Barlow Trade Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Correct I mean option one.

Hayes is probably the best of the value mids, has just had the 65 two weeks ago which means he is at his lowest value for about 8 weeks. With a break even of 84 he is on his way back up again next week.

It all really depends what you are after with the trade. Most will be after the best available which imo is chappy/tags/ablett/swan, however if it's value you are after there are plenty with value next to there name judd/simpson/hayes/thompson all underpriced.

surely Lenny Hayes is the best value mid atm

I'd say these players are better value:

Chris Judd (Ave 106 and at 391K!) - Bargain
Gary Ablett (Ave 122 and at 456K) - Bargain if he plays out the year
Brent Stanton (Ave 100 and at 359K) - Absolute bargain if he gets back to early season form
Kade Simpson (Ave 106 and at 403K) - Consistent as ****
Paul Chapman (Ave 118 and at 459K) - Bargain if he plays out the year
Leigh Montagna (Ave 114 and at 459K) - Bargain. His price will keep going up.

Lenny Hayes (Ave 106 and at 426K) - Good value, but there are better choices imo. Especially given the talk of him having some groin issues.

My current mids are

Ablett, Swan, Montagna, J Selwood, Gibbs, Barlow

Already have Goddard, Hodge in backs and Chappy up forward. Also already have 6 Geelong players too. My team otherwise does not need anyfurther upgrades so I'm looking for a straight swap for best scoring potential. The players I'm looking at are Boyd, Bartel, Hayes and maybe Corey - looked good in first game back but could be risky and let's face it- all Cats players had a DT field day on the weekend.

Leaning towards Boyd for consistency as well as the ability to pull out massive scores. Hayes I'm not sure about - good value but rumours about dodgy groins etc putting me off. Bartel I like but 7 cats too many???? Probably going to go Boyd I think but nor sure. Would leave a midfield of

Ablett, Swan, Montagna, Boyd, J Selwood, Gibbs

Guys, what do you reckon for Barlow's replacement?

Current mids: Ablett, Swan, Gibbs, Montagna, Murphy, ??

Judd looks very tempting, but dont think i can risk having Judd, Gibbs AND Murphy in my mids.

So am leaning toward Bartel or Chappy??

Current Midfield - Ablett, Swan, Judd, Cooney, Mitchell, Barlow with Trengove and Jetta on the bench

I can afford any player.

Joel Corey?!?! No one would have him in their teams and if he stays on the park I think he might dominate.

Or should I go the safe option of a Boyd or Montagna?

Im thinking long and hard about this, been on my mind all week. My current midfeild is..

Swan, Hayes, Pendelbury, Mitchell, Selwood, Barlow* ( Armstrong, Gysberts )

My thoughts on the following im concidering.

Ablett - Obviously at a low price, seems the most logical person to come in for Barlow since i dont have him, i am just really concerned that he will be rested, and concidering i am going for league win sitting on top, most other teams have him and my theory is that if he does get rested in Rd's 18 - 22 most likely Rd 21 or 22 i dont want to be without 110 points, or have to settle for Armstrong's 70 average. I would love to have him in but i dont know if i will take the risk.

Montagna - Huge scorer, been killing it of late, once again we cant forget Ross Lyon last year resting 6 players in Rd 19 and costing people wins in the finals, who's to say that this wont happen again if St Kilda have second or top spot sewn up, i already have Hayes so would again be a big risk i dont know if i'm willing to take.

Boyd - I like the look of Boyd, hes been averaging 111 over the past 5 games, very consistent and the Doggies will be giving everything they have got comming into the final rounds of the year, with their current ladder position, only one other team in my league have Boyd and i think it could prove to be the right decision, i am leaning towards Boyd the more i think about it.

Simpson - Priced at just over $400k, and averaging 108 i think he could be a great option, Carlton i place in the same basket as Western Bulldogs, in that they are pressing for a top 4 or even a top 8 spot, wont be rested at all, hes not the prettiest choice, i mean he wont look as good as having an Ablett, Montagna, or Boyd in your team, but he provides a 108 average, hes consistent and a safe bet, plus you save 55k on the trade.

It would mean that i have 110k left over all up and 5 trades left with no more upgrades to make, i could however use the money to upgrade Brown to Roo, or Shaw to Gilbert/Lake come finals time.

With the amount of trades i have left and the midfield i have what player would you be going?

