Australian cheating at Newlands, where to from here?

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m emailing CA today expressing my disgust at their treatment of our players - I hope I’m not the only one.

Fair enough. Seriously, good for you. You're consistent with your views on this. I may not agree, but I can't argue.

The lynch mob mentality, and the desperation to be outraged, is absolutely pathetic.

And all of the ****heads asking how they’re supposed to tell their kids what happened - figure it out yourselves, your parents, do some parenting.

I hate the outrage mentality as much as anyone, but I don't think it's that. I think mostly people are fed up with their hypocrisy.

For me it's simpler - it's cheating. I don't care who does it. The same applies to South Africans, Englishmen, Indians etc. They're grown men trying to get around, or openly breaking the rules. I'd come down on them with a sledgehammer. If you claim that you have standards (and when it comes to cricket Australians do and never tire of telling everyone about it), then you follow them. If the world authorities deem a slap on the wrist is sufficient I'd still come down hard. You set the standards yourself, whether or not people are watching.

This is not just about the ball tampering imo, this is about trying to get some order into a team that appeared to have none. Flat track bullies (not their fault) and terrible winners at home and sulky losers with a stench of scandal never far from them away from home and CA was having a tough enough time finding sponsors before all of this kicked off. It's what makes it all the more remarkable the Boof is staying on.

Are we taking $$ on how long it takes them to sell their own stories? And how long until their partners sell THEIR apparent stories to the Womens Mags?
Davey and co unbackable.

"Candace's South African heartbreak"

"Aussie battler Dave tells all"

Biography "Warner - Punching on"

Writes itself.

No it won't. The other countries will not follow australias lead at all because their media won't attack their own like we have. South Africans couldn't give a shit about ball tampering they care about winning the series and they have. **** they probably tampered during the game as well

At least we now know who is interested in the spirit of cricket. Some might think 12 months is a pandering to the social media masses; you could also look at it as wanting to be the only country to take this seriously.

Of course not Harsha. For all the global sledging about Australia's cricket culture (which many mistake for the team culture), let's remember the culture of those currently loud cricketing nations who don't give two shits about cheats:

English cricket = dish out OBEs because you're just glad you won something for a change and let's make Trescothick an Ashes hero while we're at it.
Indian cricket = use everything as a reason to play the race card and just deny everything.
South African cricket = appeal as a knee-jerk reaction because we need the player to play, regardless of what they've done.

Last edited:
Davey and co unbackable.

"Candace's South African heartbreak"

"Aussie battler Dave tells all"

Biography "Warner - Punching on"

Writes itself.

Eddies already gone down the “David’s always been a battler, had to earn every cent” path.

People actually went out of their way to go to the airport so they could boo the players?
What a scummy lot of campaigners they would be. Must lead pretty pathetic, empty lives if that’s how they get their jollies. Can’t remember Faf receiving the same treatment after being done twice. Hypocritical pond scum.

Last edited:
Eddies already gone down the “David’s always been a battler, had to earn every cent” path.

That line is always hilarious.

As opposed to 99.99% of the working world who also had to earn every cent Eddie you imbecile? The difference is most don't get paid millions. You kind of have to hand in your "battler" card (along with your "victim" one) once you're earning seven figures I'd say.

The punishment that they have received is way over the top and CA has just bowed to the ridiculous over-reaction of the media. It's a total knee jerk reaction to appease this bloodlust some people seem to have.

6 month bans were appropriate at the most.

This will have no effect on teams from the rest of the world. If anything it will just vindicate in their minds that our players are the biggest cheats of them all.

I'm feeling for Smith and Bancroft in particular. I think the public humiliation is the worst punishment of all. I hope that they are mentally ok.

The punishment that they have received is way over the top and CA has just bowed to the ridiculous over-reaction of the media. It's a total knee jerk reaction to appease this bloodlust some people seem to have.

This will have no effect on teams from the rest of the world. If anything it will just vindicate in their minds that our players are the biggest cheats of them all.

