Beau Dowler

Remove this Banner Ad

Eddie19 said:
Most Mock Drafts has us picking him up at pick 4 what are your thoughts on this

The mock drafts are based on our strong interest in him even after the accident.

Checking Footydraft just now with an updated order and a few surprises there now. Confirms a couple of things that I have heard.

Carlton will be selecting Marc with pick 1.

Collingwood are no sure thing to take Xavier Ellis but they want midfielders and are struggling to find another 1 at this position.

Hawthorn have a lot of interest in Beau Dowler at pick 3.

Carlton will be taking a tall at pick 4 and will be Dowler if passes the medical and is available. Then Mitch Clark (our former number 1) and then Josh Kennedy. Not sure who is favoured out of these 2 should Dowler not be chosen.

We have no interest in Shannon Hurn or Ryder and never did :mad:
We considered Drum and Swallow but have passed.

Collingwood just as Footydraft has done are very interested in Dale Thomas and likely to take him at 5. They also have no interest in Shannon Hurn or any of the talls. Outside chance of Swallow but the poor kicking means he is unlikely.

Hawthorn are likely to not take Hurn at 6 and will go for another tall at 6. There 2 players look like to come out of Dowler. Kennedy and Ryder.
Clarkson wont take a risk on Swallow's poor kicking and they will look to take midfielders with pick 14/18/22.

None of this information is coming from Carlton(apart form the pick 4 stuff) and is just some things I was told on the weekend. Could be a complete ruse but think it was genuine at the time.

So thought I would put it up. Anybody want to hammer me or ask where I got it from then please dont bother.

Thanks for the update.

I guess I am a bit upset that we're not interested in Hurn but the more I read about Dowler, the more I seem to think he is a really good prospect, however if the Hawks take him and we get Clark, I'm going to be really angry. I don't care how good the kid can play from what I've heard about his attitude, I would have thought we would learned something from Norman and Angwin.

deluxeman said:
Thanks for the update.

I guess I am a bit upset that we're not interested in Hurn but the more I read about Dowler, the more I seem to think he is a really good prospect, however if the Hawks take him and we get Clark, I'm going to be really angry. I don't care how good the kid can play from what I've heard about his attitude, I would have thought we would learned something from Norman and Angwin.

I agree 100%. Take Dowler if he is there and they think he will make a full recovery (seems likely now) but if he is not then take Hurn.
Leadership and skills and the sort of player we dont have. Does not fit Pagans love for the quick midfielder (1st picks have been Simpson, Walker and Russell under Denis) but best available please Carlton.

I think Cypher and I will have to organise a kidnapping of Wayne Hughes and we can be his replacement :D

Mojo,

It is all a ruse.....after the draft Hughes aqnd Pagan will boldly declare we stole two theoretically interchangeable number 1 selections in this years draft, Murphy and Hurn :D

Bluemike said:
Where has this stuff about Clark's attitude come from?

fom his coach at East Fremantle (Dunbar) who told recruiters he is a bit lazy and does not do the work and is a party boy. Add that to his form at the Champs and after that in the WAFL where he was dropped to the U19s and we have a problem.
Nothing he cant turn around if he wants. Had a bit if a back injury also.

PLUS

Pavlich, Franklin supposed squibs with attitude problems who have adjusted well and dont seem to have any of it now

NEGATIVE

Polak, Angwin very talented players who dont seem to have the right attitude (Polak) or are gone already (Angwin). Could add Norman here and a lot of others.

Gilly1972 said:
Mojo,

It is all a ruse.....after the draft Hughes aqnd Pagan will boldly declare we stole two theoretically interchangeable number 1 selections in this years draft, Murphy and Hurn :D

Maybe we are trying to force Hawthorn to take Dowler at 3 and leave us Kennedy as that is who we want and Dowler is our 2nd preference.
I doubt it but would not believe anything until after it is all said and done with this draft.

mojo31 said:
I agree 100%. Take Dowler if he is there and they think he will make a full recovery (seems likely now) but if he is not then take Hurn.
Leadership and skills and the sort of player we dont have. Does not fit Pagans love for the quick midfielder (1st picks have been Simpson, Walker and Russell under Denis) but best available please Carlton.

I think Cypher and I will have to organise a kidnapping of Wayne Hughes and we can be his replacement :D

Hmm...do you believe the Blues would go with Ellis at 4 if he is still avaliable then?

I am surprised that the Pies aren't interested in Hurn though, with Buckley and Burns not getting any younger. I guess all speculation wll be over in 4 days! :D

People are saying Dowler will be the next Tredders and Hurn could be the next Riccuito which one do we take? I am surprised we arent interested in Hurn

I'm not in Melbourne at the moment, but I did read on a post here on BF a while ago that Mick Malthouse was on SEN and all but confirmed Collingwood would take Ellis at #2. Given that there is not much seperating Kennedy and Dowler IMO, i'd be happy to take either one of these two.

