Australian cheating at Newlands, where to from here?

Remove this Banner Ad

I love how Pup is using this to garner the Aussie public. Firstly we don't know what happens, and secondly really?

Call me a cynic but Pup has done some ball tampering or knew about it as captain, wasn't a fan of Smith (they butted heads if I can recall), and he's trying to garner support. God, I'm suh a cynic

Pup was another cheat.

The most stupid part of this whole incident is why they didn't just let Bancroft take responsibility for the lot.
Don't they realise just how damaging this is going to be for Australian cricket.
Bancroft could have very easily lied and said it was all his own decision and actions.
If Australian Cricket think that it was best for everybody to stand up, tell the truth and accept responsibility, then they are deluded.

They're not sorry for what they did, They're sorry they got caught.

Any other team and we would want them banned for years. Same should apply to us but cricket Australia will give a slap on the wrist.

Ban them for 12 months (Smith Bancroft warner Hazelwood starc) anyone else who knew what was going on.

None of them to ever lead again ever and none should be able to play anywhere incl 20/20 tournaments

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Different rules for us we are just so wonderful, we never cross line even though no one knows what the line is.

We will never do it again etc we are a joke, our culture is a joke and everyone in the media are already preparing ways to white wash this.

Interesting point. This is no way the worst. I wonder what the current media scape would be like Warne and Junior.

Will be interesting to hear the thoughts of all the people here that were calling Faf du Plessis a cheat for that ball tampering incident a couple of year ago.

That incident was not as blatant as this incident and he also never admitted to deliberately cheating like the Australian players have.

Probably the most shameful incident for Australian cricket since the underarm incident back in 1981 and the people involved deserve to be suspended.

And we go back further to Michael Atherton and the bottle cap.

This was organised amongst some members of the team. I think it's worse.

Got nothing really. But this seems worse, premeditated, organised and people need to be sanctioned. Part of the problem is the icc Havent been hard enough on a lot of issues for too long.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Which needs to be taken into account.

I’m furious about it, and it is disgraceful; but the ICC is complicit in all of this.

Funny that as Australian fans we are more angry about our own team cheating, than when other pricks have done it against us multiple times.

Ball Tampering is a level 2 Offence.Mr Warner has already received one on. tour.Was Bancroft unlucky to get caught and do all sides do this.
Anyway SA are winning this test and series even with ball Tampering.Balmy Army already singing songs at Eden Park about this.

Will be interesting to hear the thoughts of all the people here that were calling Faf du Plessis a cheat for that ball tampering incident a couple of year ago.

That incident was not as blatant as this incident and he also never admitted to deliberately cheating like the Australian players have.

Probably the most shameful incident for Australian cricket since the underarm incident back in 1981 and the people involved deserve to be suspended.
Haven’t seen anybody on here defend Smith, have you?

He is a complete campaigner.

He’s making himself the centre of attention again, same as he did with Phil Hughes.

Usually I'd agreed but he was asked and he clearly thought it was a stupid question.

I’m furious about it, and it is disgraceful; but the ICC is complicit in all of this.

Funny that as Australian fans we are more angry about our own team cheating, than when other pricks have done it against us multiple times.
At the very, VERY, least we can say Smith admitted to it, whereas Faf (and also Amla) played it like they were being persecuted right up until the verdict.

And we go back further to Michael Atherton and the bottle cap.

This was organised amongst some members of the team. I think it's worse.

Ball tmpering is rife, and I’d be confident that it is almost never an individual decision.

Stupidly Picking at the seam on the spot, yes.

Cough lollies, lip balm, sunscreen, bottle tops, sand, tape etc; they would all be planned actions, not one guy going rogue.

You’d have to think Warner’s taped up hands are part of this now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally, I think we come across as hypocrites, we play hard but within the rules mantra now forever stained.

Interesting point. This is no way the worst. I wonder what the current media scape would be like Warne and Junior.
The whole bookie fiasco's in the 90's would be crazy with the modern net. Between Azharuddin, Malik, Cronje and Warne/Waugh the sport was possibly transitioning into WWE territory.

Gotta say, super impressed by the responses from the last couple of threads and the majority of people in the media. Maybe I'm cynical but after the appalling "poor little Davey" response we saw after the first test, I expected much of the same after this incident. But the response has been absolutely brutal and deservedly so. Absolutely disgusting act by a dirty bunch of cheats.

Feel incredibly sorry for Bancroft in this. No player in his 8th test comes up with this kind of rubbish on his own. He was instructed to do so by a horrible group of leaders at the top who think it's okay to cheat the opposition, cheat their country and cheat the sport of cricket. And to say they will learn from this. Absolutely disgusting. Smith to go, Lehmann to go (has always been a bad egg- racial vilification suspension, abusing media and young players) and if Warner or any of the fast bowlers were involved, they can go too.

Cricket Australia must go incredibly hard here, or they will lose an awful lot of gate takings next summer.

Great response bigfooty and the Australian media :thumbsu:

The whole bookie fiasco's in the 90's would be crazy with the modern net. Between Azharuddin, Malik, Cronje and Warne/Waugh the sport was possibly transitioning into WWE territory.

That was a lot worse. That would have been so crazy. Don't think cricket would have survived that.

I know what he did was stupid but I hope people forgive him. To me it is a disgrace that we welcome back athletes who get charged for physical abuse to women and we probably won't forgive Smith.

Disagree on the bolded. Once the media spin kicks into high gear and the jingoism is let loose, I think Smith will be completely forgiven within a test or two.

I am godsmacked Smith did not resign or offer his resignation on the spot. There is surely no way he can lead an Australian cricket team onto a field ever again. His attitude in the press conference just shows he has no idea of the gravity of the situation. Bizarre.

The most stupid part of this whole incident is why they didn't just let Bancroft take responsibility for the lot.
Don't they realise just how damaging this is going to be for Australian cricket.
Bancroft could have very easily lied and said it was all his own decision and actions.
If Australian Cricket think that it was best for everybody to stand up, tell the truth and accept responsibility, then they are deluded.
What the hell?

You're the deluded one. To be honest, you should probably be in the Australian team's leadership group :thumbsu:

This can't really be compared to the last Faf incident like some people are saying. Using a lolly or your pants zip can come across as an 'in the moment' poor decision even if it's not. This was a pre-organised, discussed plan that almost definitely included the whole squad along with the coaching staff. They've owned up to it so there's no chance they get away with sweeping it under the rug.

Remove this Banner Ad

Australian cheating at Newlands, where to from here?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back