Employment Asking about pay in an interview

Remove this Banner Ad

coolbananas

Rookie
Aug 22, 2006
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hi all,

I am going for an interview at an accounting firm tomorrow. The job advertisement didn't specify a salary range. I have heard mixed views but I am just wondering if people think it is acceptable to ask about a salary range in an initial interview?

Also, what do you think would be a decent salary for an accountant with 2 years experience about to commence CPA? 50-60k?

Cheers.

Also, find a connection (any connection) with existing staff or peer competitors and try and ascertain what your competition is earning.

Let them bring up the isse of salary - when you answer, talk about "fair compensation" for the "value" you bring to the organisation - depending on the size and how well your skillset matches their needs, they may be prepared to "reach" to obtain your services. Focus on the net benefits you provide.

Hi all,

I am going for an interview at an accounting firm tomorrow. The job advertisement didn't specify a salary range. I have heard mixed views but I am just wondering if people think it is acceptable to ask about a salary range in an initial interview?

Also, what do you think would be a decent salary for an accountant with 2 years experience about to commence CPA? 50-60k?

Cheers.

Your target is maybe a little ambitious depending on your actual experience and skill. If your experience is in the field at a company with a good reputation, then your range is right, if not, then your basically starting at point one (I would expect to be asked why I hadn't started my CPA if i had 2 years experience under my belt).

In your initial interview, I wouldn't ask this question. The interview is for you to sell yourself to the company - you don't want to come across as only in it for the money. That being said, if you get called into a second and final interview, it would be a more appropriate setting.

Thanks guys.

I had the interview this afternoon and it went fairly similar to what simon_nesbit described. They bought the issue up about what my salary expectations were and I told them the range and about fair compensation, and what I could bring to the firm. The interviewer seemed happy with that.

I think it went really well! I will let you know how I go!

Thanks for all of your help.

Cheers.

Thanks guys.

I had the interview this afternoon and it went fairly similar to what simon_nesbit described. They bought the issue up about what my salary expectations were and I told them the range and about fair compensation, and what I could bring to the firm. The interviewer seemed happy with that.

I think it went really well! I will let you know how I go!

Thanks for all of your help.

Cheers.
Hopefully you get it. I haven't been interviewed in years, except for last March when I had one (as I was looking for a potential job change.)
I was stressing about the same thing.
Then they brought it up.

Best of luck.

Hi all,

Cheers.

I usually don't ask at all.

I usually don't ask at all.
I cant agree with that. If it is not stated in the ad or not mentioned by the interviewer you have a right to ask. We ALL do work for money in the end.

I agree that the first interview is not the time to be doing it unless asked. However it is more then acceptable to discuss in subsequent interviews.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Before I started the job I have now, my main motivation was to get experience. Experience on your resume is invaluable in the long term, if you ever pursue a job in the future.

It was also in my contract that I would should never ask other colleagues what their wages are or salary is.

I have made it a habit if the salary isnt listed in the job ad, to ask when offered an interview

As it has happened to me at least 3 times in the past where i have gone to an interview, been offered the role only to find the salary is below my expectations (or it comes up in the interview)

SO now if i see a job i like i will apply, and if no salary was listed, i ask the salary on offer or tell them my expectations and then if its too low i thank them and move on, i havent wasted my time or their time...

If they ask in the interview what you expect, you should ask what the range is. Never offer a spread first as you may well be selling yourself short, and they get a good employee for peanuts.

Agreed that you need to know what the money is at some point. My current position, I waited til the second interview. I didnt quite get what I wanted in $$$, however the full use of a vehicle and a smartphone sealed the deal!

Remove this Banner Ad

Employment Asking about pay in an interview

Remove this Banner Ad

Back