Aussies Aussie Watch - Paris 2024 - Paralympics 28 Aug - 8 Sep

Remove this Banner Ad

I know the Olympic TV broadcasters all around the world love the tear jerker story and go over the top with these stories, but after watching Kai Sakakibara tell his story and his sister's story 2024 BMX World #1 ranked Saya, its hard not get a bit emotional about them.

Win gold, a medal, make the final, or lets bloody hope it doesn't happen, another crash, its gonna be a big tear jerker story again.

If Saya doesn't crash, I think she wins the gold

The only thing I hate about that sport is the final is only one race should be best of 3 or something

Great to watch though

Predictable but well deserved for Jess and Eddie to be the flag bearers. Jess has a Saturday arvo event but said she wasn't going to knock it back.

My God
Who designed those uniforms?

The only thing I hate about that sport is the final is only one race should be best of 3 or something

Great to watch though
Totally agree with you. You can be first all through to the final and get super unlucky, somethings happens outside your control, and it’s over. I know, I know it’s the nature of sport, it created the Bradbury, but it is very harsh.

Totally agree with you. You can be first all through to the final and get super unlucky, somethings happens outside your control, and it’s over. I know, I know it’s the nature of sport, it created the Bradbury, but it is very harsh.

Yeah for me the final is just Russian roulette and is that really what you want? Not so sure really

Had no idea that Chloe Covell is the daughter of former NRL player Luke. Good to see him letting her pave her own path and not trying to get in the her limelight at every opportunity like some parents seem to do.

I know the Olympic TV broadcasters all around the world love the tear jerker story and go over the top with these stories, but after watching Kai Sakakibara tell his story and his sister's story 2024 BMX World #1 ranked Saya, its hard not get a bit emotional about them.

Win gold, a medal, make the final, or lets bloody hope it doesn't happen, another crash, its gonna be a big tear jerker story again.

I will have the alarm set for this one.

A little bit of Xavier Duursma?

I wasn't at all inspired by Jessica Mauboy's song for the Olympic team - Higher. Saw it / heard it for the first time tonight after the flag bearers were announced on 9 and some speeches made. It sounds a bit generic.

Last week I went looking for the video of John Schumann's speech about PTSD and how his 1983 song I was only 19 struck a cord with not only Vietnam Veterans but others who have served for the ADF post Vietnam, and have come back home with PTSD. He wrote it after talking for hours and recording the conversations with his brother inlaw Mick Storen who went to Vietnam as a conscripted 19 year old. The song is his story.

With the Olympics being in the foreground, I had to look up the 1988 song he co-wrote with the Oils Rob Hirst, Angry Anderson and a couple of other musos called You're Not Alone. It was a fund raiser to help send the team to Seoul.

Back in those days Oz only won 3 or 4 gold medals and 12 to 15 medals in total and it was a real struggle for athletes as AIS scholarships were just a new thing and corporates didn't really get behind athletes, and there wasn't much government funding, a lot better than for Montreal and Moscow but still lacking. There was lots of fundraising by athletes in those days.

I bought the single, still have it, and taped it and took it with me to Canada for my 12 month working holiday and played it a few times when I got a bit homesick.

It has a catchy hook, you can really hear Rob Hirst's pounding of the skins and Angry Anderson gets the best lines IMO.

Its not quiet a super group like the 1987 Gudinski Australian Made concert series where a whole lot of Aussie acts played and then performed together the last couple of songs for the night. But there are musos, celebrities, TV and radio personalities on it to try and spread the word and raise money for the team.

I found this on the Eurogliders youtube channel. I picked Grace Knight was one of the singers. There's about 1/3rd of them that I'm struggling to name. Have a crack if the 1980's music is your vintage. Not the greatest quality but plenty of mullets and big hair.

Last edited:
John Coates replacement as AOC President in May 2022 Ian Chesterman has been elected as an IOC member. Chesterman has been Chef de Mission of several teams both Winter and Summer Olympics.

Coates probably made sure of that as I think he steps down at the end of the year. Ok that's yes according to the AOC story.

Chesterman was one of eight new Members elected. His membership is linked to his function as President of the AOC and commences on January 1, 2025.

The Tasmanian-based sports administrator has a long history with the Olympics, having first attended the 1988 Olympic Winter Games in Calgary as a media representative. Since then he has been at a further 11 Olympic Games, leading the Australian Team as Chef de Mission at six Olympic Winter Games (Nagano 1998 to PyeongChang 2018) as well as at Tokyo 2020.

He is the only Australian to have the honour of leading teams across Winter and Summer Games, providing him with a rare insight and deep understanding of the work of the IOC, the role of the host city and the importance of placing the athletes at the heart of movement.

Chesterman has served on the Executive of the Australian Olympic Committee since 2001 and was Vice President from 2016 until being elected President in 2022.

He is Vice President of the Organising Committee for the Brisbane 2032 Olympic and Paralympic Games and an Executive Member of the Oceania National Olympic Committees (ONOC).

Chesterman feels that his engagement across so many different aspects of the Olympics leaves him well placed to add value to the IOC when he commences in January next year.

He becomes the 13th Australian to serve as an IOC Member across the 130-year history of the organisation.

“The honour of being elected as an IOC Member provides me with an even greater opportunity to serve the Olympic movement and make a further contribution to something so close to my heart,” Chesterman said. “I believe in the power of sport to impact lives and communities, and the IOC and the Olympic movement does so much good work around the world creating opportunities for our youth and inspiring the generations to come.

