Apples' Training Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice work fellas. Please don’t talk up Sam Murray though, need to be told straight on this one, he’s currently in my Dreamteam.
Sorry to disappoint, but I'm writing up my training report from this morning and Sam Murray gets a guernsey from me! Impressive.

Sorry to disappoint, but I'm writing up my training report from this morning and Sam Murray gets a guernsey from me! Impressive.
I haven’t taken the opportunity to thank you yet for your fantastic training reports, it’s excellent to hear that you’re currently writing one up. Your dedication is much appreciated by this interstater.

Great news on Murray too!

Chop chop

Don’t keep us waiting :eek:

:D :D :D

Ps in anticipation many thanks as always

Kindly get a wriggle on Mazza :) the rest of us are so starved of news we had to resort to sugary lollies to make up for it... Seriously tho...welcome back and many thanks in advance..

That good to Hear. What was he Impressive In?

For a training report thread never read so much garbage not related to a training report?
Let’s see how far this goes before we get anything remotely like a training report

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Says the guy who just added another non training related comment to the "garbage".

I’m prepared to wait an extra 30* or so for a good training report.

* seconds :)

Here you go folks!

Training Report: Monday 12th Feb.

Weather: Cool and Cloudy 18C
It’s a perfect morning for training we think, as we walk over the Melbourne Park Bridge. It’s 9:15 and we can see players are arriving on the field.
First stop is the café for a much-needed coffee and then out to join the hordes of fans who’d turned up today. Well, there were really only about 10 of us and that included Stevo and his 7 cameraman.

Not Training: Jaimie Elliott, Brody Mihacek
Very Limited: Daniel Wells – ran a few laps and disappeared inside.
Limited Training: Darcy Moore (now a blonde), Levi Greenwood, Tyson Goldsack, Jeremy Howe
-Moore was overheard talking to ex club person and said “I’m pretty good.” He certainly moved well enough during his sprint work.
-Howe told me that his calf niggle is minor and that he’d be back in full training soon.
-Fasolo has his shoulder taped up but trained solidly. Should be good to go.
-Goldy trained with Moore and Greenwood and basically did sprints for most of the session.
-A track watcher told me that Wells is fine and that he’s being carefully managed.

Training basically consisted of 4 drills, through which the players rotated. These drills all consisted of fast skill work. The interesting one was the ruck drill, which saw Grundy pitted against Max Lynch. Grundy did as he pleased in every ball up.

At one stage, my heart leapt as Grundy took front position and deftly palmed down to a peroxided Brayden Sier, who moved like a well-oiled machine and booted it long to CHF. I was told that Buckley recently commented upon Sier and suggested he had some attitude problems, which he had now overcome. Attitude problems coupled with consistent injuries really doesn’t fill me with confidence, but today is the best I've seen Sier play. I’ve said a few times that he seems to find himself where the ball aint and basically wondered about his footy smarts. A couple of plays today has me hoping he can take the next step. He owes the club after it took a big punt on him.

Most interest for me was when, after about 30 minutes, the players were divided into Black V Yellow teams for some end-to-end simulation.
•Ben Reid played mostly back here, but did swing forward from time to time.
•Mason Cox played almost exclusively as a forward.
•Sam Murray and Nathan Murphy played off half back as did Crisp.
•Jaidyn Stephenson played wing on Will H-E.

Murphy is a twig of a boy with sublime skills. Twice this morning he had me smiling. The first instance saw him intercept a hand-pass, turn onto his left foot in traffic, and deliver a rocket-like pass to a waiting Mayne. I kept watching and he soon had the ball in his hands again, this time delivering lace-out on his right foot. Both times he’d played-on by wheeling around and quickly, accurately delivering. He’s beautifully balanced too. This is my first glimpse of him in match conditions and I saw enough believe he’s a beauty.

Sam Murray trained strongly and for the first time I got to see why Derek Hine was such a fan. Twice he attacked a ground ball and took on opponents to win the ball and then took off a-la Treloar. On the second occasion he fended off an opponent, tucked the ball under his arm and raced away.

Jaidyn Stephenson played wing on Will H-E but I didn’t see either get a lot of the ball.

Ben Reid played mostly back today in the absence of Darcy Moore. I expect it will be the way the season plays out for Ben; shifting between back and forward.

It was nice to see Rupert Wills back in full training and taking part in the simulation. If Greenwood is on the decline, then Wills might be a ready made grunt replacement.

