Anthony Miles

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
See ball, get ball. Simple concept that a lot of footballers don't seem to understand.

Was somehow seen as a negative when Shane Tuck was doing it for years at Richmond. Was something they were missing though, and he's filled the void.

Pretty surprising that the Giants couldn't somehow find room for him.

Was somehow seen as a negative when Shane Tuck was doing it for years at Richmond. Was something they were missing though, and he's filled the void.

Pretty surprising that the Giants couldn't somehow find room for him.
Shane Tuck didnt always play within his limitations. Miles seems to. He distributes the ball within his limitations. Tuck would get it and throw it onto the boot and it would oftem go so high itd be impossible for the forwards to mark because it hung in the air so long. Miles seems to understand his role better and what he can or cant do with the footy.

Miles' way of play reminds me of Barlow. He looks taller than he actually is. I was surprised that he's listed at only 181 cm.

Good call! Someone else mentioned blue collar. True but that's definitely not a bad thing. Every team needs an Anthony Miles, someone who will try their guts out and work hard for their team regardless of whether things are going well or not. A reliable player. Somebody Richmond have really needed and results are reflecting that.

Watching him last night, and thinking of it more, I got flashbacks of Coughlan, Hyde and Newy 2002-04.

Not that this is a stretch, but he'll be Richmond's best No. 26 in a long time.

He's about twenty times the player (and person) that Toby Greene is. Horrendous list management by GWS and you get the feeling it will come back to haunt them for a long time.
Didn't Greene start like a house on fire?

Like, to the point where people were talking about him like a guaranteed star.

Everyone trips over themselves to get the early call on these young blokes.

Miles' real test, despite starting so grandly, will be when opposition teams put an iota of pressure on him.

Didn't Greene start like a house on fire?

Like, to the point where people were talking about him like a guaranteed star.

Everyone trips over themselves to get the early call on these young blokes.

Miles' real test, despite starting so grandly, will be when opposition teams put an iota of pressure on him.

Greene is still an accumulator though, averages 26 disposals a game this year.

I remember the 2012 AFL Prospectus really pumped him up as one of the GWS cash cows you had to get at the start of the year. I think he only finished up playing 1 or 2 games (??) that year - which meant I never got a price rise out of him :(.

They have a good article in the 2014 AFL Prospectus in regards to players like Michael Barlow which is purely based on stats at junior/lower levels - apparently Mitch Honeychurch (Pick #60 in last year's draft) from Footscray is the sort of player who, in years to come, we will wonder how he was picked up so late in the draft.

Maybe Anthony just never settled at GWS, and a move back to Vic was all he needed? :I

Every club has its share of recruiting/list management issues, suppose the Miles pick up for the Tigers cancels out the horrendous Shaun Hampson trade.

It is naive to assume that GWS and the Suns would be able to keep all of their draftees.

Its great to see Miles do well at The Tigers though, exactly the solid, reliable type they have been crying out for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

See ball, get ball. Simple concept that a lot of footballers don't seem to understand.
Some players prefer to see ball, wait for someone to fish the ball out, fiix hair, take ball. Not looking at anyone in particular Dyson Heppell and Brandon Ellis.

However people calling him a star is a bit much unless they call someone like Matt Priddis a star. Both do the same job, both have the same limitations. He's not a great technical kick of the ball (tends to pop it up rather than drill it). Decision making is quite good though. He's not an A grader (We're talking the elites of Pendlebury, Ablett etc) but He's a A- upside, currently B grader.

Some players prefer to see ball, wait for someone to fish the ball out, fiix hair, take ball. Not looking at anyone in particular Dyson Heppell and Brandon Ellis.

Please. Not every player has to be an inside machine.

Ellis plays an important role and he's 2nd in the comp for disposals since round 5 or something. He has huge uncontested numbers because he's one of the hardest working and fittest players in the comp and is also a smart player who knows where to run. He runs himself into the ground when others can't and that's a form of toughness in itself. His challenge in time will be to fix those ratios once he gets more attention but I think he will. He's only 21, poor post.

As for Heppell his inside game is pretty damn good. Open your eyes.

Even Richmond didn't really see his talent straight away though. As mentioned above, came in as a rookie, wasn't upgraded for his senior debut until Round 12.

As all Tiger fans ponder, how would our season be looking if he played from Round 1?

For those playing at home. Toby Greene has racked up 10 touches in the first 9 minutes. Don't mind people getting on board the Miles train, should be/is a good player, but a bit ridiculous to jump off Greene this early.

For those playing at home. Toby Greene has racked up 10 touches in the first 9 minutes. Don't mind people getting on board the Miles train, should be/is a good player, but a bit ridiculous to jump off Greene this early.

Accumulating disposals has never been Greene's problem.

Please. Not every player has to be an inside machine.

Ellis plays an important role and he's 2nd in the comp for disposals since round 5 or something. He has huge uncontested numbers because he's one of the hardest working and fittest players in the comp and is also a smart player who knows where to run. He runs himself into the ground when others can't and that's a form of toughness in itself. His challenge in time will be to fix those ratios once he gets more attention but I think he will. He's only 21, poor post.

As for Heppell his inside game is pretty damn good. Open your eyes.
I never said both weren't good. I just said that they were outside players who had a fear of going inside, unlike your best players in Pendlebury and Ablett. Pendles was like that early, now he is a complete player. Ellis clearly spent too much time on his hairstyle as well compared to training. Not to mention he's a "dumb" footballer like his best mate Dustbin.

If offered both players tomorrow, I'd take Miles.
That is not to jump off Greene and say he won't be a good player down the track, but Miles form this year is top shelf.
Miles not only gets it out - which is perfect for Richmond - but he also spreads well and can find the football uncontested.
In all, I think Miles is more effective.

Last edited:
I never said both weren't good. I just said that they were outside players who had a fear of going inside, unlike your best players in Pendlebury and Ablett. Pendles was like that early, now he is a complete player. Ellis clearly spent too much time on his hairstyle as well compared to training. Not to mention he's a "dumb" footballer like his best mate Dustbin.

I'm not sure how an Anthony Miles thread turned into a personal attack on the football IQ of Brendan Ellis and Dustin Martin.

Miles has been fantastic and was surprised he wasn't upgraded earlier. He is up there with the best recycled trade of the year.

How has Sylvia and Gumbleton turned out for you?

Accumulating disposals has never been Greene's problem.

I remember people used to say the same thing about Dane Swan

Really weird post :thumbsu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back