List Mgmt. All Trades and Draft Part 2- Draft edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This deal is more than Neale, Shiel, and Treloar.
I understand Kelly is in this bracket, but I'm not sure he's ahead of it.

Put it this way - if you had to pick any of those four to add to our squad for this year - which one would you pick? Think the answer would be obvious.

Kelly is going to help us in 2020 more than Neale and a second round draft pick.

Even if we have no decent draft picks this year or the next - so what?

We're not rebuilding. We are in our premiership window. Sure, we still should look for some youngsters we think can be the future of the club (obviously less of a chance the deeper in the draft you go), but if we were serious about a flag we should be happy to give up a couple of draft picks or three to get him here. The best thing about it is we haven't had to lose a required player to grab him.
There's a lot right in this and a lot wrong. You always need to be building your list, it doesn't just stop when you are going for the win, we don't want to end up as a basketcase in 3-4 years time one Shuey, Nic, Redden, JK, Hurn, Jetta etc have retired.

If we really are trading as much as is touted out we are going to have a long term loss for a short term shot at the premiership. It's extremely risky and if we don't win one in the next two years it will be a failure. There's also a matter of always trying to ensure you achieve value. If its our entire draft this year and our first next year, that is not value.

Put it this way - if you had to pick any of those four to add to our squad for this year - which one would you pick? Think the answer would be obvious.

Kelly is going to help us in 2020 more than Neale and a second round draft pick.

It wouldn't be Shiel or Treloar - but Neale wouldn't be that far behind Kelly if I was picking. He is a gun.

How times have changed, we have just picked up a bloody good footballer by the looks of it in Kelly and still some are worried we have missed out on some junior footballers who we don’t even know can play the game yet.
Great day for the club today if Kelly deal is done. Everyone should be stoked in my opinion.

For those posters upset that we appear to be paying overs and that we could/should have held out to force a more favourable deal, spare a thought for Tim Kelly and his family

I’ve been anxiously waiting news about this trade, hopeful that this time we’d succeed in bringing him to the club. Ultimately it’s something that has zero impact on my life so I can only imagine how it must have been for Kelly given the massive impact this trade will have on him. It must have been nerve racking, especially after having gone through last year without getting his desired result

I’ve no doubt a factor in this trade would have been the desire to get it done early to alleviate any anxiety for Kelly and his family. If that has meant we’ve conceded a little more in negotiations then so be it

Can’t wait until this becomes official
Just a quick psych thought: Kelly has produced what he has for 2 years, living in a town he didn't want to live in, with an unhappy wife.

Consider the possibility of what he might produce living at home, with a happy wife.

There's a lot right in this and a lot wrong. You always need to be building your list, it doesn't just stop when you are going for the win, we don't want to end up as a basketcase in 3-4 years time one Shuey, Nic, Redden, JK, Hurn, Jetta etc have retired.

If we really are trading as much as is touted out we are going to have a long term loss for a short term shot at the premiership. It's extremely risky and if we don't win one in the next two years it will be a failure. There's also a matter of always trying to ensure you achieve value. If its our entire draft this year and our first next year, that is not value.

You need to have faith in the clubs development then as we have numerous kids on our list, if you think they are all duds then I see where you are coming from.

Just a quick psych thought: Kelly has produced what he has for 2 years, living in a town he didn't want to live in, with an unhappy wife.

Consider the possibility of what he might produce living at home, with a happy wife.

Assuming they all stay fit and replicate their form, a midfield of Naitanui, Shuey, Yeo, Kelly and Gaff supported by Sheed and Redden. Immediate premiership contention for at least two years.

Very possible he could be even better, but also possible he could drop off a little. Different game plan, different running patterns. As a seasoned player he should easily adapt but nothing is guaranteed.

There is no other proven performer wanting to come here this year. Coniglio re-signed and the rest just aren't interested for various reasons. There's a reason why teams often move heaven and earth to retain their stars.

As I said, would like to refrain from commenting further until details are confirmed. As of right now there has been no official confirmation from either club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now, grain of salt as it is news.com.au - but this is either a typo or very exciting:

"AFL media has reported the Cats’ first-round draft pick next year will be part of the deal. A swap of draft picks between West Coast and Geelong could also result in the Cats then cutting a deal with St Kilda to secure midfielder Jack Steven, who wants to move. "
Yes, something like this would change the assessment of the deal :) I can't believe it's actually true, though.

As opposed to treading water where we are not rebuilding or contending?

Freo are about to draft a player better than Bennell in ability and minus the attitude in Liam Henry ..
Yeah, nah. Bennell was pick 2 in a very strong draft - would have been pick 1 but for the fact that David Swallow (the most complete draft prospect in years) was eligible. Not only did Bennell have supreme skill and athleticism, he had genuine size that allowed him to play midfield.
Henry is great, but ultimately unremarkable compared to many of the highly rated small forwards/wingmen drafted in the past few years. Bennell was a truly remarkable prospect. The highest draft pick for an indigenous player in draft history IIRC.

When we pick up Yeo we traded pick 6 to Collingwood for 11 & 31. And we used 11 on dom sheed and from previous reports if required we would have used 6, but we felt we could get him at 11. Yeo effectively came to us for nothing as we kept 31 and traded 28 that we already held. One of our best trade manoeuvres in recent times
Effectively that trade just enabled us to draft Karps along with Sheed. It was a good trade, but the end result wasn't that great since we didn't draft a better player at pick 31.

The west online saying 14 + 24 + 2020 first rounder the in principal deal ....

Jon Ralph saying 14 + 24 + 33 + 2020 first rounder , Geelong giving something back we want 2020 second rounder Geelong want to give 4th rounder .......wow at least we know we can fold the club anytime we want !! I think the first option in the West is best !!

Yeah, nah. Bennell was pick 2 in a very strong draft - would have been pick 1 but for the fact that David Swallow (the most complete draft prospect in years) was eligible. Not only did Bennell have supreme skill and athleticism, he had genuine size that allowed him to play midfield.
Henry is great, but ultimately unremarkable compared to many of the highly rated small forwards/wingmen drafted in the past few years. Bennell was a truly remarkable prospect. The highest draft pick for an indigenous player in draft history IIRC.
Honest question: is it worth throwing a low pick on Bennell, see if we can get him right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back