I'm feeling for Smith and Bancroft in particular. I think the public humiliation is the worst punishment of all. I hope that they are mentally ok.
If you'd cost your employer $200 million which is the figure bandied about, do you think you'd get off scot free?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Australia barely play any cricket in the next 6 months. 12 months was needed to actually miss a few tests!

Felt sorry for Smith watching that footage.

I’m by no means a Steve Smith fan. I hate the way he loses it when team mates drop catches. I hate watching his press conferences. I hate the way he acts in the field.

But I never thought he was a ‘bad guy’. It’s just sad. And as each day of this passes it becomes more and more clear that he wasn’t really a cheat, just a horrible captain who couldn’t control Warner.

Warner is a disgusting human both on and off the field, the bloke won’t even care about all this, he’ll just do a Tomic and count his millions.

Seriously concerned about Smith’s well being. Even when he comes back I don’t think we’ll see the same batsman.

To put it simply, I hope Smith and Bancroft have their families help them through this. I hope the media goes so hard at Warner that he doesn’t even know what year it is.

M8 i get what you are saying. You don't believe the world works that way. Thats fine but I think you're missing the bigger picture.

'Fair play' is enshrined in our identity as a nation. Whether it reflects actual day to day reality is immaterial. At a minimum its an aspirational value which we as a nation revere and have seen fit to put into a values statement to be signed by anyone wanting to be Australian.

Woodfull's refusal to adopt bodyline tactics is but one example of this sense of fair play.

More broadly, another example is how we as a nation lauded John Landy for stopping mid race to help Ron Clark when he fell over. Christ we even made a statue out of it.
View attachment 476173
Smith and co have shat all over this key value of fair play while representing our country in its main unifying sport.

Maybe you dont see it as a real issue.

Many do.

The fact that you have had to go back to the 1930s and 1950s for these 2 examples says something. Apart from Gilly walking once, fair play is an old fashioned view of the way that professional sport is conducted nowadays. Not just Australia, but everywhere. Australia has not been able to stand apart as a beacon of pure sporting values, no matter how often anybody says "fair go".

Having said that, they have taken ownership of this situation. To ban the best player in the world and the captain to set an example is a powerful statement.

Fair enough. Seriously, good for you. You're consistent with your views on this. I may not agree, but I can't argue.

I hate the outrage mentality as much as anyone, but I don't think it's that. I think mostly people are fed up with their hypocrisy.

For me it's simpler - it's cheating. I don't care who does it. The same applies to South Africans, Englishmen, Indians etc. They're grown men trying to get around, or openly breaking the rules. I'd come down on them with a sledgehammer. If you claim that you have standards (and when it comes to cricket Australians do and never tire of telling everyone about it), then you follow them. If the world authorities deem a slap on the wrist is sufficient I'd still come down hard. You set the standards yourself, whether or not people are watching.

shame we don't have standards when it comes to declaring our taxable incomes in this country. we all cheat our way through life one way or another. i find it hypocritical as a nation that we believe upholding upmost integrity in a sporting environment makes us the bastion of virtue.

12 month bans on top of the mob judgement and disgrace is harsh. they had already lost their captaincy and missing the final test of this series. any ban imposed rules them out of IPL too. it went overboard ruling them out of the next Aussie summer.

If you'd cost your employer $200 million which is the figure bandied about, do you think you'd get off scot free?
Did you miss the 6 months bit???

They have already copped a massive whack even without the bans. Financially and reputationally.

The $200 million figure is total and utter BS btw.

Did you miss the 6 months bit???

They have already copped a massive whack even without the bans. Financially and reputationally.

The $200 million figure is total and utter BS btw.
We'll see. As I said earlier, I don't think this is just about the cheating either.

No it won't. The other countries will not follow australias lead at all because their media won't attack their own like we have. South Africans couldn't give a shit about ball tampering they care about winning the series and they have. **** they probably tampered during the game as well
Spot on mate. The media in other countries is completely different to the mentality of the Australian media.

Spot on mate. The media in other countries is completely different to the mentality of the Australian media.
English media have made turning on their own an art form. We should be thankful ours aren't as bad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Australian cheating at Newlands, where to from here?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back