Lingsface

Norm Smith Medallist
May 9, 2005
perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
Can someone tell me more about him? His highlights reminded me of Chrus Judd type movement through stoppages so explosive!

I’m sure I’ve just only seen a few rare great bits because I don’t see his name thrown around here much…

It’s sus that this guys just disappeared? Reckon the bombers are doing something dodgy
Am sure this kid is talented but surely we need to get a full season to assess these guys. Last year Essendon selected Tex Wanganeen out of school footy and their is talk of J Davey being the same. It's not fair on the kid or others in the draft. Think Carlton did the same with Philip a couple of years ago. Needs to be a rule that you have to play at least 5 games or you will get to the stage of someone telling a kid to play a couple of gun games then to sit out the rest of the season to not to hurt his brand. Would like Munuka to play reserves for his club and a couple of senior games. If he is good enough the select him in the mid season

Am sure this kid is talented but surely we need to get a full season to assess these guys. Last year Essendon selected Tex Wanganeen out of school footy and their is talk of J Davey being the same. It's not fair on the kid or others in the draft. Think Carlton did the same with Philip a couple of years ago. Needs to be a rule that you have to play at least 5 games or you will get to the stage of someone telling a kid to play a couple of gun games then to sit out the rest of the season to not to hurt his brand. Would like Munuka to play reserves for his club and a couple of senior games. If he is good enough the select him in the mid season
Recruiters have a knack of finding kids though if they've been tracking them for a few years already - Anthony Scott was almost drafted right out of VAFA (he then went to Footscray VFL for a year before getting on a list).
Every NGA kid in the country would be fairly well known.

Didn't Jayden Davey tear his ACL in March?

It’s sus that this guys just disappeared? Reckon the bombers are doing something dodgy
It's amazing how we jump straight past injury, off field stuff and school football commitments nowadays and just go with "A club is tanking his draft stock!!"

It's amazing how we jump straight past injury, off field stuff and school football commitments nowadays and just go with "A club is tanking his draft stock!!"
No one is disputing he is talented but think a 5 game rule has to be put in place to avoid any possible manipulation. Have heard stories of clubs sending players to the country and starting false rumours to get players down the draft. Selecting players on a couple of games or recovering from serious injury is not fair on those kids busting their butts playing tge whole season

No one is disputing he is talented but think a 5 game rule has to be put in place to avoid any possible manipulation. Have heard stories of clubs sending players to the country and starting false rumours to get players down the draft. Selecting players on a couple of games or recovering from serious injury is not fair on those kids busting their butts playing tge whole season

How is it not fair?

If a club wants to take a risk on a kid coming off limited exposed form and/or a serious injury, why shouldn't they be allowed to?

Being injured doesn't mean a kid hasn't worked just as hard as a kid who hasn't been injured for a start.

This makes no sense. Your point is kids should play a certain amount of games to get drafted? Load of crap. If they are good enough they will get drafted. Talent scouts and recruiters have tracked and followed these kids for years not just the last two And not just this year. They know who they are, in terms of some kids getting picked out of obscurity, yes it happens, obscurity to those who don’t know them but the talent scouts and recruiters do know them, if a club takes that risk, all power to them, they believe that kid is better than those they don’t pick.
so Max King shouldn’t have been drafted, George Wardlaw should not be drafted? I know your argument is more pointed to those that the injury or ‘rumour’ is more unknown but your fix is a blanket rule covering assumptions.
What you pointed out can and has happened, yes, and it will forever Although it is very rare.
but leaving it open to the clubs to take the risk and get someone from outside the norm if they believe they are better than a kid in the normal talent pathway is how we see the likes of great stories, Tom Stewart, Kane Lambert etc.

So if Tom Green had hypothetically torn his ACL round 1 of school footy in 2019, you would be OK with GWS not having rights to him because he played less than 5 games?

Absolute bull***t

It's not appropriate to punish a player for missing games through injury.

There is a loop hole that if a club wishes to take a player under their academy system, should that player be injured during the year there is no benefit to the club if that player returns to playing - but there is a huge benefit if they sit out the rest of the year "to fully recover" under the advice of their NGA coaches have have given them the wink wink, double wink that they will have an AFL career.

It could have happened this year with Josh Draper, it could have happened with Anthony Munkura.

There is a field of gold just the other side of a little fence, which is now pick #40 for everyone, and all they have to do is get past that fence to have a huge win. The system is ripe for manipulation, but the alternative is that clubs pay fair bidding price for academy players taken anywhere in the draft which everyone seemed to lose their minds over when JUH went pick #1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Walter White I Give Up GIF by Breaking Bad

Tex went undrafted, then had to earn his spot as a SSP competing against the like Fejo Jnr and Nic Martin over the pre-season for a spot on the list.

Jayden Davey has missed the best part of the last two years with two ACL tears.

Do your research before going off on these ill-informed posts.

AFL Draft 2022: The story of Essendon NGA prospect Anthony Munkara

Anthony Munkara likens himself to a taller Charlie Cameron and, after what his junior coach said about him, it’s easy to understand why the teenager might not fall into Essendon’s lap.
Munkara has been back home, out bush on Bathurst Island, for most of the past few months, having returned because a series of family tragedies happened in a short period.
Determined to impress scouts and realise his AFL dream, Munkara left the Tiwis and went to Melbourne to attend the draft combine at Marvel Stadium on Friday.

“He’s enormously talented, but he’s had a year you wouldn’t wish upon anyone,” West Adelaide talent manager Paul Streatfield tells News Corp.

“I just hope that a club’s seen enough in him to give him a shot because in the right environment, if he’s got some stability around him, he’s going to be a pretty handy asset.

“If you’re talking about genuine AFL X-factor flair and talent, he’s right up there.

“What he hasn’t been able to do is put in a consistent year in a program where he’s been around training standards and off-field standards, like a lot of other people would’ve had.”
Munkara hopes to join them at the top level next season.

He says he will be happy to join any team.

“I love Essendon because my family are Essendon fans and they want me to move to the Bombers, but I’ve told them it could be any team,” he says.

“Essendon told me they want to draft me … but that if I’m (picked) inside 30, they can’t do anything.

“I’ve spoken to Richmond and they sound pretty keen.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft Profile Anthony Munkara

Remove this Banner Ad

Back