All Australian
Aug 11, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
port adelaide sometimes
In another thread I wrote:

In May, Adelaide face Hawthorn, the Giants, St Kilda and North Melbourne and could win three of those four games to be 5-4 by the end of the month…
After going down to premiership favourite Hawthorn by a couple of kicks on Saturday in a quality contest, is anyone prepared to say that Adelaide will not be 5-4 by the end of this month?
The forward structure has been the main problem all year. Josh Jenkins was given Taylor Walker's job and, yes, he missed some easy ones but he is a work in progress. Ten kicks, six marks and 2.4 is much better than 0.0.0.0. He straightened up Adelaide's attack. Please stick with this basketballer, AFC. Give him time to learn his craft.
Adelaide's defence kept Franklin to no goals. Ben Rutten, as slow as he seems, is effective in the packs and understands how to take the right position. Daniel Talia is a rock solid consistent and efficient defender still learning the game… he's a pebble turning into a rock. And Brent Reilly, after being confused by the rule changes in the early rounds of this season, and conceding too many dangerous frees, has settled down to become, in my opinion, the most important player in this team.
Bernie Vince has stopped fooling around. He burnt his heart out against Hawthorn. That's a good start to your lousy season so far, Bernie. Much more is required and much more is required for a long time. Welcome back.
Richard Douglas is a hidden player in the Adelaide lineup. Sometimes he disappears; other times he pops out of his own dust with exquisite judgement and explosive impact. I like the fact that he's a hidden player. If we don't see him as a major contributor to a sudden change of team momentum, nor do the opposition.
And then there's Adelaide's load-bearing camel – Scott Thompson who earns the hard ball, takes the hard knocks and racks up the possessions and the forward thrusts. His work is often hidden; you think he's missing and later see that he had, for example, 24 disposals and five tackles in that Hawthorn game. And not to mention Rory Sloane, the long-eared puppy, who plays above his weight and height. Rory injects faith and hope into the team, at every contest.
And then, of course, there's Adelaide's raging bull, Patrick Dangerfield. He and Luke Hodge carried their respective teams on their broad backs last Saturday with sheer and utter determination. Hawthorn knew that Dangerfield was their biggest threat and they threw everything they had against him. Patrick rose far above their challenge. He's a jewel in the field and Adelaide is blessed for having him. This team should not squander its destiny.
At 2-4, Adelaide is back on track. It's slowly building after a summer hiccup. Only fools and their friends would write this team off for a final four finish, so early in the season.

I am confident that our second half of the season will be much better than our first. The question will be how far behind we are due to this slow-burn start to the year. I think we expected to be scratchy for a few games but I suspect the miscalculation in how competitive we have (not) been in the opening rounds has been to do with the output of Jacobs in particular. Perhaps also the bedding in of a slightly more sophisticated game plan.

Also, not at all sure we can tick off North as a sure fire win, and even St Kilda is not guaranteed.

And Brent Reilly, after being confused by the rule changes in the early rounds of this season, and conceding too many dangerous frees, has settled down to become, in my opinion, the most important player in this team.

I stopped reading right about here.

Hope you're right.

I'm a little worried that what we saw against Hawthorn was a big 'one off' effort as a response to losing Tex.
I know what you mean. I want to see some anger at being 2 - 4 and also in destroying Sandos previous record of not loosing 2 in a row. I dont want us thinking it was a good effort against Hawthorn so all is ok. They need to be gutted by letting that one go. We should be on fire next week and then I will believe we have turned it around.

I know what you mean. I want to see some anger at being 2 - 4 and also in destroying Sandos previous record of not loosing 2 in a row. I dont want us thinking it was a good effort against Hawthorn so all is ok. They need to be gutted by letting that one go. We should be on fire next week and then I will believe we have turned it around.
We're happy getting close enough because so many of our supporters are happy with that.

We don't demand success, we demand average. Sure, when we play like absolute shit the supporters get mad, then we put in a game like against the Hawks and we are content that we've improved. Job done, we fall back to crap again.

I'm prepared for us to put in an absolute stinker against the Giants. We will win though so people will be happy.

I'm a little worried that what we saw against Hawthorn was a big 'one off' effort as a response to losing Tex.

I thought it was more just our old habits of playing good (but not good enough) against good teams, then shithouse against bad teams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back on track

Remove this Banner Ad

Back