f and none came close to the coaches award. None of the these players could break a game open or win one off his own back like Tim can.

We are finally getting an A++ Midfielder to come to us via trade and whist we are in premiership mode too.

This is a win. We owe it to Tim to get it done but more importantly the club owes it to us to do everything they can to strengthen the list for another shake at a premiership and I don’t see anyone better than Tim being able to help us do that.

Brilliant summation. 2020 will be an exciting year.

Vozzo's rolled onto his back if he hands over picks 14, 24, 33 and our 2020 first though and all we get back is Geelong's pick 36 this year. Got to keep 24. We've done well with those early second rounders lately.

Dont forget the picks this year will slide due to the NGA and father son selections, so its probably 17, 27 and 36. Next years first could be pushed back around 5 - 10 spots because there are a ridiculous number of NGA picks so that pick could easily get to 25. Looks better if its 17, 27, 36 and 25.

I don’t know if I’ve missed this being in melbs. But besides Masto, who and how many did we delist? Looking we have given most of our 2019 draft picks away, how many players do we need to bring in this year?

Three Ms Masten, Mutimer, McGinnis are three I know about.

Exactly.

Compare Tim to

Daniel Chick pick 10
Jack Redden pick 17

You are selling Redden very short. Player of the finals last year.

McInnes, Riach, Bines.

Watson also due to be upgraded from the rookie list.

Looking very possible we just use three draft picks.

Both Tim & Caitlin follow Harley on IG, so safe to say neither have a problem with him as has been talked about over the past few days.
I thought that it was the Hill brother's that he's had history with

McInnes, Riach, Bines.

Watson also due to be upgraded from the rookie list.

Looking very possible we just use three draft picks.
So only Masten from the main list, albeit we had extra rookies (2?).

So Masten, Mcinness out, Kelly in leaves us needing to delist 2... or if we are shifting frankie from rookie to main can we just cut 1 more?

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everyone is assuming we will have no decent picks next year, that is 12 months away and who knows what will happen with our current list, what if one of our young Vics or even Gaffy changes his mind and wants to go home. We could end up getting a decent pick or two back for them, and may not be out of the draft next year that bad. TK will be around for another 5 years minimum you would think, so a good decision for mine to get him whilst he is still fairly young in age and travel.

HB35 - I have done a little re-write.

Don't see Rotham as a genuine KPD, but like him on a HBF

I think you could justify Cameron in that team, also while he is only a rookie I like Edwards.

Like you said young midfield depth is alarmingly thin and a real worry....well it should be.

Ainsworth has a massive * against him IMO, if he can't emerge in 2020 as a dominant WAFL player and improve his kicking then he is a bust.
Foley looks border line as a player of AFL quality, hoping I am wrong and he improves, but the times I have seen him he looks pretty bog average in the WAFL.

We are playing catch up with midfield talent ...... ( as we have been over the last half dozen years ) .... thats why we have had to pay a lot of draft capital to get Kelly.

We need to be astute and "get some luck" because we need to pick up some more midfield talent, by trading in or getting kissed on the dick and landing an UR Free Agent that we pick up with out having to surrender a draft pick for.

Our current team looks pretty solid in the next three years...... but still a hell of a lot of work to be done after that, with the list , if what we have above is the hope going forward.

Summary of the 25 and under team above

Good Back line. :whitecheck:
Good Forward line. :whitecheck:
First ruck : Williams, Kelly , Sheed. :thumbsu: Very Impressive.
Midfield talent after that looks bleak. :rotatinglight:

Now when have I ever heard that sort of assessment before ? ;)
It's been the case for some years, since the 2006 team really-not having the midfield depth of then. Our second line of midfielders, depth or Wafl or young guns, has been very thin and in a way still is. We need quality depth pushing up. We were meant to go on a midfield search in last couple of drafts/trades but that went sideways. Some recent midfield imports we've had have gone south on us.

Now, grain of salt as it is news.com.au - but this is either a typo or very exciting:

"AFL media has reported the Cats’ first-round draft pick next year will be part of the deal. A swap of draft picks between West Coast and Geelong could also result in the Cats then cutting a deal with St Kilda to secure midfielder Jack Steven, who wants to move. "

So only Masten from the main list, albeit we had extra rookies (2?).

So Masten, Mcinness out, Kelly in leaves us needing to delist 2... or if we are shifting frankie from rookie to main can we just cut 1 more?

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Mcinnes was a rookie. So it's just masten I believe from the senior list at this stage.

Means we need to get rid of 2 more off the senior list. Candidates would include:

Mutimer
Mallen
Brayshaw
Ainsworth
Ah Chee

Think Mutimer and Mallen are gone.

Now, grain of salt as it is news.com.au - but this is either a typo or very exciting:

"AFL media has reported the Cats’ first-round draft pick next year will be part of the deal. A swap of draft picks between West Coast and Geelong could also result in the Cats then cutting a deal with St Kilda to secure midfielder Jack Steven, who wants to move. "
Now that would be a deal.

While not hugely disappointed, I'm firmly in the overs camp.

This deal currently values Kelly @ pick 1 (assuming West Coast finish top 4 next year).

1570576067206.png
I see Kelly in about the same bracket as Neale (same age, similar talent), who went for ~Pick 3 (while contracted).
1570576108303.png
Unless we're getting Geelongs 2nd rounder back. I think we've been a touch fleeced here.
1570576199282.png

Everyone is assuming we will have no decent picks next year, that is 12 months away and who knows what will happen with our current list, what if one of our young Vics or even Gaffy changes his mind and wants to go home. We could end up getting a decent pick or two back for them, and may not be out of the draft next year that bad. TK will be around for another 5 years minimum you would think, so a good decision for mine to get him whilst he is still fairly young in age and travel.

Even if we have no decent draft picks this year or the next - so what?

We're not rebuilding. We are in our premiership window. Sure, we still should look for some youngsters we think can be the future of the club (obviously less of a chance the deeper in the draft you go), but if we were serious about a flag we should be happy to give up a couple of draft picks or three to get him here. The best thing about it is we haven't had to lose a required player to grab him.

Too be honest Harley is one of the most gifted footballers I have ever seen, I think it would be well worth our club to check those calves out, that's what rookie spots are there for.

Freo are about to draft a player better than Bennell in ability and minus the attitude in Liam Henry ..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

While not hugely disappointed, I'm firmly in the overs camp.

This deal currently values Kelly @ pick 1 (assuming West Coast finish top 4 next year).

View attachment 761112
I see Kelly in about the same bracket as Neale (same age, similar talent), who went for ~Pick 3 (while contracted).
View attachment 761114
Unless we're getting Geelongs 2nd rounder back. I think we've been a touch fleeced here.
View attachment 761115

The points system is flawed. We see it every year when clubs can trade a couple of third rounders for a first round fatherson/academy player. It definitely over values second and third rounders.

Its early days, that I will admit, however next years draft will be as compromised a draft as we have EVER seen.
The number of F/S and academy NGA kids of high talent that will be coming off the board in the first two rounds will be unprecedented.
From memory the number of potential top 40 kids that will be bid on early is projected to be around the 18 mark.

Doggies themselves have three good prospects that they have dibs on, with Ugle-Hagan being a real gem.

At this stage its premature to assess what our pickings in next years draft will be until we get all the details ,of the current and future pick swaps that eventuate from the Kelly trade.

All we do know, for sure, is that we will retain our 2020 second rounder as thats not allowed to be traded.
Realistically that will be like a third rounder, in player quality, in a normal draft year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back