• 5-6

Votes: 88 42.3%
  • 7-8

Votes: 74 35.6%
  • Outside the 8

Votes: 13 6.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we are a real chance to no longer be among the "also ran,s" maybe next year but certainly by 2017.

The club has put itself in a very good position for the next 8 to 10 years,just needs to come to fruition that,s all,the club are doing all in their power to be relevant.2 years without finals is a killer but we should be back soon,a young KPF would be very handy to go with Moore.

The youth excuse only applies so far, as we have a reasonably strong core and some highly talented seniors. I honestly believe a less gambling defensive gameplan can see us rocket up to 6-7th. Our boys rarely fail to have a dip but boy do we concede some bad goals.

I think we're a mild top 4 threat, no chance at a flag. I firmly believe that a majority of your team needs Preliminary final experience in order to have any chance at winning a Grand Final (winning, not making it to one), and I don't think we have that # of players in our best 22 anymore. Best case scenario is get to prelim, and then really challenge in 2017 IMO.

of course but we lost top 22 players also this year year also. purely from Starting position we are much better placed. last year you would say that Toovey / Goldsack / Blair would be starting 22. now I'd say not.
Yes and you are bring in 3 of the injured players as additions.
I'm with you on Blair. I am definitely not with you in Toovey if he is used correctly and undecided on Goldsack. He's no start but he's versatile. I'd rather he played as a marking forward than White and depending on matchups he's handy down back as well.

Not a flag threat yet... (but given West Coasts year anything could be possible).

I reckon 7-9 would be par, but 5-6 will be a pass mark (and what I'm tipping). I would be very suprised if we sneak into the top 4.

A lot depends on a number of factors, but 2015 has shown that our best football isnt far behind the best, and if we can do that consistently, and make the right decisions/execute better in tights games then that will make a huge difference - and hopefully these new guys, and the extra year for our group, can lead to that.

We are a big chance.

A fit Reid at CHB is huge for us, last two years he ain't played and we have struggled.

You look through our entire list and EVERY player could expect to have an improved season, even Pendles struggled at times.

Treloar is a huge in, bloke will push Pendles as our best mid right off the bat.

Natural progression from Grundy and Witts should hopefully see us actually have a big strength in the ruck soon.

Even Sidey and Greenwood both struggled with injury in 2015, would expect better seasons from both of them.

If the young guys develop, we should get to a point where guys like Goldie, Blair, Toovey and White can't get a game.

Every reason to be extremely bullish for 2016, top4 a big chance...if Reid and Cloke produce their best we could be the West Coast

It usually takes new recruits, especially young ones about a season to find there feet In a new team. Think Taylor adams, so I don't reckon we'll be anywhere near the top echelon of teams in 2016.

The aim next year is to get back to playing finals footy with the aim to win at least one game. This young group need that experience.

I think It's also important that next year we have a few more close games and see our boys step up and take ownership in the dieing minutes. We couldn't snag any close ones this year and I think we saw it take a chunk out of our boys confidence late in the season.

No. We're a bottom 8 side. Not really good enough. Some of our young.players just aren't that good yet.

To get into the 8 in 2016 we need to dislodge one of the following:

1 Fremantle - No
2 West Coast Eagles - No
3 Hawthorn - No
4 Sydney Swans - Maybe
5 Richmond - Yes
6 Western Bulldogs - No
7 Adelaide Crows - Maybe
8 North Melbourne- Yes

So there seems to be two spots available and i think that we would be competing for those two spots against:

Geelong
Port
St.Kilda - will be big improver

Will depend on things already mentioned plus our likely draw.

Might just sneak into 8th position which will be good experience.

St Kilda... Really??

Absolutely no reason why we cannot win the flag next year.

