Australian cheating at Newlands, where to from here?

Remove this Banner Ad

So we have embarrassed ourselves in South Africa according to many:

Some years ago the SA crowd held signs up referring to Gilchrist and his family.
De Koch crosses the line badly in going after family.
This tour the same crowds wore masks and attacked a woman sitting in the crowd with her children.
Members of the SA Cricket Board posed for pictures with these people.
The twice guilty SA captain did nothing to control Rabada who carried on like a tool continuously and even physically went after Smith.
The SA captain used the TV crews as his personal investigators to try and catch people doing something.
SA Cricket leaked the footage of Warner and De Koch

We were found to have committed the same infraction as the SA captain has been found guilty of twice.
Dave Warner carried on like a tool the whole time.

We should apologise to the fine sporting nation of SA for our appalling behaviour.

Who's idea was it to cheat with bright yellow sandpaper and be arrogant enough to think they'd get away with it?

They deserve their respective bans for pure ******* stupidity.

This is my sort of thinking as well. Their arrogance to think they'd get away with this is mind boggling.

What I would like to is why is Boof walking away from this?

The guy is the coach and in charge of the team if Smith, Warner etc are copping it then why not him?

The guy is a racist and now this he needs to go as well.
He made one racist comment years ago in the heat of the moment and was distraught by it. Seems like there is many people on these forums who are perfect and have never made a mistake in their lives. Of course it was a disgrace to say what he did, but it was over 15 years ago and maybe he learnt from it.

Warner chucking his mates under a bus when he was the instigator.

I do hope he never plays a game for the baggy green. Sure talented but his professionalism and morals are at the same level as a neanderthal.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
Warner getting thrown under the bus by CA. sure it may have been his idea but both Smith and Bancroft had the opportunity to tell him to pull his head in.
not to mention the others who where in on the plan...i dont buy the one off, spur of the moment during a lunch break thing.

remember Bancroft only found out about the plan because he happened to be in earshot of a discussion between the leadership group. or was he isolated by Warner and Smith happened to overhear them as he walked passed? i forget which story im supposed to believe.

From a competitive standpoint, I believe we’d be able to win easily against Zim and Bangladesh throughout the winter season (and who cares about thr English ODI series).

India are tough but terrible here and I can still see us beating them on home soil, same goes for Sri Lanka.

Where we may get tripped up is whomever we play straight after the summer season (ie this time next year)

How has Darren Lehmann kept his Job? even if he did not know this Happened on his watch and this toxic culture of "Head butting the line"" also on his watch should of been flicked or paid out.
Brett Geeves was right about the guy all along.

For Cricket Australia to move on, and Draw a line a new coach would of given clean air, with Darren still in the Job it's like the smell of a Sunday Morning Fart.

Why does it have to be about what other countries have done? The BCCI is hardly the sort of organisation we should be looking to emulate?

I agree but pot shots from blokes who were happy to hide behind the BCCI during their own careers is pretty galling.

We (Australia) are the only country that as a public has reacted strongly against our players cheating. Don't see why we have to take shit from holier than you people or drive by shitposters.

Compare Tendulkar's statement to Amla's.

Your welcome to your opinion mate. Even if it sounds like you are disrespecting the values of the country that took you in.:)

But no worries, we Aussies are used to Brits talking down to us while getting things wrong. We even have a national holiday based around the Brits sending us to the wrong beach to fight a war for them.;)

I think the notion of national values for any country is jingoistic. I feel the same way about any English people feeling morally/intellectually superior.

Reasonable point - but it is always hard to argue the “this is the culmination of a series of events” position when, in this instance, it seems as though he put an end to the behaviour once he saw it happening.

I must say I do appreciate Lehman pulling a Peter Beattie here “I created this problem.....and only I can fix it!”

Regards

S. Pete
Surely CA could have pulled the trigger on Lehman if they paid out his contract. They did it to "oh micky you so fine you so fine you blow my mind hey micky" Arthur a few years ago.

I dont get the argument that they weren't on solid legal ground with Lehman.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd say you're missing the point. It isn't the act per se but the way it was carried out, with great malice of forethought. In Warner's case, luring a junior teammate into deliberate cheating should also be condemned.

They've fallen well short of the standards expected of people who represent our country.

Well said CC. This was the point I was trying to make to a work colleague who thinks the bans are way too excessive.
The fact that Warner, Smith and Bancroft have met in the players rooms and planned this is totally unacceptable.
Smith should have put his foot down and said no from the outset.

How has Darren Lehmann kept his Job? even if he did not know this Happened on his watch and this toxic culture of "Head butting the line"" also on his watch should of been flicked or paid out.

