Oppo Camp Banter with a Hawthorn supporter

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawks do have a team of champions. We just have a champion team.
This is probably the generalisation about Hawthorn which irks me the most. Who are these Hawthorn "champions" ? Mitchell, Hodge, Franklin.... Roughead?....... Rioli?...................Burgoyne? ummmmmm.... Birchall is a gun...... mmmmm.... ummmmmmm.... Gibson, Lake and Guerra go alright..... errrr...... ahhhh..... hmmmmmm. Lewis? Sewell? Breust? Gunstan? Smith? Good players.

Hawthorn's winning seasons with Al Clarkson have been built on teamwork and blue-collar grunt. Every bit as much as Geelong or Sydney or Ross Lyon's Saints and Dockers. Maybe more so. The only reason people see us as the "Hollywood" team of champions is because we emphasise precise kicking skills and also the media like to fap over the individual feats of brilliance from Buddy and Cyril (and ignore all the good team stuff they do)

It's just lazy analysis.

Fremantle topliners: Pavlich, Fyfe, Hill, Sandilands, McPharlin, Johnson, Mundy, Walters, Ballantyne, Crowley, Mayne, Barlow... and then you have quality players such as Ibbotson, Morabito out injured, Suban, Spurr, De Boer and underrated guys like Clarke, Dawson, Mzungu, Pearce and so on.

It's hardly a big gap in talent between our sides. If anything, you guys probably shade us.

Both clubs reached the Grand Final because they were the best TEAMS of 2013

I still can't shake the feeling that he was foxing Geelong at Simonds earlier this year.

You're damn right he did, Whatley and Healy already came out and said it, they knew what Lyon was doing. The only person who didn't know was Scott, he played all his cards out that night.

lol at the Geelong supports on bigfooty after that round 14 game thinking their defense was something special.

Against the Hawks Lyon let Birchall run free all day without a man, letting him do whatever he wanted and setting up play after play from defense. He had 37 possessions that day. Lyon always shuts down linking playmakers.

Lyon and Freo are on a snatch and grab mission at a Premiership.

Not confident. Cocky. There's a difference.

I'm beginning to remember the 2010 elimination final when the anticipated Hawks vs Geelong match up in the semi was a mere formality. Just had to belt those pesky Dockers.

What about Clarkson's contrite presser after that game.
A lot of teams will be glad we are out. Not even a word of acknowledgement about being beaten from Freo'.
Poor attitude flows down from the top. Clarkson is an angry little man.
He is going to be very angry Saturday Afternoon.:thumbsu:

Having just taken a peak at the Hawks board (which is something I don't normally do before a game - visit the opposition board; although I did last week and it has to be said that Sydney fans are a pretty classy bunch), I am quite taken with the way their supporters are discussing the upcoming game on Saturday. It goes something like this:

Hawks Poster 1 (HP1): F*** yeah my dick is bigger than theirs, we got this one.

HP2: yeah mine too, in fact I got a much bigger dick, they won't know what hit them.

HP3: shit yeah, mine is also bigger. F*** we all got bigger dicks than theirs.

HP1: yeah, boys, we show our dicks here all the time, they will be too scared to show their little dicks at the MCG. Their dicks hardly even know where the MCG is. Our nine inch nails OWN the MCG.

HP2/HP3/HP4 et al: F*** yeah - our dicks are made for the MCG!

Freo Poster 1 (FP1): Umm fellas, it's not all about how big your appendages are, it's also about what you do with them. We're pretty good with ours too you know.

HP1: yeah but yours are gay dicks cos they're purple.

HP2/3/4 etc: Lol lol lol lol lol... Yeah, we can have as many dick measuring contests as we want here cos this is our board so excuse us while we keep telling each other we got this cos we KNOW we got bigger ones than yours. You can have sensible footy talk on your board if you want, but this is our board, so if we want to be cocky dicks we can. Don't let the door hit your arse on the way out.

FP2: We played a high pressure game against Sydney and we beat Geelong in Geelong - will your guys who are used to a more free flowing game be able to handle this?

Hawthorn Moderator: Stop trying to have a proper discussion on our board while we are all busy telling each other how awesome our dicks are. You won't be warned again.

HP3: We'll kill them. Ross Lyon has killed footy - he's probably cut his dick right off, that's how shit his game plan is. F*** Ross Lyon and f*** the shit footy he plays.

etc etc etc

Geez they're ridiculous. :rolleyes:

They are stuck in their little bubble world IP. Reality is going to be a cold hard slap in the face for them.:thumbsu:

What about Clarkson's contrite presser after that game.
A lot of teams will be glad we are out. Not even a word of acknowledgement about being beaten from Freo'.
Poor attitude flows down from the top. Clarkson is an angry little man.
He is going to be very angry Saturday Afternoon.:thumbsu:

Just wait until he's the coach of West Coast! Then we'll see how angry he really gets.

You're damn right he did, Whatley and Healy already came out and said it, they knew what Lyon was doing. The only person who didn't know was Scott, he played all his cards out that night.

lol at the Geelong supports on bigfooty after that round 14 game thinking their defense was something special.

Against the Hawks Lyon let Birchall run free all day without a man, letting him do whatever he wanted and setting up play after play from defense. He had 37 possessions that day. Lyon always shuts down linking playmakers.