Reasons for this are:

• We stack up well against our competition. Leaving Hawthorn aside, we are every bit as good as West Coast on paper. Out of the other top 4 teams this year, we should go past Sydney and in my view Freo. Our list is now superior to the Dogs and the Tigers have not improved. North are no good. Hawthorn still the best team, and we should have beaten them this year without our additions and all the subsequent development since that stage.
  • Our midfield now has the elite players to complement the depth. We go deeper than anyone and the addition of treloar means we have an A grade starting midfield again - first time since 2011.
  • Continued development of our younger players i.e. Moore, Grundy, De Goey, Scharenberg.
  • We have a well balanced list - all key positions are covered except for maybe a bit of line-breaking pace and a small forward in the mould of Rioli.
  • Ben Reid is finally fit and over his injuries. Watch the difference he makes to the team next year.
  • History suggests Hawthorn will not win 4 in a row. We are as well placed as anyone to knock them off.
For me, top 4 is a minimum next year.

Dogs have a great young list and Richmond's list is at its peak and it was improved significantly with the trading in of Yarran.

I agree on you regarding the Sydney and Freo calls, they will struggle to reach the pinnacle again imo.

Hawthorn, Eagles, Dogs, Tigers are likely top 4. I tip Pies/Geelong/Sydney/Freo/Adelaide for positions 5-9.

We will fly right past North, who I think are extraordinarily overrated and somehow got through to the prelim.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In 2015 we had 16 guys on our list with 50 or more games including 9x 100+ gamers and 7 in the 50-100 game range.

In 2016 we start with 20 including 11 in the 100+ game bracket and 9 in the 50-100 range.

100+: Reid, Brown, Toovey, Goldsack, Pendles, Swan, Sidebottom, Cloke, White, Blair and Varcoe (NB: Young delisted but included here to highlight the 9 100+ gamers)

50 -100: Adams, Sinclair, Williams, Greenwood, Elliott, Fasolo, Treloar, Howe and Macaffer

Add to that the fact that all of Grundy, Frost, Langdon, Witts and Crisp could potentially join them in 2016.

Our age/experience profile has improved by 25% so I'd expect significant improvement on the back of that.

At the start of this season I thought 5-11 was our likely range with it more than likely we'd miss the 8. This year I think our range is 5-9 with it more than likely we'll finish 5-7.

Last edited:
To get into the 8 in 2016 we need to dislodge one of the following:

1 Fremantle - No
2 West Coast Eagles - No
3 Hawthorn - No
4 Sydney Swans - Maybe
5 Richmond - Yes
6 Western Bulldogs - No
7 Adelaide Crows - Maybe
8 North Melbourne- Yes

So there seems to be two spots available and i think that we would be competing for those two spots against:

Geelong
Port
St.Kilda - will be big improver

Will depend on things already mentioned plus our likely draw.

Might just sneak into 8th position which will be good experience.

Doggies draw will be so much tougher in 2016 because they've finished top 6. Hard to know how that will impact but could see them slip out of the 8.

I agree with all the above but I also see some extra things.
Darcy to be the White+ version that we thought we were getting and I would expect to see 30+ goals (very accurate as well).
Now having the better forwards the feeding of them will be far better as I can see Howe and Pendles roaming the wings and running through the corridor.
AT and Adams will be unbelievable to watch especially if AT can get some space as he has real pace and very good skills on both sides of the body for passing and scoring.
Adams disposal by foot was far better this year than in 2014.
Aish will be the surprise packet and he will show his real skills just like Crispy did this year.
Only real area of concern is if Bux can get Grundy under control - but I think that will be easier having AT and the new boys around him getting the ball.
2017 will be the start of the new era but 2016 will be great to watch and an outside chance - 4 to 6 finish.

Definitely, but as I've been saying all along, a lot still needs to go right.

- Decent year from Cloke
- FULL year from Reid
- Straighter kicking
- minimal injuries

Combined with this year's trade period, if the above 4 things happen next year, I reckon we're a serious threat.
Straighter kicking at goal...my god I'd love one day to be 12.4 instead of 4.12 wasting so much effort.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Are we a 2016 threat?

Back