If I had to pick one, maybe Dowler, and this is only becuase he is a Vic boy.

IMO, this is how the top 6 will look:

#1 Murphy
#2 Ellis
#3 Kennedy
#4 Dowler
#5 Thomas
#6 Ryder

Eddie,

to avoid repetition on here, i suggest you go and have a look at mojo's excellent summery of players in his moronic draft thread.

Dowler doesn't sound to me like he will develop into a tredders type player, but will instead be more of a mobile Riewoldt type player, who will play more versatile than a Tredrea. It all depends on how he fills out / how much speed and agility he loses when he does so, etc.....

Despite people denying Hurn's lack of pace, he just sounds a bit too one-paced, one-dimensional at the moment to be an attractive proposition for Hughes and Pagan, IMO.

Gilly1972 said:
Eddie,

to avoid repetition on here, i suggest you go and have a look at mojo's excellent summery of players in his moronic draft thread.

Dowler doesn't sound to me like he will develop into a tredders type player, but will instead be more of a mobile Riewoldt type player, who will play more versatile than a Tredrea. It all depends on how he fills out / how much speed and agility he loses when he does so, etc.....

Despite people denying Hurn's lack of pace, he just sounds a bit too one-paced, one-dimensional at the moment to be an attractive proposition for Hughes and Pagan, IMO.
People have been saying Dowler will be like tredrea not me

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's cool, wasn't being critical....all we know is he has to bulk up to be AFL ready, so who knows how much/easily he does.....my point is looking at his current body type, he doesn't strike me as ever being as solid and muscle-bound as Tredrea, but a bit more rangey and mobile, in the vein of Riewoldt.

Gilly1972 said:
Eddie,

I think the problem with Hurn and I made mention of it is not the pure speed in a straight line but his lack of agility and his slow turning circle. This is where he will get run around by other players.

Put Marc Murphy and Hurn in a sprint and there would not be that much difference. However give Marc the ball and Hurn nearby and he would dance around him with his ability to change direction and use footwork. Light on his feet and very hard to tackle. Hurn would run over the top of him if he had the ball at this stage even though Murphy is a fine tackler but the extra 20kgs would be to much.
Give Murphy 1 or 2 solid pre seasons and it would not happen but he would still be much more agile and "football quick".

Just trying to make sense of the ratings of Hurn and be the devils advocate.

Hurn for all this talk of being a 'inside player' and a a 'big bodied midfielder' need to realise that Hurn is not a midfielder. He has not played as one.
Does not do it for Centrals and did not do it in the U18s Championships.
He is a half back flanker with superb kicking skills.
He has oestitus pubis and is not fit enough to be a midfielder and does not really show that he will be an inside clearance player.
Not saying that he wont be when he is fit but tat this stage it is a leap from where he is at.

People saying that he will be Ricciutto are a bit to optimistic. He might end up as that sort of player but it would be unlikely.

Marc Murphy is a clearance player. Plays midfield week in and week out and did so in the Championships. Gets tagged every week but still is able to win inside ball and link up and hurt teams with his good pace and skills and picks the right option. Complete player.

Hurn is very much an incomplete player. It comes down to how much he will improve when fully fit. Big he is and mature body and mind. However translating that into an inside player who will dominate in the centre square and roost the ball 55m of 1 step are far to optimistic.

We would be getting Joshua Hunt from Geelong and hoping that in time and with fitness he will turn into Cameron Ling with better skills.
Just depends how the recruiters think he will go when fully fit as to how high you rate Shannon Hurn.

Dowler can take a strong contested mark just like Tredrea but I see him more as an aerobically fit and tall forward. He will keep presenting and wear his opponent down (like Riewdolt was able to do in 2004). Take a good pack mark and is a sharp shooter for goal with great kicking skills.
That is how I would see him. I compared him in STYLE to Tarrant/Riewdolt/Hansen.
He is also younger than Kennedy by quite a margin and has more scope to really fill out and become a monster. He is much quicker off the mark and a better contested mark and better kick.
Not as big in his body yet and not as physical as Kennedy.
Dowler has the speed to play FF and the running ability to play CHF. Just depends how he develops.
Put the weight on and be like Fevola who is just as quick as when he first came to the club and is 20kg heavier now or like Livo who has also stacked the weight on to play on the gorillas and has lost pace.

Dowler might take 5 years to reach most of his potential. He will then be 22. By then Fevola might have been traded or near the end at 30. Lance wont be playing AFL. Our whole team will be completely different.

I know we would love to slot in a CHB or FB and not have to worry about our defence. Truth is we just need to take the best player. There are injuries, trades and players coming and going every year and trying to fix this whole and that whole is never going to work. By the time the drafted player is really ready to play good football the team will be a lot differnet anyway and the needs might well be different.

