Player Watch Ash Johnson

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Ash will retain his place this week and Kreuger will be brought in alongside him, up forward (with Frampton returning to defence and Dean omitted). Both AJ and Kreuger will be needed in bursts in the ruck against Gawn when Cameron needs a rest.

I’m probably clutching at straws but I cling to hope that some time in the ruck might rekindle some confidence and lighten AJ’s mental burden.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
When Ash is played down back or in the ruck, it’s to try and include him more because forward is failing.

Gawn would have a field day against AJ and it’s offensive to play AJ down back when there are clearly superior defenders.

I don't get the wraps on Dean. He has looked hesitant, slow and spoiled Darcy Moore's marking attempts more times than his opponent's against the Dogs. I don't see how he displaces Moore, Frampton, Howe or Maynard for medium/tall defender roles.....unless the plan is for Howe to finish his career as a forward?

Alternatively, if Dean's getting games as part of plan to turn Frampton into a forward then I predict that it will be a disaster and weaken us at both ends of the ground. Even a mentally fried Johnson is better up forward than Frampton.
I don't think he's looked particularly hesitant. 3/4 of his games have seen our midfield get eaten alive, which has put him under a lot of pressure.

I suspect he learnt to spoil his fellow KPDs marking efforts from Moore himself. To me, the plan is clearly for him to replace Howe. He's a nice interceptor of the play and often takes aggressive options when he has the footy

Ash was the player I had the highest hopes for before the season started proper. It ‘s difficult watching him at present and part of that is my own expectations and hopes. Thought the switch to defence might change things for him. However, right now it seems each moment just overwhelms him while it’s happening then the next opportunity comes and the same thing happens. He seems defeated but going through the motions. Wish I had an answer but he just seems to be in a deep rut of some kind. Hope he can sort it out but I just don’t feel he can be selected at present.
It is a pity that we cannot inject him with some of the individual and/or collective DNA that runs through the Queensland State of Origin team. Then he would be overflowing with really strong physical efforts & repeated second & third attempts at the ball & massive levels of desperation regardless of having to break through pain barriers for an entire game. Sadly, one can only dream. Goodnight & good luck.

It is a pity that we cannot inject him with some of the individual and/or collective DNA that runs through the Queensland State of Origin team. Then he would be overflowing with really strong physical efforts & repeated second & third attempts at the ball & massive levels of desperation regardless of having to break through pain barriers for an entire game. Sadly, one can only dream. Goodnight & good luck.
Bloody Queenslanders😜

When Ash is played down back or in the ruck, it’s to try and include him more because forward is failing.

Gawn would have a field day against AJ and it’s offensive to play AJ down back when there are clearly superior defenders.
Personally i'd like to try Ash down back and try Dean forward, Dean reminds me a little of Brodie in that he will compete and that what we need for our small forwards. where as ash will just get out marked

Personally i'd like to try Ash down back and try Dean forward, Dean reminds me a little of Brodie in that he will compete and that what we need for our small forwards. where as ash will just get out marked
AJ has been playing defence in the VFL and hasn't done much. I agree that Dean could be tried forward though

Don't try to fix what isn't broken. Our defence is doing just fine with our current crop of defenders.

There was a time this year when Johnson deserved to get dropped from the VFL team to a lower division, the only reason he wasnt dropped from the VFL was because he has an AFL contract.

IIRC Heritier Lumumba played in the division below VFL early in his career despite having an AFL (rookie) contract.

Dunno if it is still possible?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually was relieved to see him named in the VFL. Think he ideally should have remained there working on things but desperate measures last week saw him get a game.

Hopefully he can string together some consistently good performances in the VFL and build his confidence back.

Ditto dean, he actually played all his junior days as a forward and parts of his VFL before they trailed him down back
I still don't think you can just flip a player. He played for Sandringham and Vic Metro as a forward but was nothing special.

Defender is clearly his most successful position.

Surely he’s done as a forward with that Kreuger performance. We should hopefully have enough forward depth with WHE considered a back up kpp, Mihocek and McStay to back and with Reef and Eyre in the VFL.

Play down back for the rest of year to see if that’s an option and assess in the off season.
I think Ash has the talent to be in our best 23 and make us better. At the moment he is a long way off so playing him down back may not be a bad solution and on top of this the forward service our VFL side is providing at the moment is not going to help him get back into form.

Challenge for Kreuger is to back that up and keep on the ground.

I think Ash has the talent to be in our best 23 and make us better. At the moment he is a long way off so playing him down back may not be a bad solution and on top of this the forward service our VFL side is providing at the moment is not going to help him get back into form.

Challenge for Kreuger is to back that up and keep on the ground.
Where exactly would AJ play and who would he replace and upon what evidence do you believe he has the talent to be a best 23 player?

Johnson seems a caring kind mannered bloke. I just don’t know if he has the competitive edge to switch off that niceness on the footy field

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Ash Johnson

Remove this Banner Ad

Back