Aussies Aussie Watch - Paris 2024 - Paralympics 28 Aug - 8 Sep

Remove this Banner Ad

Following suggestion from Satan and approval from moderator Jeremias, this is the thread to put stuff about Aussies selected or potential selected athletes over the next 50 odd days in the build to Paris, which starts on 26th July.

AdelaideGT has started a thread for the Swimming Trials so swimming stuff should be put in that thread.

Since the last summer Olympics, the AOC has produced a Weekend Wrap, that they talk about Aussie performing around the world and comes out Monday arvo. That's a good starting point. Here are the last 4 weekend wraps including Monday's and another article.

3 weeks ago - Canoe sprint, Triathlon, Diving, Athletics, Water Polo, Table Tennis, Road Cycling, and Wrestling covered

2.5 weeks ago - final Olympic qualifying tournaments for BMX Freestyle, Skateboarding, Rowing, Boxing, Judo, Archery, and Volleyball.

2 weeks ago - Skateboarding, BMX Freestyle, Athletics, Sailing, Judo, Golf, Table Tennis, Road Cycling and Water Polo covered.

1 week ago - Gymnastics, Athletics, Rowing, Triathlon, Beach Volleyball, Surfing, Road Cycling, Boxing and Tennis covered.

Monday's wrap - Women's Rugby Sevens, Canoe Slalom, Athletics, Tennis, Beach Volleyball, Weightlifting, Hockey, Football and Golf covered

Edit twitter/ instagram accounts of Australian federation of various sports

Last edited:
The last weekend wrap I linked above, made me recheck Jessica Fox's Olympic and World Championships record the other day and for the first time compare her place in the slalom canoeing world. It was the 75th world cup medals and I knew she had won over a dozen world championship gold medals.

Canoe Slalom - Jess Fox wins World Cup season-opener​

Olympic champion Jessica Fox issued a timely reminder of her class 55 days out from the Paris Games, winning canoe (C1) gold at the first World Cup of the season in Augsburg, Germany.

Coming off a disappointing kayak final on Friday, where she missed a gate and finished ninth, Jess bounced back to take gold in the women’s C1 final by more than eight seconds. The Olympic champion picked up an early gate touch but put together a perfect run for the rest of the race, claiming the 75th World Cup medal of her career.

“I’m just so relieved to finally put down a good run,” Jess said. “It’s been a tough weekend, it’s been wet and harsh, I’ve been trying to manage the nerves that come with the first World Cup of the season, but now I’m thrilled to be back on the podium, and to be on the top step.”

Fellow Paris 2024 Australian Olympic team member Tristan Carter finished sixth in the men’s canoe final. The tour now moves to Prague, Czech Republic for the next World Cup which starts on Thursday where the final three Olympic Games quotas for kayak cross will be decided.

Jess Fox at World Championships has won 14 golds 5 silvers and 3 bronzes for 22 medals which makes her the female GOAT at Slalom world champs. Her mum Myriam is second with 8 golds and 2 silvers, and second in total medals is 16 by British canoeist Mallory Franklin who won silver behind Jess in new C-1 event in Tokyo.

In the men's Slovakian Michal Martikan has won 15 golds and 23 medals in total, but his career ended 5 years ago. Her dad Richard has won 10 golds and a silver.

But they are total medals which including team events.

Jess stands out as the GOAT as she has won 10 individual gold medals and 16 individual medals. Mum only won 2 individual titles and next highest is 4 on the women's tally.

For the men, Michal Martin has 4 golds and 11 medals in totals, the most total medals, but four men including Jess' dad Richard have won 5 golds.

Jess has been involved in 14 of the 15 gold medals won by Oz slalom canoeists.

See all the medals tallies in the bottom half of this link

At the Olympics she has won 4 medals 1 gold 1 silver and 2 bronzes, which is the most medals by any women in slalom events. But that is partly because there has been so few events for women.

Prior to Tokyo, only the K-1 was contested by women and Tokyo was the 9th time it was an Olympic event. At Tokyo the C-1 was introduced and in Paris Jess will compete in a third event the Kayak Cross. Her World Championship record is marginally better in the C-1 event over the K-1 event, but she has won gold twice in the new Kayak Cross event.

