Ashley Sampi

Remove this Banner Ad

Is he worth looking at? In my opinion absolutely, we could get him for probably a 3rd-4th round draft pick or even in the PSD. With the Wizz only have another 2-3 years left in him and Colalrd more a mid than a small forward it could be worth looking at. He could rejuvinate himself a little playing and trining next to thte Wizard.

Is he worth looking at? In my opinion absolutely, we could get him for probably a 3rd-4th round draft pick or even in the PSD. With the Wizz only have another 2-3 years left in him and Colalrd more a mid than a small forward it could be worth looking at. He could rejuvinate himself a little playing and trining next to thte Wizard.

No thanks

Nah. Last thing we need is a mentally unstable player... We have a few of our own to contend with... Although playing alongside all the indigenous guys we have, at a club where their culture is celebrated and encouraged, might help to settle him a little. But I would still rather look to a future that includes some young fellas rather than a guy who has already proven his head isn't really there for AFL footy.

Nah. Last thing we need is a mentally unstable player... We have a few of our own to contend with... Although playing alongside all the indigenous guys we have, at a club where their culture is celebrated and encouraged, might help to settle him a little. But I would still rather look to a future that includes some young fellas rather than a guy who has already proven his head isn't really there for AFL footy.

Sounds a lot like Graham Polak to me......

Not unless he's free in the PSD. Too many good WA players in this coming draft to consider him.

Sounds a lot like Graham Polak to me......

Polak was an ill-disciplined party boy. He never self-harmed, threatened anyone with a knife, disappeared for days without informing his club...

Doesn't sound anything like Polak.

The only similarity is they are both Top-10 picks from the same draft, and while both of them have shown flashes of excellence in their careers to date, neither of them have grabbed hold of the opportunities given to them... Polak might make it at Richmond, but I think Sampi's "issues" are very different from Polak's.

Difference is we already have Jeffrey...

So what's to say Sampi wouldn't be a star here? Jeff had a very similar breakdown when playing for Melbourne around his age but we picked him up in the end, do you think anyone regrets it?

If there is room in the salary cap and we don't have to give anything up for him then I see no problem in giving him a year. He is a massive talent and is still young.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So what's to say Sampi wouldn't be a star here? Jeff had a very similar breakdown when playing for Melbourne around his age but we picked him up in the end, do you think anyone regrets it?

If there is room in the salary cap and we don't have to give anything up for him then I see no problem in giving him a year. He is a massive talent and is still young.

Yeah but Jeff got himself sorted out during his time in Melbourne and was playing fantastic footy for the Dees when he came "home" to Freo. Sampi isn't even close to getting himself sorted out - and him changing clubs wouldn't involve coming "home"...

I can't see him playing for Freo anyway. Simply (IMO), if he gets himself sorted personally and physically, he'll stay at West Coast; if he doesn't, then he probably won't play anywhere, and we don't want / need him...

He has hardly done anything Jeff hasn't and he is everyone's hero.

I think Sampi is great and if it was going to cost us nothing, we should pick him up.
It would cost a place on the list and that's way too much.

Sampi is lost and needs a lot of help and support probably of the psychological kind.

Which is why I think Summerthebat warms to him. You met him in reception didn't you?

It would cost a place on the list and that's way too much.

Sampi is lost and needs a lot of help and support probably of the psychological kind.

Which is why I think Summerthebat warms to him. You met him in reception didn't you?

What the ****?

I give my opinion and you have a go at my character?

**** your mouth you piece of shit.

Even though I don't think we should get him to be honest, he has shown flashes of class, there is no need for that Ralph, your talking like a true eagle, ignoring the topic of Football and trying to focus on someone else's character, even though its false. This is like what the media was doing to jeff for years just kept having a go at him, even though he was/is playing great footy instead of saying great work by farmer, its more like yeah well hes got problems so lets not like him for it.

Keep on topic Ralph.

wizard, if you look hard to the west (and a little north too) you'll probably be able to see Sampi from your home there in SA.

Sampi is the last player we should be looking at. Ignoring his 'problems' over the past year or so, what exactly did he actually do after taking that mark? I'd rather see us take our chances with a 17 year old than Sampi. Lets hope if the unthinkable happens and we end up with sumich as coach he doesn't bring baggage like Sampi with him.

wizard, if you look hard to the west (and a little north too) you'll probably be able to see Sampi from your home there in SA.

Sampi is the last player we should be looking at. Ignoring his 'problems' over the past year or so, what exactly did he actually do after taking that mark? I'd rather see us take our chances with a 17 year old than Sampi. Lets hope if the unthinkable happens and we end up with sumich as coach he doesn't bring baggage like Sampi with him.

Exactly!!

Don't be so short sighted.

Aboriginality is celebrated at Fremantle. Thier is a strong brotherhood amongst the players who identify with the Aboriginal people. Fremantle has always taken great care with family customs and respecting their individual needs.

Interestingly, during Worsfold reigns, not one Aboriginal player has been drafted by the Eagles. Culminating in only 2 Aboriginal players (Sampi + Wirrpanda) remaining on the list. The lowest in the AFL.

I wouldn't be surprised 1 bit if Sampi could come to Fremantle and turn it around. He would be a GREAT acquisition, presuming he comes cheaply.

Don't be so short sighted.

Aboriginality is celebrated at Fremantle. Thier is a strong brotherhood amongst the players who identify with the Aboriginal people. Fremantle has always taken great care with family customs and respecting their individual needs.

Interestingly, during Worsfold reigns, not one Aboriginal player has been drafted by the Eagles. Culminating in only 2 Aboriginal players (Sampi + Wirrpanda) remaining on the list. The lowest in the AFL.

I wouldn't be surprised 1 bit if Sampi could come to Fremantle and turn it around. He would be a GREAT acquisition, presuming he comes cheaply.

rgauci, I agree that the Aboriginal players we have and have had at Fremantle are wonderful - most of them are favourites and they have certainly given us all a lot of fabulous memories over the years. I think we have a very strong group of Aboriginal players at our club, and lets not forget that a few of them have had their own personal battles, but they have got themselves out of it and continued on playing good positive football.

Sampi has been given every opportunity to succeed in the AFL and it all just seems a little too hard for him. I personally have my doubts about the eagles ability to handle players with problems, but that's a whole other story. I just don't believe we are in a position where his upside is enough for us to give him a chance.

Throw a late round pick at the eagles.

Fact remains ability wise he has it all...Just needs to get his head right.

To those of you reminding us of Polak...How is he going over at the Tigers?

New team , new start.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ashley Sampi

Remove this Banner Ad

Back