Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 6, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester City
Hey guys,

Hopefully this is the appropriate place to ask this, if not feel free to move.

Just wondering on the progress of this bloke, used to play against him in the juniors over here and he was obviously a jet but I didn't see any of him last season.
Was he injured or just struggling to find his feet? Any WAFL viewers see much of the kid and how'd he travel?

Thanks for your help.

He struggled to make much of an impact in the AFL with Perth in 2009 but by memory he played a few good games in the latter part of the season.

I watched the videos of him soon after he was drafted and was very impressed - especially with his speed.

By the way I like the suggested nickname given to him by a Big Footy poster. FLASH!!!

That's what I'll be calling him - hopefully in a few main games this year. Cheers

Have seen him play a few games for Perth Seniors late in 2009 .

Seem to be finding his feet now after a bad start with Andrew Jarman playing in the seconds at Perth initially .

Should be in West Coast team this year , if not trade bait :confused:

I don't think he'll be trade bait after his second season. Especially after alot of positive talk from the club.

It's been well documented that he clearly lacked the endurance to play AFL with queries over his work rate. But with positive training reports I can only see him on the up.

Hey guys,

Just wondering on the progress of this bloke, used to play against him in the juniors over here and he was obviously a jet but I didn't see any of him last season.
Was he injured or just struggling to find his feet? Any WAFL viewers see much of the kid and how'd he travel?

Thanks for your help.

Reports from the club have been very encouraging, he is a beautiful kick and is starting to learn our defensive systems under Daniel Metropolis who has been very impressed with him this preseason so far.

If he can start to improve his endurance will become a very very good prospect for the club, very excited about him.:thumbsu:

He got Jarmaned for a while. That bloke really is a dick

In what way?

Was it true that the WAFL club was told to play him or lose him?

I recall he had a couple of niggles last year in pre season which held him back and was also struggling with the work load stepping up from junior footy to senior footy.

From reports he has really lifted his work rate this pre season and has impressed the coaching staff and team mates.

Likewise, I'm looking forward to seeing him debut in 2010.

In what way?

Was it true that the WAFL club was told to play him or lose him?

I recall he had a couple of niggles last year in pre season which held him back and was also struggling with the work load stepping up from junior footy to senior footy.

From reports he has really lifted his work rate this pre season and has impressed the coaching staff and team mates.

Likewise, I'm looking forward to seeing him debut in 2010.

West Coast met with Perth , after Smith kept in Reserves for longer then expected . ( after injury )

Perth given the option of playing in league or forfeit the player to another WAFL club .

I think Jarman thought Smith needed to follow game plan more closely and prove to him he was up to league standards before getting a game . Whatever happened Perth were flying at the end of the year and Smith was playing a role in the backline with some very good performances !!

Hes a bit of a twat but Adam Selwood pretty much sat him down and said unless you change your attitude, you will be gone by seasons end. Told him to stick to him like glue all season and since then has got his fitness levels and attitude levels up tenfold.

Was one of the most unfit players at the club and is now one of the fittest. Had alot of problems at his old WAFL club for kind of disrespecting the playing group in lamens terms. Nearly got kicked out of the club altogether but he apologised to everyone and vowed to change his ways etc.

Hes got talent, now hes got the attitude. Hes essentially one year behind everyone else so id expect only glimpses this year. Needs to tear up the WAFL on a consistent basis given Brad Sheppherd is gunning for his chance too at the same spot

Hey guys,

Thanks for your help.

BMM, Smith was held back by injury in the first half of the season, don't think he played until round 7 or 8.

One of the last games of the season Perth played my black and whites and Smith was quite good in that game. Attacked off half back, had a chance to kick a winning goal, but it was a tieing point instead. Spoke to Sullivan after the match and he said that Smith was starting to come along really well at the end of the season.

As others have already noted, he is supposed to be flying this pre-season and I guess we'll see when the intra-club scratchie is on in a couple of weeks.:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No way is he trade bait.

Had plenty of injury concerns before the 2008 draft and had a slow start to 2009 season as well. Coming across the county is tough and he was simply just going through the motions at training. Adam Selwood did take him to one side and tell him to lift his game and follow him, i think thats great because he always had the talent in terms of skills and smarts.

Adjusting to the standards required for AFL football is not going to be easy especially for Victorians coming to WA, if Smith can improve his workrate and intensity then i think we have special player on our hands. Thankfully we have the Selwood brothers who can always extend some advice and assistance to those that need it.

No way is he trade bait.

Had plenty of injury concerns before the 2008 draft and had a slow start to 2009 season as well. Coming across the county is tough and he was simply just going through the motions at training. Adam Selwood did take him to one side and tell him to lift his game and follow him, i think thats great because he always had the talent in terms of skills and smarts.

Adjusting to the standards required for AFL football is not going to be easy especially for Victorians coming to WA, if Smith can improve his workrate and intensity then i think we have special player on our hands. Thankfully we have the Selwood brothers who can always extend some advice and assistance to those that need it.

Not just the Selwoods either, there are a lot of players around his age that are ultimate professionals, guys like Shuey, Swift, Stevens and Masten all are driven and have strong ethics. Smith is and will have to follow their example as he won't want to be left behind given his talent.

[/b]

Not just the Selwoods either, there are a lot of players around his age that are ultimate professionals, guys like Shuey, Swift, Stevens and Masten all are driven and have strong ethics. Smith is and will have to follow their example as he won't want to be left behind given his talent.

Certainly and i like the fact the club is staked with U18 Captains such as Masten, Ebert, Shuey, Stevens (AIS Captain) and the likes of Swift who was vice captain in the U16's and in the AIS Leadership group.

I was just thinking more of the Selwood brothers being from Victoria.

[/B]

Yeah, sounds like blokes like Masten, Selwood and Ebert are real workhorses on the track. That draft is going to provide the grunt of our midfield for years to come

Remove this Banner Ad

Ash Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

Back