Aussies Aussie Watch - Paris 2024 - Paralympics 28 Aug - 8 Sep

Remove this Banner Ad

There will be cricket next Olympics, seems a bit silly as only a handful of countries play the sport. India a chance for a rare gold.
Isn’t that close to every team sport though?

How many countries play Handball seriously? Or Hockey? Or Water polo?

Only 3 countries outside of Europe competed in handball for each gender and they totaled 7 wins from 32 matches.

I would say Cricket has a far more diverse and competitive country base to choose from then most team sorts at the Olympics.

Isn’t that close to every team sport though?

How many countries play Handball seriously? Or Hockey? Or Water polo?

Only 3 countries outside of Europe competed in handball for each gender and they totaled 7 wins from 32 matches.

I would say Cricket has a far more diverse and competitive country base to choose from then most team sorts at the Olympics.
Cricket would have a longish campaign similar to how they do soccer or basketball, which are genuine world sports, you can get away with having niche sports like handball which have short campaigns but I question having cricket when its a sport played almost exclusively by commonwealth nations.

Cricket would have a longish campaign similar to how they do soccer or basketball, which are genuine world sports, you can get away with having niche sports like handball which have short campaigns but I question having cricket when its a sport played almost exclusively by commonwealth nations.
I’m sorry, basketball?

The sport that America has won 27 of 34 Olympic golds and the only other nation to win more than 1 is the god damn Soviet Union.

If you started a tournament tomorrow I could make an argument for any of about 8 cricket nations that could win a gold. For basketball it’s an argument over who gets silver.

Basketball is no more a world sport than Cricket. You are greatly overestimating basketballs global appeal based on the popularity of the NBA and a handful of international superstars.

The only truly world sport is Soccer.

Summing up pennies v podiums:

View attachment 2076666

Many of us (myself included) had a bit of fun at the expense of Breaking (and then some people took it too far). But in terms of deserving serious criticism, we should only be looking at the prioritised programs which bombed out, and not making excuses for them.

Our hockey teams were about as productive and respectable as a pack of schoolies. At least we have a history of success there, justifying the investment in a way. Rowing hopeless this year, though the results will probably turn around a la the cycling.

But it's definitely time to cut soccer loose. Let the overexposed national teams sink or swim on their own! Same goes for rugby and basketball.
Exactly. Pour money into Breaking! 😛

Fun chats y'all.

Until next time.
Thanks for the thread Jeremias

Countries like UAE and Oman, PNG and the US have been represented in past cricket world cups. And the Commonwealth is actually a far bigger sphere represented in very more more diverse areas than alot of people perceive.

There will be cricket next Olympics, seems a bit silly as only a handful of countries play the sport. India a chance for a rare gold.

Money reasons they are silly if they don’t- a billion eyeballs in India will watch every game. It’s the t20 version plenty of teams play it

Soccer doesn't provide enough medal opportunities to be a sport lots of money goes into.
That is a bit simplistic.

Funding isn't just about medal opportunities. There is a range of stuff why a sport gets such and such funding.

Soccer, Basketball, Hockey and all team sports increase participation, which is the main aim of sports funding. Winning medals is a secondary concern.

And it is not as easy as saying each sport gets x funding. We all get swimming lessons as a kid, does that count in money for swimming?

That is a bit simplistic.

Funding isn't just about medal opportunities. There is a range of stuff why a sport gets such and such funding.

Soccer, Basketball, Hockey and all team sports increase participation, which is the main aim of sports funding. Winning medals is a secondary concern.

And it is not as easy as saying each sport gets x funding. We all get swimming lessons as a kid, does that count in money for swimming?
Absolute nonsense. I'll say it again: 80% of ASC funding is for high performance (the exact breakdowns are stated in every annual report), and non-Olympic/CG sports like Aussie rules and rugby league get none of it.

Funding for participation is a drop in the ocean by comparison (10%).

Hello everyone!