Lyon and Freo are on a snatch and grab mission at a Premiership.
I have felt the same way about those two games. Lyon is a genius. I knew we would win on Saturday night. I have the same feeling now. Lyon wants a flag more than the players if that is even possible.

Are you guys legit? Talk about selective reading, about 1 in every 25 posts in some idiot posting rubbish. Pretty much all the other posts acknowledge that if Freo bring the intensity like they did in the preliminary final, it will be one very tough game of footy. A lot of posters are in fact very nervous of the pressure that Freo will apply. It is something that Hawthorn can struggle with. Will be one cracking game of footy though.

Anyway enjoy the week, and soak it all in. Don't let the petty things get to you. As a supporter of the one of the competing teams this is the best week of your footy supporting life.

I had a bit of a gaze, and even noticed some flog posters who seem to think that Crowley is the only thing we have that is a threat to them! God I hope the Hawks players are even half as cocky as their supporters. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Defence wins Premierships. And Freo's is the best in the league.

Freo's pressure on the ball carrier is literally the best ever at the moment. Unrelentless and manic. Its unpenetrable. And Hawthorn's open style of play falls into your hands.

So I hope you smash those pansy front running tough sticker wearing bunch of kents and leave their bandwagon fairweather dips*it supporters crying and w*nking themselves to sleep - again.

I'm not getting involved with that BS this week. Just gonna soak up the good stuff.
This. SO much this. This is a week for good feelings. I'm already anticipating watching the footy media tonight and The Browlow. See how many votes Barlow, Mundy and Nat "The Knife" "Hercules" Fyfe rack up.
Tomorrow morning I will wander down the local coffee shop, get breakfast burrito and a take away long mac and then walk to Freo Oval to sit for the last time under the great figs in the Salim Malik Stand and just take it all in.
Thats as far ahead as I'm planning but its going to be universal love for all in my path! :rainbow:

As an aside, I wonder if Ross was foxing Hawthorn earlier this year at Aurora? I still can't shake the feeling that he was foxing Geelong at Simonds earlier this year.
The main argument against that is he's pretty keen on banking 4 points every week. To win finals you have to play finals as he has said.

However. There is no doubt at all that he has an eye on the business end of the season and his management of players injuries has been extremely conservative resulting in us having all our best players up and about at the right time.
I don't think he has any problems with crossing swords with the best early in the piece but he wasn't going to compromise best practice for injury management and it seemed that when it was time to cross swords he couldn't put anything like his best players out there so chose to find out what some of the younger and depth players were made of, hoped for the best but wasn't perhaps too concerned when we couldn't come away with a win.
His whole manner and choice of words changed when the serious stuff came around. He put it out there that we were going to Geelong to win and I have no doubt he has some dry powder for this week.

This. SO much this. This is a week for good feelings. I'm already anticipating watching the footy media tonight and The Browlow. See how many votes Barlow, Mundy and Nat "The Knife" "Hercules" Fyfe rack up.
Tomorrow morning I will wander down the local coffee shop, get breakfast burrito and a take away long mac and then walk to Freo Oval to sit for the last time under the great figs in the Salim Malik Stand and just take it all in.
Thats as far ahead as I'm planning but its going to be universal love for all in my path! :rainbow:

E dont forget to post on the atmosphere and how the boys are training,
Only you and Irish left in town from the training lurkers
Its up to you two:rainbow:
Wish all the regulars who have reported on training could be here in Melbourne ,all that commitment through out the season deserves to see the fruits of their labours come to fruition,will miss you all :(

E dont forget to post on the atmosphere and how the boys are training,
Only you and Irish left in town from the training lurkers
Its up to you two:rainbow:
Wish all the regulars who have reported on training could be here in Melbourne ,all that commitment through out the season deserves to see the fruits of their labours come to fruition,will miss you all :(
Cheers mate, have the time of your life over there and do the club proud with your support.
I'm actually cool about being here. The atmosphere in Freo is electric and will only build as the week goes on :) This is going to be a hell of a week!

...Tomorrow morning I will wander down the local coffee shop, get breakfast burrito and a take away long mac and then walk to Freo Oval to sit for the last time under the great figs in the Salim Malik Stand and just take it all in... :rainbow:

I envy you living in Freo, E. Always loved Freo, would love to live in the place if it was more practical for me and work and persuading the wife. That place is going to take off this week and IF things go our way (please!!) its going to be electric!!!

I envy you living in Freo, E. Always loved Freo, would love to live in the place if it was more practical for me and work and persuading the wife. That place is going to take off this week and IF things go our way (please!!) its going to be electric!!!
I've lived here on and off for years, particularly in the 80's when it was cheap. Could rent an old house for next to nothing. I'm just house sitting for a friend at the moment for 5 weeks but what a time to do it! Normally I'm up in Swanbourne near the beach which is quite civilised but a little dull compared to Freo. Hope to end up back here.

I love living in Freo. Any excuse at the moment to take detours to wherever I need to go and drive through the centre of town. You can literally feel the buzz in the air. It's bloody brilliant!! <3

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Banter with a Hawthorn supporter

Remove this Banner Ad

Back