A couple of women have won back to back gold in the K-1 before Jess started in London 2012, but over the last 3 Olympics Jess has won 1 silver and 2 bronze and Spanish canoeist Maialen Chourraut has won a gold silver and bronze at them. See all women's Olympic medallist, both Slalom and Sprint ( ie flat water) at following link;

1717741633775.png

Last edited:

Does anyone else find the Channel 9 promo to the Olympics... kind of naff?

The song they play in the background is the massive hit, "Ca plane pour moi"

It sounds French but... the guy is Belgian.

Is this ignorance, or do they just think we are all stupid and don't know the difference?

More Channel 9 watch than Aussie watch, but I do get pumped up a bit when they have their Paris promo to Plastic Bertrand's - ca plane pour moi (this works for me). Its a banger and a toe tapper, but given it was released in 1977, I would have thought they could find another couple of more modern French songs to mix up their promos a bit.

About 10 years ago SBS one night on their Tour de France coverage, they did a video montage to the French version of David Bowie's We Can Be Heros. I'd like to see 9 do a video mmontage near the end of the games to that French version.

The last weekend wrap I linked above, made me recheck Jessica Fox's Olympic and World Championships record the other day and for the first time compare her place in the slalom canoeing world. It was the 75th world cup medals and I knew she had won over a dozen world championship gold medals.

Canoe Slalom - Jess Fox wins World Cup season-opener​

Olympic champion Jessica Fox issued a timely reminder of her class 55 days out from the Paris Games, winning canoe (C1) gold at the first World Cup of the season in Augsburg, Germany.

Coming off a disappointing kayak final on Friday, where she missed a gate and finished ninth, Jess bounced back to take gold in the women’s C1 final by more than eight seconds. The Olympic champion picked up an early gate touch but put together a perfect run for the rest of the race, claiming the 75th World Cup medal of her career.

“I’m just so relieved to finally put down a good run,” Jess said. “It’s been a tough weekend, it’s been wet and harsh, I’ve been trying to manage the nerves that come with the first World Cup of the season, but now I’m thrilled to be back on the podium, and to be on the top step.”

Fellow Paris 2024 Australian Olympic team member Tristan Carter finished sixth in the men’s canoe final. The tour now moves to Prague, Czech Republic for the next World Cup which starts on Thursday where the final three Olympic Games quotas for kayak cross will be decided.

Jess Fox at World Championships has won 14 golds 5 silvers and 3 bronzes for 22 medals which makes her the female GOAT at Slalom world champs. Her mum Myriam is second with 8 golds and 2 silvers, and second in total medals is 16 by British canoeist Mallory Franklin who won silver behind Jess in new C-1 event in Tokyo.

In the men's Slovakian Michal Martikan has won 15 golds and 23 medals in total, but his career ended 5 years ago. Her dad Richard has won 10 golds and a silver.

But they are total medals which including team events.

Jess stands out as the GOAT as she has won 10 individual gold medals and 16 individual medals. Mum only won 2 individual titles and next highest is 4 on the women's tally.

For the men, Michal Martin has 4 golds and 11 medals in totals, the most total medals, but four men including Jess' dad Richard have won 5 golds.

Jess has been involved in 14 of the 15 gold medals won by Oz slalom canoeists.

See all the medals tallies in the bottom half of this link

At the Olympics she has won 4 medals 1 gold 1 silver and 2 bronzes, which is the most medals by any women in slalom events. But that is partly because there has been so few events for women.

Prior to Tokyo, only the K-1 was contested by women and Tokyo was the 9th time it was an Olympic event. At Tokyo the C-1 was introduced and in Paris Jess will compete in a third event the Kayak Cross. Her World Championship record is marginally better in the C-1 event over the K-1 event, but she has won gold twice in the new Kayak Cross event.

A couple of women have won back to back gold in the K-1 before Jess started in London 2012, but over the last 3 Olympics Jess has won 1 silver and 2 bronze and Spanish canoeist Maialen Chourraut has won a gold silver and bronze at them. See all women's Olympic medallist, both Slalom and Sprint ( ie flat water) at following link;

View attachment 2012982
It looks like Noemie Fox will compete in the Kayak Cross after qualifying for the Australian quota spot on the weekend. Another member of the family off to the Olympics. https://www.nine.com.au/sport/olymp...-cross-meeting-in-prague-20240610-p5jkkc.html

Does anyone else find the Channel 9 promo to the Olympics... kind of naff?

