Aussies Aussie Watch - Paris 2024 - Paralympics 28 Aug - 8 Sep

Remove this Banner Ad

Dont mention Jane Saville :disrelieved:
Discovery Shut Up GIF by Shark Week

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great effort by Jemima Montag to walk for the bronze after starting 5th or 6th at last change over. And well done to to her teammate Rhydian Cowley.

Two medals in the same Games for Jemima.

Last Aussie to do that was another walker - Jared Tallent in 2008.

Prior to that it was Raelene Boyle in 1972.
How do most of these athletes end up in race walking?

No offense to the sport but I can’t imagine it’s most kid/young athlete’s first choice. Are they coming across from distance running?

No offense to the sport but I can’t imagine it’s most kid/young athlete’s first choice. Are they coming across from distance running?
Can't run .

I don't know...

I went to school with a guy who competed at 2 Olympics in the 20k walk. He was walking by year 12 and didn't make Olympic team till late 20s. He completed a lot in cross country in high school

Yes - a lot of walkers say they were better at distance runners in Little Aths, but still not quite fast enough. And a coach said to them 'you should try walking'.

Not always though - I think Jane Saville was into swimming/surf life-saving early on and Kerry Saxby was good at both running and walking.

A lot of hurdlers start out by not being quite fast enough over the sprints.

Jemima has said she went out to little athletics and tried everything and this was the event that she end up doing best at.

Remove this Banner Ad

Aussies Aussie Watch - Paris 2024 - Paralympics 28 Aug - 8 Sep

Remove this Banner Ad

Back