Varcoe played mostly between centre and forward and will probably be freed up to stay here if Crisp, Murray and Smith stay back. Smith played forward today.

A senior trainer was overheard speaking to an ex-colleague and said it’s the best atmosphere at the club he had seen in 6 or 7 years. He said the feeling is very optimistic.

Some of the match-play personnel:
Centre Black Team: Grundy, Aish, Pendles, Blair, Maynard
Centre Yellow Team: Max Lynch, De Goey, Sidey, Broomhead, Wiils
Kirby and Varcoe play forward for Yellow.
Smith plays forward with Thomas and Cox for Black.
Appleby, Sharenberg, Langdon, Dunn, Madgen play back for Yellow.
Now Pendlebury goes forward for Yellow and is shadowed by Langdon.

A few calls:
-Stephenson receives ball on the wing and delivers a low 40 metre pass to Crocker on the flank. Crocker’s hands are hard and the ball bounces off. What a bullet!
-Now Murphy trails a leading Kayle Kirby, who marks 50 metres from goal. He kicks it.
- Josh Daicos earns applause from the coaches, when surrounded by players, sidesteps to make time and then delivers over the pack to a teammate 35 metres beyond. Superb vision in traffic. Doesn’t get a lot of it though.

I guess the ‘take’ from today’s session was the health of the list (apart from a few recovering after ops) and the return of a few players like Wills and Oxley.

The other pleasing thing was the speed of transition and the accuracy of the field kicking.

Of the new boys, the standouts today were Nathan Murphy and the line-breaker, Sam Murray. I’ve been reluctant to join the chorus of wraps on Murray, after all, he hasn’t played a game, but today he looked like just the sort of running back we’ve been missing since Heater left for GWS. Of course we would want him to be good after giving up a 2nd rounder for this year’s Super Draft. Our backs played well in 2017 but none could be described as fast. Murray is. Buckley had the day off.

We met up with another Collingwood tragic for lunch and I couldn’t disguise my excitement. I’m pretty happy with what I saw out there today. I’ll endeavour to answer any questions you may have.

Attachments

• Blonde Darcy.png
    Blonde Darcy.png
    382 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Mazzarjo

Thank you so much for your work, and in particular it's great to hear how the new players are fitting in. They're doing very well by the sound of it.

I was just wondering where Scharenberg lined up today, and beyond that whether he made any sort of impression.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thank you so much for your work, and in particular it's great to hear how the new players are fitting in. They're doing very well by the sound of it.

I was just wondering where Scharenberg lined up today, and beyond that whether he made any sort of impression.
Shazza lined up down back but I didn't really notice him much. On days like today I try to focus on a couple of players. I'd decided it would be Stephenson and Murray. Nathan Murphy took me by surprise.

Shazza lined up down back but I didn't really notice him much. On days like today I try to focus on a couple of players. I'd decided it would be Stephenson and Murray. Nathan Murphy took me by surprise.

I am excited how I keep how Great Murphy's Kicking Is

Thanks, great report. Liking Sier's improvement. How are you seeing Kirby in terms of AFL ready?
Well Sier actually looked to be engaging today. Last year at training he seemed to be a loner and from what I could see, didn't converse much with his teammates. Today players were engaging with him and he them. He also got involved in a few passages of play. Kirby was pretty active and has maintained a decent body profile. He is obviously working hard. Way ahead of where he was this time last year.

I am excited how I keep how Great Murphy's Kicking Is
Dave, I've seen Murphy over the preseason and he did well in the time trials and early drills, but it isn't until you see them in match conditions that you can see whether they have footy smarts or vision. He looks like a gun to me.

How did Brayden Maynard look? Where did he line up?
Here you go folks!

Training Report: Monday 12th Feb.

Weather: Cool and Cloudy 18C
It’s a perfect morning for training we think, as we walk over the Melbourne Park Bridge. It’s 9:15 and we can see players are arriving on the field.
First stop is the café for a much-needed coffee and then out to join the hordes of fans who’d turned up today. Well, there were really only about 10 of us and that included Stevo and his 7 cameraman.

Not Training: Jaimie Elliott, Brody Mihacek
Very Limited: Daniel Wells – ran a few laps and disappeared inside.
Limited Training: Darcy Moore (now a blonde), Levi Greenwood, Tyson Goldsack, Jeremy Howe
-Moore was overheard talking to ex club person and said “I’m pretty good.” He certainly moved well enough during his sprint work.
-Howe told me that his calf niggle is minor and that he’d be back in full training soon.
-Fasolo has his shoulder taped up but trained solidly. Should be good to go.
-Goldy trained with Moore and Greenwood and basically did sprints for most of the session.
-A track watcher told me that Wells is fine and that he’s being carefully managed.