The song they play in the background is the massive hit, "Ca plane pour moi"

It sounds French but... the guy is Belgian.

Is this ignorance, or do they just think we are all stupid and don't know the difference?
Channel 9 probably thinking...."people won't know. Belgian or French same thing".

It looks like Noemie Fox will compete in the Kayak Cross after qualifying for the Australian quota spot on the weekend. Another member of the family off to the Olympics. https://www.nine.com.au/sport/olymp...-cross-meeting-in-prague-20240610-p5jkkc.html
Dont know about other countries but closest Aussie family would be gold medal equestrian Bill Roycroft and his 3 sons Wayne, Barry and James, a couple of them were on the same 3 day event team as Bill and Wayne's wife Vicki also was an Olympian.

Diving – Paris preview in Adelaide as Olympic nominations decided​

Australian divers Melissa Wu, Cassiel Rousseau, Maddison Keeney and Kurtis Mathews all claimed national crowns at the Australian Open Championships and Nomination Trials in Adelaide over the weekend. In claiming the titles, all four are set to be nominated for Australian Olympic Team selection for the Paris 2024 Olympic Games.

Melissa, Ellie Cole and Emily Meaney went head-to-head for the Australian title, and the win gives the 32-year-old a chance to become the first diver to represent Australia at five Olympic Games. “To know that Olympic selection is a real possibility is really incredible feeling and looking back now on my career, I can appreciate the gravity of what this competition means,” Melissa said.

Cassiel, the 2023 men’s 10m platform world champion, put on a dominant display to edge 18-year-old Jaxon Bowshire. With two men’s 10m platform spots on the Olympic Team up for grabs Jaxon, a South Australian local, put in a performance which is set to see him nominated for the Olympic Team as well.

“It’s been a wild ride to get here but I'm really happy with that result,” Jaxon said. “To have my friends and family here made a difference, hearing the cheers before and after the dive was great support.”

With two quota positions available for the women’s 3m springboard, Maddison Keeney delivered a decisive performance to take out the Australian title. Maddison, who has already secured her ticket to Paris 2024 for the women’s 3m synchronised event, has now also earned the opportunity to represent Australia in the individual event. Alysha Koloi and Georgia Sheehan battled it out for second place, with Alysha prevailing in a tight contest. “I’ve dreamt of this moment since I was five years old and I still don’t have the words but it really means everything to me,” Alysha said.

The men’s 3m springboard saw Kurtis Mathews tough it out with Tokyo 2020 Olympian Shixin Li for the title and the one quota position on offer. Kurtis’ final score of 1402.15 prevailed over Shixin, defeating the 36-year-old by 98.5 points.

Canoe Slalom – Noemie Fox eyes kayak cross at Paris 2024 with World Cup silver​

Noemie and Jess Fox have come away from the Prague World Cup as the silver sisters, and Noemie the opportunity to join Jess on the Paris 2024 Australian Olympic Team.

After Jess finished the women’s canoe and women’s kayak events with two silver medals, all eyes were on Noemie Fox in the women’s kayak cross to see if she would qualify Australia a spot in the new Olympic event for Paris 2024.

In back-to-back racing on the final day of competition, Noemie was nothing short of impressive, having to compete in five races before booking a spot in the final where she staged a stunning come from behind performance to take the silver medal.

With only three quota spots on offer, the stakes couldn’t have been higher. But Noemie is a seasoned professional, holding her nerve and executing her game plan to give Olympic Team selectors an opportunity to select the 27-year-old for an Olympic debut.

“Paris has always been a distant dream and one that I wanted to latch onto, while staying a little bit rational knowing that there were so many steps to get to this day and where we are,” Noemie said. “It’s been such a long journey and I feel so grateful to have had the most incredible support team here with me.”

Swimming – Nine Aussies swim Aus Olympic qualifying times on trials opening night​

....... see swimming thread for latest

Hockey - Hockeyroos conquer world no.3 Germany in thrilling shootout​

The Hockeyroos have continued their winning ways at the FIH Pro League in London, defeating Great Britain and Germany in the space of 24 hours.

Coming off a comfortable 3-0 win over world no.5 Great Britain, the Hockeyroos were fired up for a clash with Germany that went right down to the wire. They recovered from a 2-0 deficit, then with 40 seconds remaining and the teams tied at 2-2 Aussie goalkeeper Jocelyn Bartram stepped up to save a direct shot on target and the match went into a shootout.

