Remove this Banner Ad

FB Josh Rotham Tom Barrass Brad Sheppard
HB Shannon Hurn Jeremy McGovern Lewis Jetta
C Andrew Gaff Jack Redden Elliot Yeo
HF Jamie Cripps Jack Darling Jarrod Brander
FF Jake Waterman Josh J. Kennedy Liam Ryan
FOL Nic Naitanui Luke Shuey Tim Kelly
I/C Oscar Allen Liam Duggan Dom Sheed Jarrod Cameron

Now we have Tim Kelly, I think we should get rid of the tagging role (which would see Hutchings out of the team).

Now we have Tim Kelly, I think we should get rid of the tagging role (which would see Hutchings out of the team).
Is that you Woosh?

I doubt it. It's a land of the giants.

Oooh, I get what you're saying. I thought you meant I copied Woosha's team.

It is tall, but Brander has been playing that HFF role in WAFL and I just want to see more of him tbh, and you could have OA as pinch hitting in the ruck if NN can get his game time up which means Hickey doesn't take up a spot for 2nd ruck. If it's too tall out the back I guess you could put Nelson back there. I just left him out because he has a punchable face.

With Kelly we can now play Sheed in Gaff's Wing/Mid rotation. Sheed is a lot better contested than Gaff and is more than capable of playing on the outside.....and can kick goals!. Gaff can then play his wing role without the worry to play in the guts when we are not doing well. Yeo, Shuey and Kelly all play in the guts and then we can use Redden in a defensive role which pushes Hutchings out the team. From there we can use players like Pet, Ryan, Cripps & Venables to spend time in the middle as rotation.

B: Rotham - Barrass - Sheppard
HB: Hurn - McGovern - Jetta
C: Redden - Shuey - Gaff
HF: Kelly - Darling - Cripps
F: Allen - Kennedy - Ryan

R: Naitanui - Yeo - Sheed
I: Duggan - Brander - Hickey - Hutchings

E: Cameron - Vardy - Ah Chee - Cole

Personally, I would like to see Williams playing second ruck. He is more a true forward/ruck and is big enough to handle it. That leaves Hickey out of the team (who is really a first ruck) unless NN needs a rest or is injured. Would also like to see Rotham in for Schoey (love Schoey but it's time), with Barrass playing a more accountable role. Probably no place for Hutch in my best team either (not that I know what my best team is) - although at his tagging best, he is very useful. But either way, if he doesn't have a defined target to tag, there is no way he should be playing.

Personally, I would like to see Williams playing second ruck. He is more a true forward/ruck and is big enough to handle it. That leaves Hickey out of the team (who is really a first ruck) unless NN needs a rest or is injured. Would also like to see Rotham in for Schoey (love Schoey but it's time), with Barrass playing a more accountable role. Probably no place for Hutch in my best team either (not that I know what my best team is) - although at his tagging best, he is very useful. But either way, if he doesn't have a defined target to tag, there is no way he should be playing.

Not sure it would be wise to use a 19 year old to play the second ruck (although he probably has the athleticism to handle it). Talls always take time to develop, so I'm not sure if he's exactly ready yet.

Nic needs a full time ruck to share the load, not just a part time player.

Not sure it would be wise to use a 19 year old to play the second ruck (although he probably has the athleticism to handle it). Talls always take time to develop, so I'm not sure if he's exactly ready yet.

I see where you are coming from (sponsor), so won't argue the point...But note that OAllen, who is a lot slighter than Williams, was playing second ruck/chop out for a lot of the year...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see where you are coming from (sponsor), so won't argue the point...But note that OAllen, who is a lot slighter than Williams, was playing second ruck/chop out for a lot of the year...

That is true, but the difference you're forgetting is that Allen chopped out for the Hickster, rather than Nic. HickGod has a significantly higher TOG compared to Nic, so Oscar wasn't required to chop out as much as Williams might.

Last edited:
Yeah this was the point I was going to make- you have OAllen to help out Williams and he is more than capable in the ruck. NN60% with Williams and OAllen taking 20% each makes us a more dynamic and flexible team than having Hickey in there. Hopefully with a good preseason and a sustained run at it, Nic might be able to push those TOG numbers closer to 70%.

FB Hurn Barrass Sheppard
HB Rotham McGovern Jetta
C Gaff Shuey Kelly
HF Cripps Darling O Allen
FF Ryan Kennedy Cameron
FOLL Natanui Yeo Redden
IC Sheed Duggan Williams Ah Chee

Gov and Barrass are awesome at their roles, but someone needs to tell them that they just can't play their own intercept marking game, all the time.