Training basically consisted of 4 drills, through which the players rotated. These drills all consisted of fast skill work. The interesting one was the ruck drill, which saw Grundy pitted against Max Lynch. Grundy did as he pleased in every ball up.

At one stage, my heart leapt as Grundy took front position and deftly palmed down to a peroxided Brayden Sier, who moved like a well-oiled machine and booted it long to CHF. I was told that Buckley recently commented upon Sier and suggested he had some attitude problems, which he had now overcome. Attitude problems coupled with consistent injuries really doesn’t fill me with confidence, but today is the best I've seen Sier play. I’ve said a few times that he seems to find himself where the ball aint and basically wondered about his footy smarts. A couple of plays today has me hoping he can take the next step. He owes the club after it took a big punt on him.

Most interest for me was when, after about 30 minutes, the players were divided into Black V Yellow teams for some end-to-end simulation.
•Ben Reid played mostly back here, but did swing forward from time to time.
•Mason Cox played almost exclusively as a forward.
•Sam Murray and Nathan Murphy played off half back as did Crisp.
•Jaidyn Stephenson played wing on Will H-E.

Murphy is a twig of a boy with sublime skills. Twice this morning he had me smiling. The first instance saw him intercept a hand-pass, turn onto his left foot in traffic, and deliver a rocket-like pass to a waiting Mayne. I kept watching and he soon had the ball in his hands again, this time delivering lace-out on his right foot. Both times he’d played-on by wheeling around and quickly, accurately delivering. He’s beautifully balanced too. This is my first glimpse of him in match conditions and I saw enough believe he’s a beauty.

Sam Murray trained strongly and for the first time I got to see why Derek Hine was such a fan. Twice he attacked a ground ball and took on opponents to win the ball and then took off a-la Treloar. On the second occasion he fended off an opponent, tucked the ball under his arm and raced away.

Jaidyn Stephenson played wing on Will H-E but I didn’t see either get a lot of the ball.

Ben Reid played mostly back today in the absence of Darcy Moore. I expect it will be the way the season plays out for Ben; shifting between back and forward.

It was nice to see Rupert Wills back in full training and taking part in the simulation. If Greenwood is on the decline, then Wills might be a ready made grunt replacement.

Varcoe played mostly between centre and forward and will probably be freed up to stay here if Crisp, Murray and Smith stay back. Smith played forward today.

A senior trainer was overheard speaking to an ex-colleague and said it’s the best atmosphere at the club he had seen in 6 or 7 years. He said the feeling is very optimistic.

Some of the match-play personnel:
Centre Black Team: Grundy, Aish, Pendles, Blair, Maynard
Centre Yellow Team: Max Lynch, De Goey, Sidey, Broomhead, Wiils
Kirby and Varcoe play forward for Yellow.
Smith plays forward with Thomas and Cox for Black.
Appleby, Sharenberg, Langdon, Dunn, Madgen play back for Yellow.
Now Pendlebury goes forward for Yellow and is shadowed by Langdon.

A few calls:
-Stephenson receives ball on the wing and delivers a low 40 metre pass to Crocker on the flank. Crocker’s hands are hard and the ball bounces off. What a bullet!
-Now Murphy trails a leading Kayle Kirby, who marks 50 metres from goal. He kicks it.
- Josh Daicos earns applause from the coaches, when surrounded by players, sidesteps to make time and then delivers over the pack to a teammate 35 metres beyond. Superb vision in traffic. Doesn’t get a lot of it though.

I guess the ‘take’ from today’s session was the health of the list (apart from a few recovering after ops) and the return of a few players like Wills and Oxley.

The other pleasing thing was the speed of transition and the accuracy of the field kicking.

Of the new boys, the standouts today were Nathan Murphy and the line-breaker, Sam Murray. I’ve been reluctant to join the chorus of wraps on Murray, after all, he hasn’t played a game, but today he looked like just the sort of running back we’ve been missing since Heater left for GWS. Of course we would want him to be good after giving up a 2nd rounder for this year’s Super Draft. Our backs played well in 2017 but none could be described as fast. Murray is. Buckley had the day off.

We met up with another Collingwood tragic for lunch and I couldn’t disguise my excitement. I’m pretty happy with what I saw out there today. I’ll endeavour to answer any questions you may have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back