Are AFL Players Paid Too Much ??

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton
When I say "paid too much", I'm referring to how much they get in their hand each week or month etc.

The players tend to have a fair bit of spare time nowadays plus with a poultice of cash at their disposal, there is certainly a rise in the number of reports of poor social behaviour especially when it comes to drinking and to a lesser extent gambling.

Would it be more reponsible of the clubs to pay the players a small proportion of their salary as living expenses and have the remainder invested in long-term interest bearing accounts etc ?? Maybe they could be realised when they have retired from the game and are out of the public eye ??

This way, they would not squander the huge sums of money they earn as young men and it might assist them with having to maintain some sort of socially acceptable standards within the community.

You realise Jarryd Kayler Thompson the Hawks rookie listed player took a paycut from his job as a teacher to play AFL? Bloody overpaid teacher twats.

you can't control someones life like that. Sure providing them with financial advice etc.. is a good idea, but these guys are grown men.

The ones you muck up have to deal with it, the rest shouldnt be penalised.

The bigger issue is the media jumping over every footy player as soon as he has had one too many.

Are we going to do the same with CEOs, Lawyers, accountants, etc?

What about Jurnos? <cough>Ando</Cough>

I'm talking about footballers who are in the spotlight for a relatively short amount of time.

CEO's & lawyers etc are pretty damn unlikley to be going out on the pi$$ till the wee hours of the night or belting up their girlfriends.

I would say yes due the fact half of them are playing AFL just because they can perform a 15 point beep test or whatever the f@#k it is, or jump high:p

They may be grown men but it doesn't mean that they are mature or educated though.

Take Fevola for example, he's a grown man but he's a complete and utter idiot.

Nice one Sheik, you'll take any chance to bring Fevola into a conversation by twisting it around a little - from 'are players paid too much' to 'they are grown men' into 'Fevola is an idiot'. Nice :rolleyes:

Back on topic, for some reason I think some players do this already - ie arrange for a certain % (and maybe quite high too) to be put away. I am not sure if its their managers who organise this but I am quite sure its a common thing?

of course they get paid too much, life's not fair, get over it...

one thing that pisses me off is all the weekly awards tv shows etc give out, they give them straight to the players, as if they need a new tv and whatever else for being player of the day... it makes me sick, that kind of stuff should clearly go to a charity of the players choice...

of course they get paid too much, life's not fair, get over it...

one thing that pisses me off is all the weekly awards tv shows etc give out, they give them straight to the players, as if they need a new tv and whatever else for being player of the day... it makes me sick, that kind of stuff should clearly go to a charity of the players choice...

I am sure I read somewhere that they dont actually get these prizes - its called advertising.. Like on the The Sunday Footy Show - the player doesnt take away a pair of shoes, some donuts and a ham.. And as for the cars, they get them for one year (like a rental kind of agreement).

Of course I could be wrong and I am happy to be corrected.

The kids at Port actually have a fair portion of their salary put into a savings account that they cant reach until they turn 21, so it gives them a few years to learn how to handle their finances.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have never liked teachers.

what about truck drivers in the mines

Unless you are willing to live in the middle of nowhere, where there is literally NOTHING to do but drink piss, Truck drivers in mines dont make that much

I work at a mine and i know what they make and i know its a fair bit less than me

Didn't melbourne last year give Watts only a small proprotion of his pay weekly and put the rest into a long term savings account? I think this is good idea for the younger kids, but from 21 onwards they should be trusted to handle there own finances.

There is a stack of money coming into the sport due to sponsorship, gate takings and TV rights, and I'd rather see the players end up with it than administrators and TV stations.

If they didnt get paid as much we would be less envious and feel better about ourselves.

Then again if they werent going out and mucking up as a result of getting paid less, then we wouldnt have the negative junk news stories which we read to make us feel better about our own pathetic lives.

Face it, most of us would give our left nut to be getting paid 300,000+ to play the game we love, have thousands of fans adoring us, going to awesome parties and have ridiculously hot girls hanging around. As a result a lot of us would probably get drunk and make dicks of ourselves, put ourselves in compromising positions with girls, mix with shady characters and have an awesome time doing it.

Stop begrudging the lucky few who get to live the dream, after all we are posting our opinions on an internet forum.

No. When looking at the revenue of the game, they get a small percentage of that back in their pockets. I think it is less than 10%. They are what makes the game as big as it is, I think the average income of players should be higher.

Remove this Banner Ad

Are AFL Players Paid Too Much ??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back