"It's always difficult trying not to get too caught up in what comes next and staying in the moment in the game, so it was good to make that save and give the girls a chance to get the extra point," Jocelyn said.

The Hockeyroos only had one miss in the shootout, which was enough thanks to Jocelyn whose two great saves allowed Kaitlin Nobbs to deliver for Australia, smashing it on the turn to secure the 4-3 shootout win.

Hours later the Kookaburras found themselves on the other end of a penalty shootout against the world champions, going down 2-2 (4-5) to Germany. The Kookaburras were on the cusp of passing Argentina for top spot on the FIH Pro League season five standings with a win. Tom Craig and Tim Brand both found the back of the net once to force the penalty shootout.

"It's a great opportunity for us,” Jake Harvie said. “To come over to Europe right before the Olympics and play some great teams is fantastic. And as much as we would like to have scored a few more in regular time, getting to do a shootout is an awesome opportunity for us."

The Hockeyroos and Kookaburras have a day to review, rest and recover before facing Germany again on Wednesday morning. The Hockeyroos will play after the Kookaburras at 2.45am AEST.

Tennis - Ebden returns to world no.1, de Minaur jumps inside top 10​

Matt Ebden and Ravindra Bopanna's (IND) run in the Roland Garros men's doubles has come to an end in the semi-finals.

Playing at what will be the Paris 2024 tennis venue in just 45 days time, the 2024 Australian Open champions went down 5-7 6-2 2-6 to Italy's Simone Bolelli and Andrea Vavassori.

Shooting – Munich World Cup brings out personal-best performance for Olivia Cartwright​

Olivia Cartwright shot a new personal best in the women’s 50m rifle three positions at the ISSF Pistol & Rifle World Cup elimination event in Munich with a score of 576, finishing 45th in her relay.

Sergei Evglevski finished the men’s 25m rapid fire pistol in 15th place with a score of 582.

Surfing - Quarter-finals exits for Aussie pair in El Salvador​

The El Salvador stop of the World Surf League Championship Tour was a tough test for the Australian contingent of six.

Best placed were Paris 2024 bound athletes Jack Robinson and Molly Picklum, who were both eliminated in the quarter-finals when pitted against Yago Dora (BRA) 14.54 v 11.50 and Gabriela Bryan from Hawaii 15.16 v 12.10 respectively.

This week's AOC Weekend Wrap.

Jess Fox earned her 51st World Cup gold medal after taking out all three canoe slalom events in Poland and the Australian Swimming trials finished with a 41-strong pool team selection to highlight the weekend in Olympic sport.

Canoe Slalom – Jess Fox wins three World Cup gold medals at last event before Paris​

Olympic gold medallist Jess Fox has made history becoming the first paddler to bring home three gold medals at a single ICF Canoe Slalom World Cup.

After winning both the canoe and kayak events on the weekend, Jess collected her 49th and 50th individual World Cup gold medals. On Monday she took on the kayak cross event to secure the 51st gold.

Read more here.

Swimming – Australian Olympic Swimming Team selected for Paris 2024​

After an incredible week of swimming, 41 of the nation’s top swimmers were selected for Paris 2024 at the conclusion of the Australian Swimming Trials..
.......... See swimming trials thread for more Aussie info.

Rowing – Aussie rowers top the medal table at Rowing World Cup III​

A successful third and final World Cup for Aussies rowers concluded in Poznan, Poland with Australia topping the medal table.

In the women’s single sculls, Tokyo 2020 Olympian Tara Rigney completed a commanding victory, taking home gold in 7:34.62, a whole 6.76 seconds ahead of Germany in second place.

The women’s pair of Jessica Morrison and Annabelle McIntyre took out the final in a time of 7:15.73 to bring home gold ahead of Ireland and Denmark.

The women’s double sculls final saw Australians Amanda Bateman and Harriet Hudson clinch first place over Norway by 0.29 seconds.

The two women’s eight teams topped the competition taking out gold and silver in the final over The Netherlands and Romania.

The men’s eight took out their event in 5:32.48, 5.69 seconds ahead of Germany in second place.

The men’s and women’s four both placed second to New Zealand whilst the women’s quadruple sculls placed third, 10 seconds behind Germany in first.

