List Mgmt. All Trades and Draft Part 2- Draft edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Normally someone finally budges and 1 trade goes through, which then creates a domino effect allow a lot more trades to flow through..
Have a feeling that might be the Kelly trade 🤔

FMD

From the Herald Scum

Geelong put huge price on Tim Kelly as WA clubs circle

Geelong has set one of the highest asking prices in the history of the AFL’s trade period in return for superstar midfielder Tim Kelly.
Making a strong stance on the opening day of the trade period, Cats’ list boss Stephen Wells said the club wanted more than two first-round draft picks in exchange for the superstar onballer.

Asked if the Cats would accept a pair of first-round picks for the 25-year-old, Wells said: “Tim is worth more than that”.
It means West Coast will have to give up the most significant trade offering since Carlton handed over pick No. 3, 20 and young key forward Josh Kennedy to land Chris Judd from the Eagles in 2007.

Brisbane also handed over pick No. 5 and 25 and Jack Crisp to Collingwood in a monster swap for Dayne Beams in 2014.
The Eagles have picks No. 14, 23, and 32, and yesterday admitted they have also discussed off-loading a future pick for Kelly, who finished fifth in this year’s Brownlow Medal.

West Coast football operations boss Craig Vozzo yesterday confirmed the Cats wanted as many as three early selections for Kelly.
It means the Eagles will have to give up more than what Essendon paid for Dylan Shiel and what Brisbane forked out for Lachie Neale last year.

“That is consistent with what he has told us,” Vozzo said.
“It is a deal we need to consider, for sure.
“There is always too high a price, it is what is fair and reasonable in any market and circumstances.
“We acknowledge he is a very good player for their football club and we acknowledge that a heavy price needs to be paid.”
Geelong also held talks with Fremantle about a potential Kelly deal in the event a trade with West Coast falls over for the second year-in-a-row.

The Dockers have pick No. 6 and are also set to secure 7 from St Kilda in exchange for star wingman Brad Hill.
It means the Dockers could also swoop first on Kelly if he tried to return home to Western Australia through the national draft.
Wells said both clubs were still in the frame.
“It was a productive morning without anything being finalised,” Wells said.
“We are no closer to actually doing a deal. West Coast have been very respectful as have Freo in their discussions.”
West Coast is eager to land Kelly to help round out what could be the best midfield in the competition next year alongside Luke Shuey, Elliot Yeo, Andrew Gaff and brilliant ruckman Nic Naitanui.

To land their man, the Eagles may have to swap their top pick (No. 14) for multiple high-end selections to satisfy the Cats.
Vozzo said it was a possibility they have discussed.
“We have had some productive discussions with clubs on that front, so that is something we need to consider,” he said.
We are hopeful (of doing the deal). We have had a good start today.”
Fremantle desperately needs midfield replacements for Hill and Ed Langdon, who is bound for Melbourne.

Is it possible that the afl would step in and make a trade happen, rather than let the Kelly go thru in the draft?
Possible, my way of thinking is that we don't even have to go that far as long as we've got the high pick to use as leverage then the bag of dick eaters will have to deal more fairly with us. Like others have said it gives us the opportunity to still trade that high pick for Kelly but also get something useful back along with it. Otherwise we go the draft and the bag of dick eaters get f*** all.

I guess the question we have to ask is if it was Yeo or Shuey under the same circumstances what would we be asking?
Fair chance in the same situation we wouldn't have drafted a player if they told us they didn't want to leave their home state and come across the country for family reasons.

That doesn’t really answer the question does it.
Well we wouldn't put ourselves in the situation they have, they knew he'd want to come home asap and still drafted him, knowing they likely wouldn't get full value back in a trade for him.
What did people want for Gaff last year if we'd have forced a trade? A high 1st rounder and a 2nd rounder?

Well we wouldn't put ourselves in the situation they have, they knew he'd want to come home asap and still drafted him, knowing they likely wouldn't get full value back in a trade for him.
What did people want for Gaff last year if we'd have forced a trade? A high 1st rounder and a 2nd rounder?

The two clubs here didn’t want Tim at the time. He has achieved his dream and got a career because Geelong gave him a chance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Geelong are saying that two first round picks won't get it done I don't see how they accept 14 & 24.
I've been saying all along the smartest thing to do is try and get a high first round pick and just threaten the bag of dick eaters with taking Kelly in the draft. Actually being able to do it is obviously the sticking point but I think we've got more chance of achieving it than working out a fair trade with the bag of dick eaters.

This - and then the worst that happens is you sign some top talent. But if the bluff is called, and Kelly walks to the draft, there’s the potential of taking a top 10 pick and Kelly. That’d piss off so many people and would be absolutely delicious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Free!!!!!

At last.

For the heinous crime of responding to a geelong punter who called me a dickhead and to get the f off his board with

“I think i might just do that and leave you to your banjo”

If that aint the most innocuous banning event on bf

What a pack of absolute sook losers

Last edited:
Wasn’t that bad, Ryan has turned out ok so far. Tim has as well.hopefully he will continue with us.
I didn't say getting Ryan was a bad choice, but you said neither team would give him a chance and he's only got a career because Geelong took him. Which is false because we were going to take him as well.

I didn't say getting Ryan was a bad choice, but you said neither team would give him a chance and he's only got a career because Geelong took him. Which is false because we were going to take him as well.

But we didn’t take him, we took Ryan which gave another club the chance to get Kelly and Geelong became that club. We wanted a Ryan more than Kelly obviously.

If Geelong are saying that two first round picks won't get it done I don't see how they accept 14 & 24.
I've been saying all along the smartest thing to do is try and get a high first round pick and just threaten the bag of dick eaters with taking Kelly in the draft. Actually being able to do it is obviously the sticking point but I think we've got more chance of achieving it than working out a fair trade with the bag of dick eaters.

It's posturing from a side desperate to spark a bidding war.

The reality is that all out of contract players go for unders because the alternative is nothing, especially a player where all the evidence points to him not staying in Geelong no matter what happens. If Tim Kelly also keeps insisting on only West Coast, makes it even harder for Geelong to maintain that position.

We have nothing worth sacrificing to move up into the top 10 and involving more parties just makes things exponentially more complicated. I am confident it will be a straight swap of picks and I am confident it won't be the kitchen sink plus Brander or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back