Australian cheating at Newlands, where to from here?

Remove this Banner Ad

I am godsmacked Smith did not resign or offer his resignation on the spot. There is surely no way he can lead an Australian cricket team onto a field ever again. His attitude in the press conference just shows he has no idea of the gravity of the situation. Bizarre.
This might be the Eagle in me coming out but I reckon if they don't strip him of the captaincy he's going to get booed off the ground the next time they play back here

How many times have they done it without being caught ? This puts a * against their successes in recent times - especially the Ashes!

If its one thing Australian's can't stand - it's resorting to cheat to win. Its why the public outraged against Lance Armstrong, Essendon/Hird etc. I'd be heartbroken if/when Cadel Evans' TDF win goes under the microscope.... but for now its one of the more honest wins in world sport.

They need to teach the cheaters a lesson, but I doubt Cricket Australia has the balls to do anything (as this would also involve giving themselves a whack).

The Aussies can no longer cry fowl of other teams antics when they are just as bad (sledging and now ball tampering).

Smith should never captain again!

Only thing that should happen is smith and co should be suspended. If they play the next test then it is a telling sign that cricket Australia don't give two shits about the integrity of the game.

Well, the ICC don’t, so CA would be following their lead.

Disagree on the bolded. Once the media spin kicks into high gear and the jingoism is let loose, I think Smith will be completely forgiven within a test or two.

Yep can't wait for the media to start talking shit.

Wonder how long it will be?

1 week or 2 weeks?

I am godsmacked Smith did not resign or offer his resignation on the spot. There is surely no way he can lead an Australian cricket team onto a field ever again. His attitude in the press conference just shows he has no idea of the gravity of the situation. Bizarre.

Here's my take on why.

It would have been a massive PR scramble for CA to do overnight. I bet he was told to say that he will stay.

This can't really be compared to the last Faf incident like some people are saying. Using a lolly or your pants zip can come across as an 'in the moment' poor decision even if it's not. This was a pre-organised, discussed plan that almost definitely included the whole squad along with the coaching staff. They've owned up to it so there's no chance they get away with sweeping it under the rug.
Yep - while both acts are cheating, the walkie talkies, Handscomb coming out and talking to Bancroft, the fact they took out sandpaper after a meeting at lunchtime.. its planned, premeditated cheating.

Lehmann and Smith should stand down without a doubt.

Unfortunately that might make Warner captain which I would be against as well.

Time for a fresh start. Maybe a Langer / M . Marsh or Paine combination is what we need. I dont really know at this stage. Not a great state of affairs.

Doesn’t this go on in all teams? Plenty of examples in recent times. I’m not excusing Smith and this will definitely damage his reputation, but it’s not like this is the first ever captain to do it in the last decade.
I suspect that was their attitude as well judging by the press conference and I think they've severely misread the mood of the public.

Doesn’t this go on in all teams? Plenty of examples in recent times. I’m not excusing Smith and this will definitely damage his reputation, but it’s not like this is the first ever captain to do it in the last decade.
Probably. Don't think I've seen anyone have a decoy item to throw the umps off the scent like Bancroft with the cloth though.

Every captain does it. They are just better in hiding it.

He does, that’s the thing.

ICC treat ball tampering as a minor discretion, which is how Smith is viewing it.

The Australian Cricket public are furious about it, but it has been trivialized by the regulatory body over the years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think smith, boof and those over in SA fully realise the backlash and disgust that is taking place back home. They soon will when they are met at the airport gates with angry Australians. I hope anyway.

Care to explain your rationale?
It's a bunch of sanctimonious bullshit. "As Australian cricketers, you have a duty of care and responsibility to the Baggy Green and to Australia". You have a duty to not cheat and not be a **** because you're a human, not because of some almighty hat and not because Australians Are Better And Don't Do This. (with the implication that "lesser" peoples do)

Smith should do the honourable thing and resign. Warner should also resign. Lehmann should go as well.

Smith admitted to premeditated cheating. And if Lehmann knew nothing about it as Smith claims then he should go for failing to know and failing to stop Smith from going down this path.

Cricket Australia prides itself on upholding the ethics of cricket but it went missing over Warne and Waugh. If Sutherland has any guts he will be fronting the media today to inform them that he expects the resignations of all three by the end of the Test otherwise they will be sacked before the start of the next Test.

Of course this is Sutherland and Cricket Australia so nothing will happen. Sutherland will make all the right noises but at the end of the day Smith and Warner will keep their spots while Bancroft gets shuffled out of the team.

Smith should do the honourable thing and resign. Warner should also resign. Lehmann should go as well.

Smith admitted to premeditated cheating. And if Lehmann knew nothing about it as Smith claims then he should go for failing to know and failing to stop Smith from going down this path.

I said earlier that timing wise, Smith couldn't have resigned overnight. It would have been a massive task for CA to sort out everything.

Too much sympathy for Bancroft. Deserves as much if not more heat than Smith.

Let's face facts here. He did it. If he was asked to do it he agreed to it. And he didn't even seem to attempt to hide it.

He's incredibly dumb. And he's now going to deservedly be labelled a cheater for the test of his career.

Lol, no difference between a zip and tape/paper.

Picking at the seam isn’t the only one you can excuse as dumb, the rest are deliberate actions.

Exactly.

The Poms won a series by cheating, everyone knew about it, nothing happened. A few years later, they actually began to celebrate it.

Again, I’m disgusted, I thought we were better than this - but ball tampering has allowed to become almost accepted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Australian cheating at Newlands, where to from here?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back