“It’s an incredibly exciting time to be involved, particularly with Australia hosting another Olympic Games in 2032. “I feel I have the knowledge and the background to successfully represent the IOC in Australia and I’m highly motivated to ensure we deliver the best possible Games in Brisbane that further enhances the position of the Olympic movement in Australia and around the world,” Chesterman said.

Chesterman will take his place as a member as current IOC Vice President, John Coates, completes his final term as an IOC Member on December 31, 2024.

“I’m particularly honoured to follow in the footsteps of John Coates as an IOC member in Australia who has made an extraordinary contribution, and I congratulate him on being voted in as an IOC Honorary Member at the Session as well,” Chesterman said. Coates knows the workings of the IOC intimately and believes his successor is well qualified for his new role.

“I am very pleased for the IOC and I am very pleased for Ian. As Chef de Mission of seven Winter Olympic and Summer Olympic Games Teams and President of the AOC, Ian has devoted himself to the service of the athletes who are at the core of our movement. “Ian is ideally qualified to represent and promote the interests of the IOC in Australia and with all his Games’ experience, play a key role in the organisation and delivery of the 2032 Olympic and Paralympic Games in Brisbane,” Coates said.

Four-time Australian Olympian Cate Campbell is Chair of the AOC Athletes’ Commission and has seen Chesterman’s work up close as AOC President and as Chef de Mission of her final Team, to Tokyo 2020.

"I would like to congratulate Ian on his appointment. I have been fortunate enough to work closely with Ian over many years and can think of no-one better suited to the position. “Watching Ian in his roles of Chef De Mission for the Tokyo Games and then President of the AOC has been a masterclass in leadership. His collaborative and athlete centred approach to sports administration is effective and inclusive. “Today's decision by the IOC will not only benefit athletes in Australia, but athletes all over the world," Campbell said.

The 8 new members were rubber stamped by the IOC Executive Board in June before today's vote. But Johnny Coates becomes an honorary member because he has passed his age limit, so he still is on the gravy train.

Two IOC Members proposed as Honorary Members

The EB also agreed to put forward to the Session for election as Honorary Members, as of 1 January 2025, two Members whose terms of office are coming to an end.
  • Mr John Coates (Australia, Independent Individual, year of birth: 1950, elected in 2001)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Least Jess got it haven’t really heard of the other one but 5 Games is an outstanding achievement

AUS almost always pick flag-bearers who are in their 4th/5th/6th Games - even if they haven't medalled too much.

Meanwhile US picks Coco Gauff in her first Olympics..

AUS almost always pick flag-bearers who are in their 4th/5th/6th Games - even if they haven't medalled too much.
Every Flagbearer has been a 3 time Olympian except for 1980 (Moscow, because of the Boycott), 1948 (London, after they skipped the previous 2) and 20,24,28 when I assume 3 time olympians are hard to come by.

Coco is such an out of the box pick. Could be an availability issue though. More and more athletes are choosing to avoid the Village for as long as possible.

Every Flagbearer has been a 3 time Olympian except for 1980 (Moscow, because of the Boycott), 1948 (London, after they skipped the previous 2) and 20,24,28 when I assume 3 time olympians are hard to come by.

Coco is such an out of the box pick. Could be an availability issue though. More and more athletes are choosing to avoid the Village for as long as possible.

Becomes the youngest ever one for the US and you know how much the US likes these things. Lebron and Coco isn’t the worst selection

Good start for Australia overnight, with our men’s rugby 7s team winning both of their group matches.
They face Argentina tonight in their final group match.

The second day of competition sees a few more Australian’s take centre stage.

Copied across from @Drummond’s daily threads…

Day -1 highlights:
  • Archery begins at 5:30pm with the women’s individual ranking round. Laura Paeglis will represent Australia. The men begins at 10:15, with Peter Boukouvalas in action.
  • Rugby 7’s, Australia vs Argentina at 10:30. Huge match. Two of the contenders, both undefeated last night.
  • Matilda’s begin their campaign at 3am, against Germany. Massive ask to start.

• Matilda’s begin their campaign at 3am, against Germany. Massive ask to start.

As soon as Kerr wasn't available it was. Group of death too with the USA in the group too. Be lucky to get a point against either, and Serbia don't look to be pushovers so getting goal difference could be problematic. I never like this way of playing football, but we'd be smart to almost play ultra defensively tonight, a 0-0 draw is a great result, boring for most but it's playing the system.

I thought the stuff on 9 was really good last night, bar somehow McGuire being shoe horned in as MC.. loved Meares not at all being interested in small talk haha
But the story on the Sakakibra's was really well done, and I thought the bits where they had family members talking about what it means, how they will be etc... especially after having to stay at home last games was really lovely as well

I thought the stuff on 9 was really good last night

So did I. I'm no big rugby 7's fan but since I woke up about 2am (body & mind getting ready for next coupla weeks) I put the telly on.

The human interest clips were good during the lulls. But I don't want to see them 20 times over. And not when there are 30 live events happening.

For anyone who wants to follow the Matildas we have a dedicated Matildas Olympics thread on the Football Australia board.
Link below:

If there is anyway the mods robbieando peternorth Jeremias can pin the link somewhere on the board that would be great.

Cheers all

For anyone who wants to follow the Matildas we have a dedicated Matildas Olympics thread on the Football Australia board.
Link below:

If there is anyway the mods robbieando peternorth Jeremias can pin the link somewhere on the board that would be great.

Cheers all

Would you like it pinned within the football board? Or placed on the Olympics board?

Remove this Banner Ad

Aussies Aussie Watch - Paris 2024 - Paralympics 28 Aug - 8 Sep

Remove this Banner Ad

Back