Aussies Aussie Watch - Paris 2024 - Paralympics 28 Aug - 8 Sep

Remove this Banner Ad

In all seriousness, there needs to be an investigation into how that happened. No disrespect but it is not in the interests of anyone for that to have occurred. I trust she wasn't doing this as a joke.

Selection is a huge process. With every sport you (theoretically) start with 26 million people. Without doing anything, you automatically cut out those that are the wrong age, those that are not involved in the sport. Then those that are just hobbyists, have no talent, no training, no time. This all happens naturally and it is kind of the starting point for most sports. Then you look at the best practitioners. You make them compete. you focus on your top 10 and your top 5. It is at THIS point that issues usually arise. It is possible to choose the wrong member of the top five. Sometimes justifiably and sometimes not.

But what we have here is a competitor nowhere near the pointy end of the selection funnel.

This wasn't a mistake in choosing the wrong member of our top ten. This was plucking someone from nowhere. Someone probably (but certainly not guraranteed) to be in the best quarter of a million breakdancers in the country ... but someone who would be unlikely to make it through any proper selection process that brought you down to your best hundred thousand. I ask you, how many high schools in Australia would NOT be able to nominate a clearly, obviously superior breakdancer?

It is for this reason that this needs a very good look.
There would be a whole lot of high schools who couldn't nominate a better breakdancer.

Anna Meares defending her Rachel is understandable but calling it misogyny is weak.

Male or female, that athlete would have been slammed for that "performance".
Female here. Ridiculous and patronising comment.
If it's shite it's shite Anna.

I don't care how she did it. You have a sporting body and you have an olympics coming up. You do what you gotta do to get the best talent. If the result of the investigation is "hey, the qualifying process was designed by a moron." then so be it. Thats one of the possible outcomes.
She was ranked in the top two in Australia for the past few years.

They gave a spot to every region to make it a global event, and she won the 2023 Oceania Championships.

Seems fair enough to me, tbh.

She doesnt get a pass

I appreciate her passion for breaking and her desire to study the culture but surely some self reflection Or admit its parody

Breakdancing to me as an 80s child was moves designed to flow and make you gasp .

You seamlessly moved from one break to the next - not stage it out like a rehearsed set piece

She doesnt get a pass

I appreciate her passion for breaking and her desire to study the culture but surely some self reflection Or admit its parody

Breakdancing to me as an 80s child was moves designed to flow and make you gasp .

You seamlessly moved from one break to the next - not stage it out like a rehearsed set piece

The sad thing is that J-Attack who did a lot better than her technically and is arguably more proficient, barely received any coverage and only got 2 more votes than her overall.

Does anyone know what the Brits, French and Japanese have left? Will 18 be enough?
Okay, having a look. 13 medals to come on the last day.

GB are too far behind and wont get 4 gold on the last day. France are two behind and wont win 2 gold on the last day either.

Leaves Japan who are equal gold at the moment with Australia but 6 silver behind. They basically have two more opportunities in the wrestling.

In the mens 65kg Kiyooka is up against Amazoud of Iran. The Iranian is a red hot favourite.
In the womens 76kg Kagami is up against Blades of the US. The American is a slight favourite.

So if it goes according to betting (yes I know thats not the greatest guide), then Australia will finish 3rd. Also assuming Richardson doesn't get a gold which would make it harder for Japan.

She doesnt get a pass

I am 99% sure that's a parody. Its an Adidas jumpsuit and she sounds English putting on an accent.

Yeah ok that’s not how these things work.

Be no different to the AFL season finishing and the league going well yes Freo finished 6th but they are an embarrassment to the AFL so we are going to replace them in the finals with Collingwood because reasons.

You don’t get to set up a qualification process and then change it retrospectively because someone you don’t like wins.

She competed she won, get over it and move on.

No, that is not good enough. Governing bodies have a responsibility to have an appropriate selection process. What would happen if Athletics Australia had a selction process so faulty that we sent a 100m runner who couldn't beat 20 seconds? Would we have dipshits saying... "bUt fAT jIMmY dId dA RuN raCe BeSt..." ?

No, we would tell AA to get their fkng act together. Same message to the "intellectual Rayguns" who defend sending the "breakdancing Raygun" to the games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, that is not good enough. Governing bodies have a responsibility to have an appropriate selection process. What would happen if Athletics Australia had a selction process so faulty that we sent a 100m runner who couldn't beat 20 seconds? Would we have dipshits saying... "bUt fAT jIMmY dId dA RuN raCe BeSt..." ?

No, we would tell AA to get their fkng act together. Same message to the "intellectual Rayguns" who defend sending the "breakdancing Raygun" to the games.
Dude why are you so mad? Its brought so much joy to the world, we were never going to win so at least she did it in a memorable way.

Besides, even if you were to weirdly insist on taking it seriously; what type of governing body do you think break dancing has lol? I am amazed there was even qualification infrastructure in place. There was no one competing better than her. A valid criticism could be, why did we send someone so terrible to represent us, despite her being the best? We could have all saved fractions of a cent in our taxes if she stayed home! But the answer to that is obviously that it was to spread joy across the world.

Just chill.

Ok you just keep yelling at the sky, moron.

Yeah should of gone with the younger Weightman over the 47 yr old Diver .....though in all honesty Weightman is 45 yrs old from memory and would of cramped most likely at the 5 km mark

Remove this Banner Ad

Aussies Aussie Watch - Paris 2024 - Paralympics 28 Aug - 8 Sep

Remove this Banner Ad

Back