Am i being too worried about Ablett and Montagna, is Simpson at a 108 ave and 55k a good idea, would love to know your thoughts boys?

Was thinking of Boyd so had a look at his numbers against last four opponents of this season. Following is his record starting 2008, surprisingly his numbers are not that great:

Adelaide 94,73,52
Geelong 81,120,96,46
Sydney 100,75,131,76,73
Essendon 75,112,88,113

It's true that he's in great form at the moment and unlikely to be rested in those final rounds, but his record against these four sides doesn't exactly make him a walk up replacement for Barlow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I already have Swan, Bartel, Montagna, Selwood and Gibbs.

For Barlow only the best will do.

I think it's very lucky that his price is so high and I'm able to get Ablett.

Boyd, Pendles and Dal Santo could pay off but I'm not taking the risk.

I will have all the best captain options. I'm sure there's a couple of 150+ scores left from Gaj and putting the big (C) on him will be worth more than just the total of his scores.

I decided to go Barlow>Ablett (As I already have Montagna). Ablett is a proven gun and will always go 100+ and he's due for a big game!

I got Ablett, Montagna, Bartel, Selwood, Ball & ROK starting in the mids now

The decision of who to bring in this week for Barlow has been doing my head in.

My current midfield is Ablett, Bartel, Selwood, Hayes, Dal Santo, Barlow

I have enough to bring in any player and have 9 trades remaining. Barlow to Montagna would be the best option but then that would make all 6 players in my midfield coming from 2 teams and with it looking like they will finish 1 & 2 the fear is they rest players.

Do I bring in Swan? Yes his price is high but at least you get a proven scorer from a different team. I could also look at Boyd...

If you don't have Swan and have the cash, it's a no brainer for mine.
I've owned him from the start and the man is a machine.

This is exactly what i was thinking. I dont have swan or ablett. But I got 2440 last week without them :)

I have:

Boyd, Bartell, Pendles, Montagna, Trengove and Barlow

I figure since I have 190k in the bank with 4 trades I will go:

Barlow --> Swan

At that point I have 3 trades left and still have enough to:

Jack Trengove --> Selwood

Selwood is likely to go up again in price next week....but I may just hold off as I dont really need to make that trade...yet. And Trengove has been making some nice scores...

Thoughts?

<KS>

Been thinking about it this all week, Joey is a better pick then Boyd but the chance of him being rested is a huge factor, that and all the people in my other league have Joey and no one has Boyd....

So do I pick Joey knowing that if he gets rested everyone else will suffer or if he doesnt get rested then he will average more than Boyd???

IMO its like a difference of max 10ppg between them - but if Joey does get rested even once then that will hopefully balance with extra points scored.

ARG! could i get some assistance
icon_smile.gif

Thx!!!

It sucks because the people that matter in my league (ie the 2nd and 3rd teams that are below me) both have Boyd, so although he looks very solid to me, im trying to find another unique mid. It's probably going to be Hayes, even with the rest factor.

And P i have montagna myself and he's a gem. I think with the Sanits easy run home if he isn't rested then you might have a disadvantage with Boyd, especially since the Saints have something like 5 out of 6 of their last games at Etihad.

Am going to go Montagna over Ablett... If I had a stronger midfield, I'd probably get Carrazzo at the bargain price of 313k and utilize his dual position with my strong back reserves.

A real tough one, been literally keeping me up at night lol.
My midfield is; Swan, Selwood, Bartel, Montagna, Goodes(DP) & of course Barlow.
I always go for highest ranking before leagues. My current ranking is 1600th so I'm not in contention, but I still want to finish as high as possible.
My options are; GAJ, Chappy, HAyes, Pendles, Boyd & NDS(money is not an issue)
GAJ-is known to end a season, not as well as he starts... In poor form by his standards, will get rested at some stage.
Chappy-if he would play every game for the rest of the year, I would get him in a heart beat... I very much doubt he will though.
Hayes- Will average around 110+, but I am sure he will also miss at some stage, when you factor in his age too.
Pendles- a good unique, but does he have the scoring potential of the others? He may but has always been a little up and down.
NDS- similar to Pendles but with a more likely scenario, due to past stats, that he will have a poor one or two also has potentialto sit out a match to.
Boyd- looked to me the most obvious, but he has poor records against his opponents... won't get rested which is a major factor which may just get him over the line. Plus last year he finished the year off with a BANG, can history repeat?

Remove this Banner Ad

Barlow Trade Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back