The men’s pair placed sixth in the final just 1.16 seconds behind Great Britain in fifth place.

View the results here.

Archery – Archers continue chase for 2024 quotas​

Archers competed in the Final World Qualification Tournament over the weekend with the Aussies going down in the men’s and women’s team events.

The men’s team of dual-Olympian Ryan Tyack, Peter Boukouvalis and Jai Crawley finishing in 17th overall with the top three teams earning quotas for Paris.

The women’s team was headlined by Laura Paeglis and supported by Sarah Haywood and Kim Lavender. They placed 9th overall with the top four nations earning quotas for Paris.

Their focus now switches to World Cup III beginning Wednesday 19 June in Antalya, Turkey where archers will compete for their final shot at vying for a place on the Australian Olympic Team.

Golf – Grace Kim second in LPGA Tour event after playoff finish​

Sydney’s Grace Kim has suffered a heartbreaking playoff defeat to be denied a second LPGA Tour win at the LPGA Classic in Michigan.

Grace began the final round at Blythefield Country Club with a five-stroke lead, an advantage that had been erased completely by the time she stepped onto the fifth tee.

Grace had a putt to win at the first playoff hole with an eagle try from just off the front edge of the green but had to hole a three-footer for birdie to match by both Thompson and Vu.

At the second playoff hole, Grace needed to hole a six-footer to stay in the playoff but an awkward lie right of the fairway and subsequent lay-up at the third playoff hole – the par-5 fourth – opened the door for Vu to clinch victory by getting up-and-down for birdie from the greenside bunker.

Despite the disappointment of falling just short, Grace acknowledged that it is another step forward in her young career.

Read more here.

Tennis – De Minaur moves to world no.7 after win in The Netherlands​

Alex de Minaur will rise to a career-high world No.7 after lifting a ninth ATP singles trophy in ‘s-Hertogenbosch.

The Aussie claimed a straight-sets win over Sebastian Korda to lift a second grass-court trophy. The 25-year-old was the top seed at a tournament for the first time in his career.

Read more here.

RussellEbertHandball who are your athletes to watch out for in the breakdancing?
Haha Im not up to date on that

But I have seen a couple of stories on France 24 English news service over that last 3 months or so, talking about the history of break dancing in immigrant areas of Paris in particular, but all of France in general, and they were very confident that their athletes will win gold in both men's and women's events.

Talking about France 24 English news which is on around 7am and 8am on both SBS One and SBS Viceland they have been showing more stories about the Paris games the last few weeks.

On Sunday morning on France 24 I saw an interview with the deputy Mayor of Paris selling the virtues of the Seine and how it is getting better water testing readings every day, which will be used for the open water swimming and the triathlons. Bur from what I have read their e-coli readings fluctuate a fair bit, with a lot of days at high levels and I wouldnt be surprised if these events get cancelled or moved to somewhere else. I assume they have a back up course somewhere.

If you are a night owl, SBS World Watch channel 35 between 1.30am and 5.30am evwry day, dont have any foreign language news services and they rotate every day between France 24 English and Germany's DW English news services.

The France 24 longer sports segment is usually when they show stories about the Paris venues and preparations.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Azzopardi was ranked 57th before this race and only 56 get to go to the Olympics. This would have helped but I don't know what Place ranking points he gets for this event. But if he doesn't make it, still good form for the 4x100m relay.

There is stuff going on all around the world nearly everyday in athletics the last couple of weeks as people try and get an Olympic qualifier before the 30th June deadline.

In women's pole vault 4.86 is world leading jump this year and 7 have jumped higher than Nina, but 6 were indoors, and 4 are American who will sort out their 3 who go to Paris at their cut throat Olympic trials starting on Friday morning USA time in Eugene at Hayward field and ending on 30th June.

Last edited:
I found out this arvo that Australia has the #1 ranked trap male shooter in the world at the moment, and is Olympic favourite. He was on the 5AA Sports Show this arvo and is in Adelaide at the moment for some fundraising to go to Paris - well I think for the lead up events.

James Willet got the #1 Trap shooting ranking in May.

Oz has won 5 gold 1 silver and 5 bronze medals in shooting at the Olympics, and all bar 3 bronze medals, have come from men's and women's single and double trap events.

It makes sense that Aussies are good at using a shot gun, given our rural heritage.