I hope you've had a good few weeks and have managed to catch up on the sleep you missed out on through the Olympics.

A friendly reminder that the Paralympics start tomorrow and we'll be here cheering on our Aussie men and women as they go for gold!

Watching Adam Hills on 9 and his doco show at the moment and his push for para tennis for people who aren't in wheelchairs but have a disability like him - missing leg/ part leg / legs / arm / arms etc. He talks about his experiences in his comedy shows routine.

Looks like they got a bit of traction for Oz Open in January and they played an exhibition game on Kia Arena after he helped organise a tournament at the same time as Oz Open.

I put this in the Oz swimming trials thread in June, but will alert those who didn't see it.

Was reminded tonight that the highlight of the trials for me was the interviews with Paralympian Alexa Leary, as I flicked channels and briefly caught her on the Cheap Seats show tonight.

6 months in hospital after several times looking like she wouldn't survive, after a horrendous crash coming off her bike going at over 70 km/hr, in a triathlon event and has ended up with a brain injury, but still has very good physical attributes that weren't as affected by her injury.

1984 400m IM bronze medallist Rob Woodhouse, who has returned to Oz after 26 years living overseas, mainly UK, and managing sportspeople, after setting up Elite Sports Properties with current Collingwood CEO Craig Kelly back in 1995, ( which was taken over by TLA worldwide a few years ago) and has recently been appointed CEO of Swimming Oz, was on Whateley's show a week before the trials. When near the end of the interview Whateley asked him who will be Australia's biggest star at the end of Paris, he said can I give you two, and he said Alexa in para swimming and Kaylee McKeown.

I was unaware of Alexa's story, even though she got some publicity last year for going to the para swimming world champs.

Have a look at the 2nd video and see how infectious she is about her music, which was a bloody important part of her recovery. She is going to be a star and a viewing audience favourite.

Last edited:
Great 1500m for T46 athletes.

Michael Roeger of Oz went out in front like the hare and trying to hang on but defending champ Iaremchuk from Russia running as an Independent Athlete, got him the last 30m and Roeger hung on for silver when it looked like he might stop and get bronze.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

9af9aa238a17edf21300c30884f9a65a

I don't know what it is, but I like the little "triangle guy" they hand out with the medals

That anchor leg by Alexa Leary in the 4x100m mixed medley 34 pts final was epic. She gave the Dutch swimmer a 7 second start. The sort of stuff you expect King Kyle to pull off.

And the interview with her after the swim was just as epic.

Last edited:
Well done Jamie Turner in the 400m T36 cerebal palsy division.

Won in a WR 51.54 beating his own WR from 2019 by 0.20 and now has a 3 peat Paralympic golds in this event.

First, Aussie gold at the athletics. I think we have 5 minor medals before this gold.

Love how the para athletes get to ring the bell when they win gold at the Stade de France, just like the Olympians did.

First, Aussie gold at the athletics. I think we have 5 minor medals before this gold.

Love how the para athletes get to ring the bell when they win gold at the Stade de France, just like the Olympians did.
I swear I’m not going crazy but in the first day or two, the guides for the vision impaired runners didn’t receive a medal or little mascot. I watched it and thought it was a bit rough. But now they are getting a medal and mascot, which seems more just.

I swear I’m not going crazy but in the first day or two, the guides for the vision impaired runners didn’t receive a medal or little mascot. I watched it and thought it was a bit rough. But now they are getting a medal and mascot, which seems more just.
I didnt pick that up as I think I only saw 2 medal ceromonies and they werent vision impaired events.

I have been slack and havent posted enough stuff.

Scooter Patterson is a star perform and comedian it seems. His sketch on 9 with Nick Mcardle the other night was a cracker. Whilst looking for it I found this on his instagram site. Its similar to what he did with Nick Mcardle.

Love him being cheeky with the Governor General.

Remove this Banner Ad

Aussies Aussie Watch - Paris 2024 - Paralympics 28 Aug - 8 Sep

Remove this Banner Ad

Back