Are smilies punctuation?

Remove this Banner Ad

I've always wondered this, have asked it before (dunno if here, but somewhere).

Is a smiley a form of punctuation?

By this I ask, when a smiley is used at the end of a sentence, do you still need the full stop, or is the smiley an alternative to the full stop?

1) Hi there, I'm impressed. :)
2) Hi there, I'm impressed :) .
3) Hi there, I'm impressed :)

I go with #3, but surely there needs to be a blanket ruling?

I hate option 2.

I always use 1)

Originally posted by Spidergirl~RiCkChiCk
nothing worse than the totally bland one hit wonders round here who wanna get their name in lights with a single reply of :D :) or :rolleyes:
:mad:

I am by no means a linguil expert but I would say that the smilie would replace the full stop. It does the job in seperating the sentences so I don't think there would be a need for a full stop if there is a smilie.

I think there needs to be some sort of Internet dictionary written so we can get all of this straight.

Originally posted by CarterS
I am by no means a linguil expert but I would say that the smilie would replace the full stop. It does the job in seperating the sentences so I don't think there would be a need for a full stop if there is a smilie.

I think there needs to be some sort of Internet dictionary written so we can get all of this straight.

Presactly!

This is obviously tearing you up inside, Mobbenfuhrer, so I shall provide the answer that will bring you inner calm:

It doesn't matter. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would say "care factor = 0" but I've cared enough to comment, so I will up that to 0.5 out of 10.

I'm not sure it does matter, I use either #1 or #3, but not for any particular reason.

I'm more hot on stupid spelling mistakes.

Their instead of there

Loose instead of lose.

etc.

They change the meaning of sentences and make what ever was supposed to be conveyed make no sense at all.

Well I'm just having fun with the thought, just thought the advent of the smiley created a little quirk in the grammatical process.

Yeah their/there and loose/lose, LOL though sometimes I make the same mistake, more through not proofreading than through grammar fuss. I WAS once recently pulled up on You're instead of your, and felt ashamed as I'm normally pretty good with that.

'would of' instead of 'would have' gets to me, mainly because it makes me annoyed at our teaching process!

But back to subject at hand, maybe I can get a new grammatical rule named after me ... 'the mob rule', mayhap :)

Meh. Typos are no biggie, everyone does it.

Continuous error shows a lack of intelligence IMO.

As long as you don't start typing 'gr8'. :)

M8

Typos are handy, if someone's trying to converse with you and you just want a break, you put deliberate typos in a message saying how busy you are, and it looks like you're trying real hard to respond but you're really stressed out with stuff to do, so it throws a guilt trip at them. :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Are smilies punctuation?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back