The Olympics out of embarrassment have removed the 1900 Paris Olympics Live Pigeon shooting event from the record books where Aussie Donald Mackintosh won bronze according to David Wallechinsky's 1996 Olympic bible, The Complete Book of the Olympics, that he produced every 4 years for the 1984 to 2012 Olympics.

The late Australian Olympic historian Harry Gordon lobbied the IOC to recognise Mackintosh for winning a shooting gold medal in 1900 for the same/similar event. In his 1994 book - Australia at the Olympics at pages 444 and 445, there is a letter from the IOC dated 10 July 1992. One paragraph says;

On the basis of our research in the archives of the IOC, we may state the following about three Australians who participated in the 1900 Games.

* Donald Mackintosh won a gold medal in a controversial event, game shooting, which was officially and erroneously considered as an archery event according to some sources, and a bronze medal in live pigeon shooting, a shooting event. Most probably he won both events in shooting.

Mackintosh also used a shotgun to win his medals and according to Gordon's book, in his prime he was considered the finest shot in the world and travelled Europe on the shooting circuit at the time, live game included, which had prize money and he used to pay his way to the Olympics.

Harry in his book added them to Oz's total medal count.

If you look at Mackintosh's wiki page it says - "However, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) later reversed its decision and reclassified the events as non-Olympic." They show the 1900 medals in his record on the RHS but struck out. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Mackintosh_(shooter)

I raise this because I've linked the interview with 5AA and Stephen Rowe raises this 1904 St Louis Olympics live pigeon shooting event in the interview, reading out a text from a listener.

Here is an article from Shooting Australia from 6th of May that talks about James and fellow trap shooter Penny Smith

The Australian Shooting Team is today celebrating some overnight success after securing two medals at the ISSF World Cup in Baku, Azerbaijan. Newly ranked world number 1 James Willett secured the gold medal in the Men’s Trap event, while Penny Smith, current world number 11, secured the silver medal in the Women’s Trap event.

Willett shot 121 out of 125 targets during the two days of qualification, and went into the final as the 5th highest qualifier out of the six male finalists. Willett was too strong in the final, missing only a couple of early targets and then an additional two later in the final, as he increased his lead over Slovakian, Filip Marinov. Willett closed out the final with a score of 46 out of 50. Marinov won the silver with a score of 42. The bronze medal went to Jean Pierre Brol Cardenas (GUA).

This is Willett’s 16th World Cup medal and 7th gold medal...........

Last edited:

12th June 2024

Shooting Australia has since received confirmation from the ISSF that Australia has been allocated 12 quota places. These quotas include 2 in Women’s Trap, 1 each in Men’s and Women’s Skeet and 1 each in the Men’s and Women’s Pistol and Rifle events. The ISSF has also advised that a direct athlete quota has been received by James Willett in Men’s Trap based on his Qualification Ranking for the Olympic Games (QROG).

Monday arvo's AOC Weekend Wrap.

Weekend Wrap: Big-time Olympic Qualifying Series performances in skate and cycling, beach volleyball win secures Paris berths and more​

Olympic champion Keegan Palmer and Arisa Trew have shown they are capable of anything at the skate park in Paris after winning the Paris 2024 Olympic Qualifying Series in Budapest, while Aussie men secured an extra Paris 2024 beach volleyball quota to highlight the weekend in Olympic sport.

Skateboarding – Park & Street - Olympic qualifying series gold for two gold for skateboarders in Budapest​

Australian skateboarders Keegan Palmer and Arisa Trew have claimed gold in the men’s and women’s park events at the final of the Olympic Qualifier Series (OQS) in Budapest overnight.

The duo, who both hail from the Gold Coast, capped off an impressive run for the Aussies in Budapest.

Keegan Palmer, the Tokyo 2020 Olympic champion, was back at his best with a winning run of 94.94, to give him the confidence boost he was searching for as he prepares to defend his gold medal in Paris. “There are no words, I’m just speechless at this point. It was very stressful, watching three people land 90s, before I had to drop in, is quite a scary feeling. I’ve learnt to control those feelings now and it worked out today,” he said.

14-year-old Arisa Trew won back-to-back gold medals at the OQS as she eyes off nomination to her first Olympic Games.

