Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 12, 2003
under the table
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Not important
Right,

Now I know this might end up on the "Cricket board" however I find that the best answers come from "General Talk." Anyhoo...

My question is, "Should the person who hit the ball over the fence, on the full, go and get the ball from the next door neighbours backyard, dog or no dog or should it be the person who bowled the bouncer knowing full well the batsman couldn't help himself?"

My opinion (the bowler) is that the batsman should get it. Simple. He hit it, he should get it.

My brother (the Batsman) disagrees.

Always the batsman (unless alternative rules are agreed prior to play by both parties).

Which brother is older?

The youngest, which generally means the smallest, will have to fetch the ball no matter what.

Fetch the ball or cop a dead arm

Depends who's bigger... if you are the batter and bigger than the bowler, well then, laws of mass and power sees the bowler go and fetch it. ;)

If you have a particularly short fence at square leg - then you should make a no-bouncer rule, and a bowler retrieve rule.

funkyfreo said:
If you have a particularly short fence at square leg - then you should make a no-bouncer rule, and a bowler retrieve rule.

No, the batter should have more discipline. Tradition should not be tampered with.

batsman always unless it goes over without the batsman touching it then its the bowler

purplesoul said:
No, the batter should have more discipline. Tradition should not be tampered with.

Well for mine a bouncer on a short leg-side-fence yard is against the spirit of the game - which surely is the greater tradition;)

funkyfreo said:
Well for mine a bouncer on a short leg-side-fence yard is against the spirit of the game - which surely is the greater tradition;)

Aiming a bouncer at your brothers head not in the spirit of backyard cricket? You're still in honeymoon land, right?

purplesoul said:
Aiming a bouncer at your brothers head not in the spirit of backyard cricket? You're still in honeymoon land, right?

I know! That's why we play.

He's the older brother, but he's weedy, whilst I'm stocky and can take him down. He may've gotten away with sending me over years ago, but not now.

The fence is a large one and "regulation height" as it were.

Totally agree if the bowler bounces the batter and the batter don't touch it and it goes over, the bowler goes and gets it from over the fence.

The rules are never stipulated, they are always in place and anyone who makes em up as they go is not only a cheat, but quite possibly my older brother!!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

purplesoul said:

A bouncer deserves to be sent six houses down, and only making the bowler retrieve it will discourage the delivery. I guess you aussies are more interested in intimidation and machismo than the finer points of shotmaking. As will be revealed this coming winter with a mighty English Ashes triumph;)

funkyfreo said:
A bouncer deserves to be sent six houses down, and only making the bowler retrieve it will discourage the delivery. I guess you aussies are more interested in intimidation and machismo than the finer points of shotmaking. As will be revealed this coming winter with a mighty English Ashes triumph;)

You English just don't get it do you. You never will either.

Now back to the backyard......

Runknisse said:
You English just don't get it do you. You never will either.

Now back to the backyard......

Does the fact my fave shot is the leave outside off add to my not getting it?

when i play backyard cricket...if it goes over the fence...we make it 6 and out...and if i hit it over..i make the bowler go get it...if the batting person hits hit over..when its not me...they go get it...lol

I don't hit bouncers that well anyway............and as a bowler, if i was to bowl the bouncer i would expect the batter to get the ball :p

In backyard cricket, hitting the batsman is easily as good as a wicket, particularly when you get them on that fleshy part of the thigh that bruises real easy.

IMO, it's essential that you have a slightly uneven pitch, so there's always that degree of uncertainty for the batsman. Cracked driveway concrete is good. If the surface is flat, then the pitch has to be pretty short.

My mates and I had a great driveway in uni. It had concrete for the car wheels and grass down the middle. The ball seemed to shoot of the turf like you wouldn't believe. We had a fibro sheet at the back of the car port about 10 feet behind the wicket that had numerous golf ball sized holes in it about eight feet up. Other times it kept real low. Good times.

Remove this Banner Ad

Backyard Cricket question

Remove this Banner Ad

Back