Australian cheating at Newlands, where to from here?

Remove this Banner Ad

The mind boggles as to how they thought this was a good idea. Smith is finished IMO and must step down immediately with lengthy suspensions for all involved.

As mentioned this was not just a spur of the moment incident, this was premeditated cheating by a collective group of professional sportsman on the world stage.

Imagine if this were the poms or kiwi's for example, we'd be calling for heads to roll immediately.

Yep reckon they are waiting till the end of the test.

If we’re luckuy Sutherland will piss off.

Cheating is cheating regardless of the means. Both are premeditated, both are designed to gain an unfair advantage, both are done to facilitate an unfair victory. There’s no place in sport for either.

And murder is murder, yet there are still different scales to judge it by.

This is back, but it is nothing like a sanctioned Organisation wide doping program.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The most stupid part of this whole incident is why they didn't just let Bancroft take responsibility for the lot.
Don't they realise just how damaging this is going to be for Australian cricket.
Bancroft could have very easily lied and said it was all his own decision and actions.
If Australian Cricket think that it was best for everybody to stand up, tell the truth and accept responsibility, then they are deluded.

I don't think anyone would believe a junior player like Bancroft would just decide to start ball tampering on his own without others telling him to do it or knowing about it. Better that Smith just fessed up straight away, if he denied that he and others were involved and it then came out later that he had lied it would be worse.

Haven’t seen anybody on here defend Smith, have you?

No but there were some self righteous Aussie supporters here getting stuck into Faf du Plessis and other South African players for being cheats or bad sports for incidents they've been involved in and none of those are as bad as this so those people don't have a leg to stand on now.

At the very, VERY, least we can say Smith admitted to it, whereas Faf (and also Amla) played it like they were being persecuted right up until the verdict.

The Faf du Plessis incident wasn't quite as cut and dried as this incident, he was using a mint to polish the ball and could argue it wasn't intentional or at least not a premeditated plan. He still shouldn't be excused for what he did but it was on the more minor end of the scale compared to this current incident.

At least the underarm incident was within the rules even if I thought it was disgusting. I went to bed at 11:30 last night and when I woke up I thought I would read the forum from where I last left it. So I have been commenting not knowing that Smith was involved. I even rolled my eyes at an earlier post that said this incident was on a par with the underarm incident. CA needs to be proactive starting at their press conference in half an hour. Heads must roll before the 4th Test.
Cricket Australia nothing to see here

The culture around the team has got to change now. The incessant and mindless sledging has got to stop for starters. It's 2018 not 1975. David Warner is an extremely unlikable man who needs to shut his gob or get out. The bowlers and the batsmen need to start showing some humility whenever they have success. More Ussie and Mark Waugh than Warner and Slater please.

Darren Lehmann has got to go immediately. His ideas for on field culture are dated at best. They shouldn't be trying to "push" the line, they should be trying to avoid it. It's embarrassing to watch this team, every new series there is some incident that makes Australia look bad.
You talk poor culture and you talk Warne, McGrath and Healy.

The mind boggles as to how they thought this was a good idea. Smith is finished IMO and must step down immediately with lengthy suspensions for all involved.

As mentioned this was not just a spur of the moment incident, this was premeditated cheating by a collective group of professional sportsman on the world stage.

Imagine if this were the poms or kiwi's for example, we'd be calling for heads to roll immediately.

The Poms cheat regularly.

Sutherland very weak here. If I had to guess, CA can't identify the next captain and are just hoping it dies down before they take next steps. Why is the match continuing tonight? SA should win by default.

Remove this Banner Ad

Australian cheating at Newlands, where to from here?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back