If Dowler is the best long term player then he needs to be taken. Even if after the accident and his slighter frame he has to be nursed for a while and will take longer than Kennedy and Hurn who are big bodies already.

Funkalicous said:
Dowler = Livingston

We should be going for the best available.

God our club is ******ed! :mad:

Dowler is not a draft camp special. He is footballer who has been rated highly for 2 years.

He also is a magnificent kick of the ball (unlike Livo who is u12 standard) and 195cms and 17 years old. If he grows more then thats great but if he does not then he is still 6 foot 5.

Livo finished behind Red in the time trial. I would hazard a guess that Dowler who plays FF Aand CHF and runs a 13.7 beep test would run rings around Livingston when fully fit already.

mojo31 said:
Livo finished behind Red in the time trial. I would hazard a guess that Dowler who plays FF Aand CHF and runs a 13.7 beep test would run rings around Livingston when fully fit already.

We won't even play Dowler forward. We'll try to make him a backmen, and it'll fail once more.

mojo31 said:
I think the problem with Hurn and I made mention of it is not the pure speed in a straight line but his lack of agility and his slow turning circle. This is where he will get run around by other players.

Put Marc Murphy and Hurn in a sprint and there would not be that much difference. However give Marc the ball and Hurn nearby and he would dance around him with his ability to change direction and use footwork. Light on his feet and very hard to tackle. Hurn would run over the top of him if he had the ball at this stage even though Murphy is a fine tackler but the extra 20kgs would be to much.
Give Murphy 1 or 2 solid pre seasons and it would not happen but he would still be much more agile and "football quick".

Hurn for all this talk of being a 'inside player' and a a 'big bodied midfielder' need to realise that Hurn is not a midfielder. He has not played as one.
He has oestitus pubis and is not fit enough to be a midfielder and does not really show that he will be an inside clearance player.
Not saying that he wont be when he is fit but tat this stage it is a leap from where he is at.

People saying that he will be Ricciutto are a bit to optimistic. He might end up as that sort of player but it would be unlikely.

Marc Murphy is a clearance player. Plays midfield week in and week out and did so in the Championships. Gets tagged every week but still is able to win inside ball and link up and hurt teams with his good pace and skills and picks the right option. Complete player.

Hurn is very much an incomplete player. It comes down to how much he will improve when fully fit. Big he is and mature body and mind. However translating that into an inside player who will dominate in the centre square and roost the ball 55m of 1 step are far to optimistic.

We would be getting Joshua Hunt from Geelong and hoping that in time and with fitness he will turn into Cameron Ling with better skills.
Just depends how the recruiters think he will go when fully fit as to how high you rate Shannon Hurn.

Dowler can take a strong contested mark just like Tredrea but I see him more as an aerobically fit and tall forward. He will keep presenting and wear his opponent down (like Riewdolt was able to do in 2004). Take a good pack mark and is a sharp shooter for goal with great kicking skills.
That is how I would see him. I compared him in STYLE to Tarrant/Riewdolt/Hansen.
He is also younger than Kennedy by quite a margin and has more scope to really fill out and become a monster. He is much quicker off the mark and a better contested mark and better kick.
Dowler has the speed to play FF and the running ability to play CHF. Just depends how he develops.
Put the weight on and be like Fevola who is just as quick as when he first came to the club and is 20kg heavier now or like Livo who has also stacked the weight on to play on the gorillas and has lost pace.

Dowler might take 5 years to reach most of his potential. He will then be 22. By then Fevola might have been traded or near the end at 30. Lance wont be playing AFL. Our whole team will be completely different.

I know we would love to slot in a CHB or FB and not have to worry about our defence. Truth is we just need to take the best player. There are injuries, trades and players coming and going every year and trying to fix this whole and that whole is never going to work. By the time the drafted player is really ready to play good football the team will be a lot differnet anyway and the needs might well be different.

If Dowler is the best long term player then he needs to be taken. Even if after the accident and his slighter frame he has to be nursed for a while and will take longer than Kennedy and Hurn who are big bodies already.
Nicely spoken Mojo Looks like Dowler going to be a star if everything goes to plan

Gilly1972 said:
That's cool, wasn't being critical....all we know is he has to bulk up to be AFL ready, so who knows how much/easily he does.....my point is looking at his current body type, he doesn't strike me as ever being as solid and muscle-bound as Tredrea, but a bit more rangey and mobile, in the vein of Riewoldt.
Cool! then Mate and go the Carlton Blues

mojo31 said:

Great post. :thumbsu:
mojo31 said:
I think Cypher and I will have to organise a kidnapping of Wayne Hughes and we can be his replacement
I know a few people in Carlton so just the name the time and place and I'll make the calls. ;) :p

Dowler will be a monster when he fills out!
draft_select2_narrowweb__300x495.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Beau Dowler

Remove this Banner Ad

Back