Autopsy Autopsy vs Collingwood aka the Great Pain Robbery

Remove this Banner Ad

Alot of people are mentioning that we just needed to keep the pressure up for 4 quarter's but the intensity the boys went at in the first 3 quarters just isn't sustainable. No idea what the messaging was at 3 quarter time but it had to be ball retention. Ofcourse pies were going to come hard in the 4th.

We needed our senior players (McDonald/Corr) in the backline to slow the play down and go side to side and take the momentum out of the game. I don't recall us trying to slow down the game once. I think Sheezel behind the ball in the last quarter should of been an obvious change, we weren't scoring many more goals in the 4th anyway. I'm abit concerned about Clarko's match day decisions.

Overall I think North are about two more senior players from being a consistently competitive side. The young brigade will take it from there.

I’m probably more annoyed now than I was directly after the game.

Not only at the umpiring. It was legitimately shit.

But also at the fact with very few personnel changes we could play like that.

Meaning we have had that in us all along.

We play like that against a bunch of sides and would not be sitting on one win.

Our pressure in the first half was through the roof, even when their good players go the ball, they were under legitimate pressure so a lot of their possessions were scrappy. We just couldn't sustain that pressure and we allowed them to get a lot more uncontested ball in the second half.

I don't mind us running out of gas... if we play like we did the first half every week, I'd rather that and losing by close margins than to just go half-arsed all game and getting done by a whole lot more.

Why is nobody talking about the Scott touch in the second. I get the 50m penalty in the dying moments to us not paid however at least that is a decision that needs to be made on the spot. The no review call by the umpire and the fact there is meant to be a review to all scores kicked. This is while play is stopped! The AFL can take time and review it as it the decision doesn't necessarily have to be in live play.

This one has got me as the worst decision imo. Absolutely flabbergasted.

I’m probably more annoyed now than I was directly after the game.

Not only at the umpiring. It was legitimately shit.

But also at the fact with very few personnel changes we could play like that.

Meaning we have had that in us all along.

We play like that against a bunch of sides and would not be sitting on one win.
Yes I was thinking this too. Whats happened over the bye?

Where has this drive and desire come from? The mid season review?

Like A Boss Ship GIF

So close, but so much to like about this game.
No Longer the easy beats.

Still have some aspects to work on but,
Showed we can win the ground ball and contest.
Showed we can pressure the ball carrier into making mistakes.
Showed we can connect and move the ball under our control.
Showed showed we can create turnovers and then score.
Showed we aren't going to be intimidated.
Showed we can have a functioning defensive structure and not put the back six under massive pressure.
Showed we can control the pace of the game.
Showed we can do it for 3/4 of a game against a top side.

Lots to like and improvement is coming thick and fast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually liked how Riewoldt was just barracking for and celebrating individual moments regardless of the team. Was borderline unprofessional at times but he was unbiased and just enjoying the spectacle.
🤣 Agree, he was like a big kid neutral supporter, just barracking for the big moments, from the best seats in the house, he probably didn’t realise he was doing it, just got excited, funny as, need more of him and less of Healy. You can tell, Jack hasn’t got too many prejudices.

Encouraging that we did what we did yesterday with many of our brightest stars of the future not out there:

Zane Duursma - First round stud who'll be a match winner in 2-3 seasons. Should be in for Stephenson.
Colby Mckercher - Stud already, will only get better.
Jy Simpkin - Match winner last week, provides leadership and hardness around the ball.
Griffin Logue - Our best key defender.
Josh Goater - Important defensive piece for the next decade.
Wil Dawson - Long term key position piece.

Then you have early second round selections like Hardeman, Goad and George who have question marks but the potential is there.

I'm not saying Wil Dawson or Duursma for example would have won us the game or even make a big enough impact. Moreso that they will be significant pieces in our best 22 in 2-3 seasons that we have to look forward to.

And then we'll still get one of, if not the best kid in the country at the end of the year.

Exciting times.

Has anyone posted Goals from free kick numbers ?
If so has anyone pinned it to any media journalist?

It’s weird that one missed 50m is the talking point and not the 10 / 2 goals directly from free kicks.

Has anyone posted Goals from free kick numbers ?
If so has anyone pinned it to any media journalist?

It’s weird that one missed 50m is the talking point and not the 10 / 2 goals directly from free kicks.
It’s not really. The question marks are over decisions that looked wrong. Imbalanced free kicks numbers mean nothing out of context.

It was a tough one to cop wasn’t it. Even when we were playing really well I was too anxious to enjoy it! But wow, I saw some spectacular pieces of play from my boys. We have to remember that while that loss and the last few years is all painful in the short term, it’s all going to pay off in the long term. Unfortunately losses like this are an essential part of the learning process. I remember in 2015, the Bulldogs led by a similar margin and were overrun by a St Kilda team. The year after, the dogs won the flag. Please don’t think that I’m suggesting that we’ll win the flag next year, but what I’m saying is that you have to learn how to get a lead first and foremost, then you have to learn what to do when you have it. We couldn’t even get a lead a month ago, now look at us.

For people saying that it will scar the players mentally, it definitely won’t. That’s why the coaching staff are there. They are trained to deal with this kind of thing and will teach the players to understand it’s all part of the process. Thank your lucky stars that we have Clarko. There’s no other coach in the league that I would choose to lead the team in this current state. We’re so lucky we have him.

Last point- the umpiring. Yes, those decisions were costly and I’m not burying my head in the sand. But we can’t allow ourselves to fall into the trap of playing the victim though but rather a participant. Recognise that we are an active participant in this footy journey, not a passive victim. Every experience, including losses and injustices, is a part of our personal and collective growth.

That non 50 decision is beyond belief.
Ironically I remember 2-weeks ago a North player got called for running over the mark by the umpire, and a 50m was given to the opposition. This was even though the North player after having the spot marked by the umpire then moved 2-3 metres behind the mark, and as soon as he moved forward a metre, the umpire called him for going over the mark.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Autopsy vs Collingwood aka the Great Pain Robbery

Remove this Banner Ad

Back