AFLW Alternative home grounds for the Brisbane Lions?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 23, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Port Melbourne
I don't know much about what suburban grounds exist in Brisbane, but I understand that the South Pine Sports Complex is small, has no seats and little cover, is a long way from central Brisbane and has no train station and inadequate parking. In other words, it's not ideal.

Are there any more suitable grounds in Brisbane that could be used by the Lions' women, or potentially redeveloped for that purpose?

I don't know much about what suburban grounds exist in Brisbane, but I understand that the South Pine Sports Complex is small, has no seats and little cover, is a long way from central Brisbane and has no train station and inadequate parking. In other words, it's not ideal.

Are there any more suitable grounds in Brisbane that could be used by the Lions' women, or potentially redeveloped for that purpose?
Short answer: no.

The only ground (other than the Gabba which is unavailable at this time of the year due to cricket) that is bigger is at Burpengary. That's even further from the CBD, also has no shade, decent public transport, or seats. Although it has a nice hill, so viewing for the most part is pretty good.

If we'd been given the green light/funding for an updated training facility 5+ years ago when we first wanted it, we'd likely have an appropriate venue as we wanted something that could host preseason games. Hopefully the recent publicity will draw attention to this need.

Any chance (if there is abutting, "vacant"land), an extra 20 mtrs length, & 20 mtrs width approx., could be added?

Given they've recently developed a whole bunch of showgrounds land into hotels and restaurants I would tend to doubt it. Would need to demolish grandstands then

Short answer: no.

The only ground (other than the Gabba which is unavailable at this time of the year due to cricket) that is bigger is at Burpengary. That's even further from the CBD, also has no shade, decent public transport, or seats. Although it has a nice hill, so viewing for the most part is pretty good.

If we'd been given the green light/funding for an updated training facility 5+ years ago when we first wanted it, we'd likely have an appropriate venue as we wanted something that could host preseason games. Hopefully the recent publicity will draw attention to this need.
Welp, your dreams came true.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW Alternative home grounds for the Brisbane Lions?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back