Ben McKinley

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi guys - sorry for the intrusion.

Firstly, hard luck. You copped the Cats on one of their 'on' nights.

A quick question on Ben McKinley - sorry if it has been posted before (couldn't be bothered searching) - where is he at?

I was a fan of his work as a junior and think he has a bit of talent but can't seem to crack a gig with WCE. Has he been injured or down on form?

I gather he has been there for 3 years or so? What is everyone's take on him?

I have high opinions of Bmac but when watching him while I was at the game tonight and the amount of times he went for the specky when it was more appropriate to do the team thing and just get the job done was frustrating. I think he needs to work on his team game if he gonna become a very good player much like Fev did early in his career.

I think he was dropped because of his lack of "work rate", which to me really meant: "stop standing at the top of the goalsquare trying to take 'mark of the year' every time and lead like you did against Port to kick 5 goals"

I have high opinions of Bmac but when watching him while I was at the game tonight and the amount of times he went for the specky when it was more appropriate to do the team thing and just get the job done was frustrating. I think he needs to work on his team game if he gonna become a very good player much like Fev did early in his career.

Fair enough, but i actualy like the fact that he is going for those marks. We havent had a player who attempts to take marks 2-3 deep in such a contested manner.

Against Geelong tonight in the first or second quarter i think, he just busted a pack of 4-5 players open which was awesome to see.

I turned off the game after the first half so i didnt see the rest of it, but i guess his decision making to bust open packs v. doing the team thing will get better as he gains more experience.

He's a little ripper though :thumbsu:

Fair enough, but i actualy like the fact that he is going for those marks. We havent had a player who attempts to take marks 2-3 deep in such a contested manner.

Against Geelong tonight in the first or second quarter i think, he just busted a pack of 4-5 players open which was awesome to see.

I turned off the game after the first half so i didnt see the rest of it, but i guess his decision making to bust open packs v. doing the team thing will get better as he gains more experience.

Agree with you its good to see that happening but the thing is he isn't big enough to do that type of thing everytime. I would prefer to see him in a more Mark Williams type role as a lead up forward with strong hands who can do the miraculous when called upon to.

If Woosh trades him at the end of the season.

I'll be angry :mad:

There is no way we would trade him unless he wants to come back home. He has said that if Wc gave him a contract that he would take it so i hope we offer him a long one!

Same. For all his size and strength, Lynchy doesnt try and crash a pack for a mark (and hopefully kill a few defenders on the way thru, a la Troy Wilson) nearly enough.

If we can get our hands on a genuine crumber (hello Garlett?!?), I'd tell McKinley to keep trying for the specky if the ball comes in long. LeCras will inevitably be at the base of the pack as well, try and cause a spillage rather than just letting defenders punch the ball thru.

I hope we get him sewn up on a new contract ASAP.

Hes suffering from Mitch Morton syndrome. Unless he pulls his head out of his ass hes gonna get kicked to the curb. A shame really because we need him at the club

Hes suffering from Mitch Morton syndrome. Unless he pulls his head out of his ass hes gonna get kicked to the curb. A shame really because we need him at the club

I think you are pretty close to the mark there Embers! His work rate last night seemed well below what he was doing earlier in the season, to me he didn't want to chase or lay a tackle.....a little disappointing considering his start to the season!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Prem87;11461943[B said:
]Fair enough, but i actualy like the fact that he is going for those marks. We havent had a player who attempts to take marks 2-3 deep in such a contested manner.[/B]

not like hunter never does it

yep and the coaching staff need to adress him with this as well, has so much potentieal just needs to lifet his game abit
;love him though

Agree with you its good to see that happening but the thing is he isn't big enough to do that type of thing everytime. I would prefer to see him in a more Mark Williams type role as a lead up forward with strong hands who can do the miraculous when called upon to.

thats is what we really need him and Lecreas can work in tandem

I think you are pretty close to the mark there Embers! His work rate last night seemed well below what he was doing earlier in the season, to me he didn't want to chase or lay a tackle.....a little disappointing considering his start to the season!

I agree he was pretty slack last night.

Could he have a Victorian club already line up for him, so he doesn't give a toss anymore.

Could he have a Victorian club already line up for him, so he doesn't give a toss anymore.

HOPE NOT!
he seemed a really matured bloke when he won the NAB RS and then his nect interview as well. I reckon everything turned "ugly" after that last interview about his contract.
hoping they sort this thing out

There are a lot of Rumors flying around about Benny Mac.
He will sign when he gets a contract, He wants to go home and is deferring contract talks, Has had his management talking to Vic Clubs to see if any are interested, He wants to Go to Essendon as thats who he supported as a Kid. There are a shit load more but they are Just Rumors so until the end of the year we wont know for sure.
My Personal feeling is he will leave at the end of the year and if we trade we should try to trade with Essendon( his club of choise) and try a straight swap for Leroy Jetta. He would be handy around goals and with Notte developing and Lecras getting better our forward line would have it all.:thumbsu: IMO!

Off field as well?

He seems like a decent bloke

Remove this Banner Ad

Ben McKinley

Remove this Banner Ad

Back