“It felt really fun and I was really happy with how I did, I’m just amazed right now. My first run didn’t go as well as I wanted to. “When I landed my second run I didn’t really think that it would be a winning run. I thought I could probably be like top five or four. When I saw it (the score) I was in shock,” she said.

In the women’s street, top seed Chloe Covell finished fifth after she decided not to contest her final trick, suffering a bruise to her heel during one of landings.

Australia has qualified nine spots for the Paris Olympic Games across the global standings and World Skate qualification, with Skate Australia to nominate athletes to the Australian Olympic Team, with the final team selection expected to be made next week.

Cycling – BMX Freestyle – Diehm delivers for Olympic qualification​

Also in Budapest as part of the Olympic Qualifying Series (OQS), Natalya Diehm finished fifth in the women’s BMX freestyle final to take the last Paris 2024 auto-qualification spot for Australia.

Her first run in the final scored 90.86, the second-best score in round one among the 12 riders. It ended up being Natalya's best score after both runs were completed, which placed her fifth less than three points behind the winner Hannah Roberts’ (USA) 93.48.

Overall, in the qualification standings, which also takes into account how the athletes performed at the first OQS event in Shanghai last month, Natalya finished seventh in the world and fellow Aussie Sarah Nicki 15th.

Read more.

Beach Volleyball – Extra Aussie spot in Paris men’s beach volleyball secured​

Australia’s beach volleyballers have earned a second quota for the Paris 2024 Olympic Games, after winning the Asian Beach Volleyball Continental Cup Final in China.

The teams of Izac Carracher/Mark Nicolaidis & Paul Burnett/Jack Pearse both faced China today, with the results of the first two matches forcing a third match decider.

Paul/Jack put up a fierce fight but fell just short in their match up against Chinese pair Wang Y. W./J. Li, going down in straight sets (0:2 | 20-22, 20-22).

Mark/Izac were pushed to a third set in their first match, taking an eventual win (2:1 | 21-17, 20-22, 16-14).

With the wins split one apiece, Mark/Izac faced Chinese pair Wu Jiaxin/HA Likejiang in a third ‘golden’ game, with the winner booking a ticket to Paris for their country.

“It was a little bit stressful out there to be completely honest, at a few points in the game it might have looked like we were down and out,” Mark said. “The biggest thing we did was we just stuck together as a team, we showed some heart, we fought hard and let the scoreboard take care of itself,” he said.

Archery – Aussies put in final performance ahead of Paris​

Six Australian recurve archers were in Turkey for World Cup III for their last opportunity to press their case for Australian Olympic Team nomination.

Tokyo 2020 Olympian Ryan Tyack, Peter Boukouvalas and Jai Crawley were all competing in the men’s recurve, with Ryan placing 33rd, Peter 70th and Jai 73rd.

Laura Paeglis was the highest-placed woman, also 33rd, while Kim Lavender and Sarah Haywood finished 73rd and 89th respectively.

One men’s archer and one women’s archer have the chance to make the Paris 2024 Australian Olympic Team, with Archery Australia set to nominate athletes to the Australian Olympic Committee in the coming week.

Tennis – Tomljanovic runner-up at Birmingham Open​

Ajla Tomljanovic’s comeback from injury has gathered strong momentum after going on a run to the Brimingham Open singles final on the weekend.

She defeated four top-60 ranked opponents to get into the final, where Yulia Putintseva was waiting. The Tokyo 2020 Olympian rallied from dropping a quick first set to push Putintseva to the limit in the second, going down 1-6 6-7 (8-10). The performances have seen Ajla handed a wildcard entry to Wimbledon next week.

Golf – Women’s Olympic qualifying period ends in Washington​

Hannah Green and Minjee Lee have finished the two-year Olympic qualifying period as Australia’s top ranked women’s golfers, putting the finishing touches on their top-15 world rankings at the women’s PGA Championship event in Washington.

Athletics – Peyton Craig makes bid for Australian Olympic Team​

800m runner Peyton Craig has laid down a Paris 2024 Olympic qualifying time in Vienna over the weekend, finishing in 1:44.12. Queensland-based Peyton’s breakthrough time is also the third fastest 800m in Australian history.
[More on this in the between Olympics thread]

Remove this Banner Ad

Aussies Aussie Watch - Paris 2024 - Paralympics 28 Aug - 8 Sep

Remove this Banner Ad

Back