Are Carlton on the verge of something great?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydneys only used 27 players in total this season....they're having a dream run with injuries and other teams aren't. Finals (as we all know) are a completely different game and if the Swans were to lose a prime mover or two (yes we know Mills and Parker aren't there...but they haven't been there all year) well then their balance would truly be tested.

They look great when they're up and going....but then so too do most sides.

Sydneys only used 27 players in total this season....they're having a dream run with injuries and other teams aren't. Finals (as we all know) are a completely different game and if the Swans were to lose a prime mover or two (yes we know Mills and Parker aren't there...but they haven't been there all year) well then their balance would truly be tested.

You need a good injury run to win a flag
Sometimes you get that

Durdin, Cowan, Cincotta, Fogarty, Hollands, Boyd

That's off top of my head
Blues lack an elite small forward. Motlop may be that player finals
4 of them are arguably not even best 22 for us at full health. Probably best to have a better understanding of our list before saying that idk.

Boyd and Fogarty are also fantastic role players, Boyds one of the highest rated kicks in the comp and a very good lockdown defender, Fogarty one of the best fwds in the league for pressure and goal assists.

I don't disagree about the lack of elite small fwd claim however. Imo our biggest flaw.

4 of them are arguably not even best 22 for us at full health. Probably best to have a better understanding of our list before saying that idk.

Boyd and Fogarty are also fantastic role players, Boyds one of the highest rated kicks in the comp and a very good lockdown defender, Fogarty one of the best fwds in the league for pressure and goal assists.

I don't disagree about the lack of elite small fwd claim however. Imo our biggest flaw.
Just went off the last game.v Essendon

He'll play vs ur mob this week yeah. Had a decent week in the VFL last round so expect him to be straight in. Martin, not too sure if they'll give him a week in the VFL or not but he's expected back too.
Big game.v Cats
I suspect you'll win but Cats were ok v Swans last week even with one of the weakest midfields in comp

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who said this?? We're nothing like that Richmond side. Docherty, Saad, Cerra, McGovern, Acres are all elite in their position and we have talented young kids like De Koning and Elijah Hollands. We're nothing like Richmond. That Richmond side actually was a bunch of spuds, carried by insane work ethic and defnesive pressure, combined with a penchant to infringe the opposition player and gamble on the Umpire not paying the free kick. Appreciate the faith you see in the Blues, but we're nothing like that Richmond side - our players are actually talented.

I mean, some of those spuds have three premiership medals and allowed Dusty to go through games without even attempting to tackle. They won three premierships in 4 years, and shoulda coulda woulda in '18; to describe their role players and non-stars as 'spuds' is just... bonkers. An inability to give credit where it is due.

It's like someone saying '**** me, but that's the worst double ton I've ever seen!'. Who gives a ****; when you can hit two hundred yourself then you can criticize.

I mean, some of those spuds have three premiership medals and allowed Dusty to go through games without even attempting to tackle. They won three premierships in 4 years, and shoulda coulda woulda in '18; to describe their role players and non-stars as 'spuds' is just... bonkers. An inability to give credit where it is due.

It's like someone saying '** me, but that's the worst double ton I've ever seen!'. Who gives a **; when you can hit two hundred yourself then you can criticize.
I'd agree with you in abstract, generally you couldn't contemplate a scenario where a side could be that good but be made of so many spuds. Unfortunately the Richmond side is the ultimate outlier. As I said in my original post, insane defense effort and a penchant for infringing the opposition player and getting away with it (i.e, the only thing that keeps Dylan Grimes on an AFL list). You have to give credit to their defensive effort but it doesn't make them talented and as for their cheating approaching to infringing the opposition, it's not something I value nor support.

In 2005 they used 25 players across the year. Pays to have a healthy squad.

Ignoring the trolling, Sydney already destroyed Carlton though. They take the whole game away from their opposition in one quarter which is reminiscent of peak Richmond. Just like we knew Collingwood would win the premiership last year from mid way through the season because of their ability to win close games, I think Sydney is also a straight forward premiership.

It'll take a special effort for Carlton or anyone to win it.

Yes, destroyed us at the SCG. Sydney much better on that day. Could be a little closer at the "G" in a big final no?

Remove this Banner Ad

Are Carlton on the verge of something great?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back