Aussies Aussie Watch - Paris 2024 - Paralympics 28 Aug - 8 Sep

Remove this Banner Ad

That was a sensational race in the team pursuit, the poms really gave it to the Aussies and that last lap would have been mightily close
Yeah Hayter turned it on before the mishap.

What actually happened there? Did the bike break, did they touch wheels, did he just lose control?
I don't know. I literally just watched the replay haha

Ok I’m going to list somewhat realistic gold chances remaining - telll me if I’ve missed anything:

• Women’s Javelin (Little / Mitchell)
  • Women’s 1500 (Hull)
  • Men’s K4
  • Men’s K2
  • Men’s Sprint
  • Women’s Madison
  • Women’s beach volleyball
  • Boxing men’s 57kg
  • Boxing women’s 75kg
  • Stingers
  • Opals
  • Women’s golf (Minjee)

Other somewhat realistic medal shots

• Women’s 10k open water (Johnson, Gubecka)
  • Men’s 10 k open water (Sloman)
  • Taekwondo men’s 80 kg
  • Mens omnium
  • Men’s K1 500

Ok I’m going to list somewhat realistic gold chances remaining - telll me if I’ve missed anything:

• Women’s 1500 (Hull)
  • Men’s K4
  • Men’s K2
  • Men’s Sprint
  • Women’s Madison
  • Boxing men’s 57kg
  • Boxing women’s 75kg
  • Stingers
  • Opals
  • Women’s golf (Minjee)

• Taekwondo men’s 80 kg
  • Mens omnium
  • Men’s K1 500
Aren't our golfers a mile back?

Opals won't beat the US in the SF unfortunately, they haven't lost a game since 1992 and they won't lose one now.

I think the K500 and maybe the women's beach volleyball will probably be it for us but if we can win those 20 gold is a mighty effort and a record by some way. If only we didn't botch a number of other gold opportunities (eg women's hockey, rugby 7s who had looked invincible before choking badly)

Opals won't beat the US in the SF unfortunately, they haven't lost a game since 1992 and they won't lose one now.

I think the K500 and maybe the women's beach volleyball will probably be it for us but if we can win those 20 gold is a mighty effort and a record by some way. If only we didn't botch a number of other gold opportunities (eg women's hockey, rugby 7s who had looked invincible before choking badly)

Hannah Green is way back in the golf but Minjee is 7th after round 1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Minjee is -1 with the leader Boutier at -7 but second is only 4 under so if Boutier has a middling round then everyone else is right in it.

Fair point re Opals but I felt it was fair enough to include anyone in a semi.

Mollie O in the 100 and Sam Short having a shocker games also cost us in the pool, but there's not a lot that started favourite and didn't win. We've certainly exceeded expectations.

Minjee is -1 with the leader Boutier at -7 but second is only 4 under so if Boutier has a middling round then everyone else is right in it.

Fair point re Opals but I felt it was fair enough to include anyone in a semi.

Mollie O in the 100 and Sam Short having a shocker games also cost us in the pool, but there's not a lot that started favourite and didn't win. We've certainly exceeded expectations.
Rugby 7s were a clear favourite. Choked twice.

I'd argue our female hockey team was up there as well.

We didn't win a few in the pool we were expected to.

Done well overall because we pulled a few we weren't expected to.

• Women’s 1500 (Hull)
  • Men’s K4
  • Men’s K2
  • Men’s Sprint
  • Women’s Madison
  • Boxing men’s 57kg
  • Boxing women’s 75kg
  • Stingers
  • Opals
  • Women’s golf (Minjee)

• Taekwondo men’s 80 kg
  • Mens omnium
  • Men’s K1 500

Men's diving 10m platform. Would be easy to assume China will go 1-2, but Rousseau beat them both to win the 2023 world championships.

Such a shame with the men's water polo. Up 7-6 with one minute left. Would have to be the toughest competition in the whole Olympics. Look how close every quarter final was. The four teams that finished 1-2 all lost to the 3-4 teams. We beat Hungary and Serbia who are now in the semis. Spain won every pool game and then got beaten. Could play the tournament 8 times and get 8 different winners.

What actually happened there? Did the bike break, did they touch wheels, did he just lose control?

It appears he was trying a little too hard and just came out of his saddle and almost lost control of his bike.

This is from the BBC website.

'My whole body went weak'​

Despite a strong start, Britain's men trailed Australia by tiny fractions of a second for most of the 4,000m race and were getting closer at under two-tenths of a second behind as they started the final lap.
But Hayter, who was leading the GB train, came out of his saddle in the closing 200m and almost lost control of his bike as Australia took the victory.
"We were so close and I could see it. I just really gave too much, my whole body went weak and I really struggled to hold myself on the bike in the end," Hayter told BBC Sport.
"Sorry to the guys but I think we gave everything and we can be proud of that silver medal."
I've always found the Team's pursuit to be one of the most exciting and skillful races at the Olympics, to stay that close to your teammates while travelling at those speeds (65/70kmph) requires amazing levels of fitness and bravery.

Rugby 7s were a clear favourite. Choked twice.

I'd argue our female hockey team was up there as well.

We didn't win a few in the pool we were expected to.

Done well overall because we pulled a few we weren't expected to.

Yeah pretty much the rugby 7’s was a shocker both games, should never have gone near not playing off for gold at least. Hockey was only an outside chance such a young team will be better in 4 years. The only gold we were expected to win and didn’t in the pool was Mollie in the 100m, if Sam short was swimming well maybe an outside in the 1500 but we hit one in the 800 we weren’t expected to.

This games has been an awesome effort by all athletes and the ones expected to win have

Yeah pretty much the rugby 7’s was a shocker both games, should never have gone near not playing off for gold at least. Hockey was only an outside chance such a young team will be better in 4 years. The only gold we were expected to win and didn’t in the pool was Mollie in the 100m, if Sam short was swimming well maybe an outside in the 1500 but we hit one in the 800 we weren’t expected to.

This games has been an awesome effort by all athletes and the ones expected to win have
We didn't win the 800m?

We didn't win the 800m?

We’re never expected to. 400m sorry that was an unexpected one to a degree. The only one we didn’t win and was expected to was Mollie in the 100

Remove this Banner Ad

Aussies Aussie Watch - Paris 2024 - Paralympics 28 Aug - 8 Sep

Remove this Banner Ad

Back