For Cricket Australia to move on, and Draw a line a new coach would of given clean air, with Darren still in the Job it's like the smell of a Sunday Morning Fart.
Lehmann has done absolutely nothing wrong or illegal, yet you want him sacked?...

Are you for real??

A lot of folks need to have a big cup of calm tf down.

Smith and Warner are cooked .
Neither will be selected for test cricket again unless its for New Zealand.
Lehmann wont be coach by our summer series against India .
I will be amazed if Smith does not play test cricket again for Australia. He is only 28 and could come back and play for another 5/6 years easily. Besides that, very few people, would want to walk away from the game at aged 28 after being suspended for 12 months. Most elite sportsmen would be desperate to come back to make amends. I am not so sure Warner will play for Australia again, but Smith will.

Warner getting thrown under the bus by CA. sure it may have been his idea but both Smith and Bancroft had the opportunity to tell him to pull his head in.
not to mention the others who where in on the plan...i dont buy the one off, spur of the moment during a lunch break thing.

remember Bancroft only found out about the plan because he happened to be in earshot of a discussion between the leadership group. or was he isolated by Warner and Smith happened to overhear them as he walked passed? i forget which story im supposed to believe.

The story that this is a completely isolated incident by players and no one else should bear any responsibility for the conditions which led to such actions.

I think he will yet. But he is entitled to protect his reputation by getting a grace period to separate himself from this mess.

I think it is making a bit more sense why we have not heard from him now. The only thing he can do, assuming it is true he did not know, is throw Smith and Warner further under the bus.

Boof might be a boof but it does not surprise me that he refuses to cause more harm for his (ex) captain and VC.

I will be amazed if Smith does not play test cricket again for Australia. He is only 28 and could come back and play for another 5/6 years easily. Besides that, very few people, would want to walk away from the game at aged 28 after being suspended for 12 months. Most elite sportsmen would be desperate to come back to make amends. I am not so sure Warner will play for Australia again, but Smith will.

I think his come back will depend on his mental state, this is a huge fall from grace for him

What about Yorkshiremen?

Yorkshiremen are more prone to this than anybody. I remember my uncle visiting us in 1990 and we were talking about the 1989 Ashes. I was saying how good Mark Taylor had been. My uncle said and was serious, "Wouldn't get a game for Yorkshire, he's over rated" :)

Last edited:
It is so terrifying that people who support these suspensions are allowed to vote.

Every time you transgress the rules you have "cheated". And most of the time you have done it with some level of pre-meditation.

Every sport in the world has different levels of how bad a form of cheating a particular action is.

Drug cheats are - rightly or wrongly - considered the worst along with match fixers.

Divers tend to be considered much lesser cheats. And there are a whole pile of transgressions in every sport that are - rightly or wrongly - considered better or worse than each other. Head high tacklers, trippers, head duckers, time wasters, players who run over the mark in AFL , etc etc.

In cricket, ball tampering is considered moderately serious. It might get you a ban for a game but it certainly doesn't get you 4 years like drug cheating. If you don't think that is a fair punishment then you should lobby to have the rule/punishment changed for *all* people not just Australians in this instance.

People who say "but they deliberately did it" are of course completely ignorant. If you change the condition of the ball by pure accident then you won't get punished for it *at all*. If you did it deliberately then you will. The 4 demerit points doesn't magically become 100 demerit points because you did it deliberately. If it was accidental then it would be zero demerit points not the other way around. The fact that more than one person is at fault means that it is right that more than one person gets the 4 demerit points but it doesn't for a second mean that everybody should get 100 demerit points. And I have no idea why the sandpaper has anything to do with anything. The players were trying to get the ball changed rather than to make it swing, so what they were trying to use to wreck the ball enough to do that is irrelevant. If they had taken a jackhammer to it, nothing would change.

This situation has set a precedent that the CA can, at a whim, slap a 12 month penalty on any player if a bunch of social media misfits get hysterical about them transgressing any law at all.

All intelligent people will know that the next time one of our players doesn't walk when the other team has run out of reviews, then the media will be asking why he didn't get slapped with a one year ban for cheating the way Smith and Warner have.

All intelligent people will know that this sets a horrible precedent for players to never front any press conference without a team of lawyers on standby.

And all intelligent people will know that no captain will *ever* support their players ever again - they will just throw them under the bus knowing that if they take any sort of responsibility they will get everything the other player gets and more - much more in fact because social media misfits will say there was collusion stemming from the Pope on down.

Remove this Banner Ad

Australian cheating at Newlands, where to from here?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back