Aussies Aussie Watch - Paris 2024 - Paralympics 28 Aug - 8 Sep

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't watch the surfing semi, but I imagine what happened to Robinson in the final happened to Medina in the semi. That's unfortunately what can happen. Robinson lost his opening heat, then beat the gold and silver favourites, then lost to a youngster not even on the pro tour yet (but born and raised in Tahiti). Fantastic result considering the fickle nature of the ocean.

Not meaning to offend any surfing fans and absolutely no disrespect to any of the surfers, but surfing as an Olympic sport is ridiculous IMO. So dependant on the waves. Way too many variables.

You could make the case in a number of sports though, weather plays a huge factor and luck is a factor.

Dam not a big surfing person, this feels brutal, just watching them float around waiting for the last 20 minutes and he never got his chance.

Not a sport for me haha
Normal competition they restart the heat if no decent waves coming through in the first 10 minutes. Not sure why they move away from that for Olympics. The Governing body ISA is different to the World surf league though.

They basically were dealt a shit hand with what mother nature served up. A couple of epic days, but the wave isn't one that seems to perform well when conditions aren't cranking. At least with beach breaks they are rideable even with minimal swell. Which is why I was critical over the selection of Tahiti to host.

There's a lot of skill on normal conditions around strategy and wave selection, even before the execution od maouvres. But when only 3 scoring waves roll through, I think they'd be rethinking a lot of things. Maybe they need to extend the competition window back before the opening ceremony to allow the possibility of getting some of the quali rounds out of the way.

On another note, August isn't a great time of year for surfing in Queensland. I hope they have some contingecies in place for 2032.

Normal competition they restart the heat if no decent waves coming through in the first 10 minutes. Not sure why they move away from that for Olympics. The Governing body ISA is different to the World surf league though.

They basically were dealt a shit hand with what mother nature served up. A couple of epic days, but the wave isn't one that seems to perform well when conditions aren't cranking. At least with beach breaks they are rideable even with minimal swell. Which is why I was critical over the selection of Tahiti to host.

There's a lot of skill on normal conditions around strategy and wave selection, even before the execution od maouvres. But when only 3 scoring waves roll through, I think they'd be rethinking a lot of things. Maybe they need to extend the competition window back before the opening ceremony to allow the possibility of getting some of the quali rounds out of the way.

On another note, August isn't a great time of year for surfing in Queensland. I hope they have some contingecies in place for 2032.
The commentators mentioned the 10 minute thing but the set they caught came through at about 9.30 elapsed

The commentators mentioned the 10 minute thing but the set they caught came through at about 9.30 elapsed
I haven't got to watch all of todays finals, but I think in the Medina-Robbo semi they mentioned that there would be no restarts. But yeah, in the above case, it wouldn't have mattered. Perhaps they could have extended heats to 45 minutes. LIke I said, a lof to think about for next time with formats, rules etc.

You could make the case in a number of sports though, weather plays a huge factor and luck is a factor.
Of course, but to this extent? Biathlon for example in the individual races where the start times all vary, you might get wind/snow which impacts the skiing conditions and difficulty of shooting. But coaches can select where they want their athletes to go, and they can plan for it. Surfing I feel like it’s just a lottery on what times. Sometimes it’s totally outside your control.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of course, but to this extent? Biathlon for example in the individual races where the start times all vary, you might get wind/snow which impacts the skiing conditions and difficulty of shooting. But coaches can select where they want their athletes to go, and they can plan for it. Surfing I feel like it’s just a lottery on what times. Sometimes it’s totally outside your control.

Sure and for the record I can’t say I’ll be watching much surfing can appreciate it. However a lot of sport has weather, winds for jumpers, on the water you won’t get calm conditions every time for that sport.

I haven't got to watch all of todays finals, but I think in the Medina-Robbo semi they mentioned that there would be no restarts. But yeah, in the above case, it wouldn't have mattered. Perhaps they could have extended heats to 45 minutes. LIke I said, a lof to think about for next time with formats, rules etc.
There were to be no re-starts today.

Not meaning to offend any surfing fans and absolutely no disrespect to any of the surfers, but surfing as an Olympic sport is ridiculous IMO. So dependant on the waves. Way too many variables.
The problem the olympic competition had was time pressure. In normal WSL comps they have a bigger time window. No way would they have held the comp in today's conditions if they had more time up their sleeve.

The early stages of the competition had very good surf.

That being said, once Vaaast posted a near perfect second wave score, that meant there was no point in Robinson going after lesser waves. There likely would have been more action if Vaast hadn't put Robinson into a position where he could only go for waves with 8+ point potential.

Is there a better format they could use? The 1v1 format doesn't seem to suit being a spectator sport.

they have similar issues with sailing and windsurfing

Sports like surfing, BMX and 3-a-side basketball is a way of keeping the Olympics modern, relevant, and watchable.

Cricket is making a comeback for the LA and Brisbane Olympics.

No restarts and a shortened event window hurt then, not sure why it had to wrap up today. They took a gamble that it would be double overhead and an epic spectacle but it didn’t pay off. The beach breaks in the south would have been more predictable but c’est la vie.

And you’re right about August here, I’m assuming it will be at Snapper but hopefully that can be flexible and move it to Duranbah if needed.

1984 was the South Aussie games

Dean Lukin - Pt Lincoln
Glynis Nunn
Michael Turtur = Team Pursuit

3/4 Gold

Honestly haven't heard of any of them, only ones I would have heard of are the swimmers maybe.

Remove this Banner Ad

Aussies Aussie Watch - Paris 2024 - Paralympics 28 Aug - 8 Sep

Remove this Banner Ad

Back