Sydney, for example, burns us a lot of the time because they don't try to get it to Franklin with a high ball (which plays into the hands of our defenders), they put it out in front of him and he gets it on the lead. A lot of teams in fact are starting to get wise to this. In the Sydney game at the SCG this year in particular, the commentary was rightfully scathing toward McGovern who refused to man up Buddy to play the intercept marking game, and got absolutely smoked as a result

This is why Schofield for me is absolutely crucial to our defensive make up; he is a mobile tall who match mobile forwards on the lead, and, lock down tight when needed

He will be needed in 2020

Oscar Allen says hi.

Gov and Barrass are awesome at their roles, but someone needs to tell them that they just can't play their own intercept marking game, all the time.

Sydney, for example, burns us a lot of the time because they don't try to get it to Franklin with a high ball (which plays into the hands of our defenders), they put it out in front of him and he gets it on the lead. A lot of teams in fact are starting to get wise to this. In the Sydney game at the SCG this year in particular, the commentary was rightfully scathing toward McGovern who refused to man up Buddy to play the intercept marking game, and got absolutely smoked as a result

This is why Schofield for me is absolutely crucial to our defensive make up; he is a mobile tall who match mobile forwards on the lead, and, lock down tight when needed

He will be needed in 2020

Its why we need Rotham in the team too.

Play barass hurn and gov as pure intercepters and have other quicker players like rotham and sheppard who play on their man and take them on the lead.

With the wings, Masten played the defensive wing allowing Gaff to play more the attacking wing. I’d like to see Duggan on the Masten wing. His time in Defense has been good and he has the endurance and composure to play outside mid.

The 6 full time defenders
Talls - Gov Barrass
Locks - Sheppard Hurn Jetta
1 of - Jackson Rotham Cole depending form and opposition match up

6 full time forwards
Talls -JK Darling Allen
Locks - Cripps Ryan
1 of - Cameron Petrucelle Waterman Brander Venables

Mids
2 Ruck - NicNat and preferably Williams
4 Balanced Mids- Shuey Yeo Kelly Redden
2 Outside mids - Gaff Duggan

That leaves 2 floaters and as Bond has clarified, Simmo likes players who can play multiple role
2 floaters
Sheed and Jackson
A midfielder who can also play forward and a defender who can also tag

FB Hurn Barrass Sheppard
HB Jetta McGovern Rotham
C Gaff Yeo Duggan
HF Cripps Darling Cameron
FF Ryan JK Allen
Foll NicNat Shuey Kelly
Int Redden Williams Jackson Sheed

Depth
Ruck - Hickey
Defender - Cole Schofield
Forward - Petruccelle Waterman Brander Venables
Mid - Hutchings Ah Chee

We usually see at least 1 or 2 jump up to crack into the best 22. My thoughts are Williams and Rotham but would also like to see Brander.

Looking at the line up, my 8 depth players are as strong a line up as I have seen for a long time

Last edited:
Looking at the line up, my 8 depth players are as strong a line up as I have seen for a long time

Think you could reliably add Vardy and Watson to that list of depth albeit Vardy had a poor 2019 and would want to rediscover his 2018 form. That gives us 11 players (your depth list was actually 9) that are putting pressure on the 22 for spots which is vey healthy competition

Smith, if he survives, is another that arguably could come in to fill a role but I’m not convinced on him.

Ainsworth, O’Neill and Brayshaw (if he gets a contract) you’d expect to be learning in the WAFL midfield and would need a significant leap in output to be part of a best 22 conversation. Likewise Edwards and Foley as defenders

Unless we get a mature aged WAFL player you’d think that our 2019 draft intake will be a fair way from making a 2020 debut

HF Jamie Cripps Jack Darling Dan

Swap Brander with DV. Brander has too much work to do before being considered IMO.

B: Barrass, Schofield, Sheppard
HB: Jetta, McGovern, Hurn
C: Gaff, Shuey, Redden
HF: Cripps, Darling, Venables
F: Ryan, Kennedy, Allen

R: Naitanui, Yeo, Kelly
INT: Sheed, Duggan, Cameron, Hickey

I'm backing Venables in as I think that we need someone on the HFF who can help win the ball at forward line contests to help resolve our ground ball deficiencies. Ah Chee could also take this role, but I'd like to see Venables get first crack.

Redden to play as the more defensive wingman (as Masten and Hutch did last year) with occasional tagging jobs where appropriate. I'm thinking Mitch Robinson as a comparison.

I still think that Schofield has a role to play as he's the only one who is much chop as a lockdown key defender. If Barrass improves in that respect I'd replace Schofield with Rotham. If Barrass's poor form continues, Rotham may replace him as the third tall.

Ideally Bailey Williams will replace Hickey as the second ruck but I don't think he's quite ready to take on 40-50% of the ruck duties, nor is Naita quite ready to take on 70%+ of the ruck duties.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Best 22 for 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Back