Best Recruiter and Traders of Players

Remove this Banner Ad

understudy

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 12, 2002
North East
AFL Club
Collingwood
A lot of my fellow members are questioning the performance of Noel Judkins and Neil Balme in these areas and calling for their heads. Thats all fine but you have to replace them. Who is the best in the business at recruiting/drafting the right players and pullling off good trades with other clubs?

st.kilda for me.

they've picked up hammil, gehrig, penny, hudgeson, guerra, hayes, black, blake, powell in last few years.

hard to argue with that sort of record!!

well when port was introduced into the afl (i think) they head hunted the eagles recruiting officer mick moylan who was seriously good at picking young talent.

since he left the club took afew years to reestblish its recruiting department.

Originally posted by understudy
A lot of my fellow members are questioning the performance of Noel Judkins and Neale Balme in these areas and calling for their heads. Thats all fine but you have to replace them. Who is the best in the business at recruiting/drafting the right players and pullling off good trades with other clubs?

collingwood recruiting player recruiters?

i'd like to see that.

• Banned
Originally posted by theorangeapple
well when port was introduced into the afl (i think) they head hunted the eagles recruiting officer mick moylan who was seriously good at picking young talent.

since he left the club took afew years to reestblish its recruiting department.

hasnt seemed to have done that well of late has he?

Thanks. Stibbard is Norths recruiting man isnt he? Who is Wells?

The bloke who managed to draft Ling, Chapman and Enright in one draft, with picks over 30.

Also the same bloke who found a kid called Mackie.

On the contrary understudy, Surjan looks the goods.

Alan Stewart has been Port's recruiter since 1997, Moylan was football manager in 1997 (but got ousted by Cahill) and until last year Rob Snowdon (former Sydney recruiter) had been football manager.

Snowdon retired, and we got Moylan back as football manager. Now Stewart has dropped down to a Head Scout role for more free time, and Mick is in charge of recruiting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Porthos
On the contrary understudy, Surjan looks the goods.

Alan Stewart has been Port's recruiter since 1997, Moylan was football manager in 1997 (but got ousted by Cahill) and until last year Rob Snowdon (former Sydney recruiter) had been football manager.

Snowdon retired, and we got Moylan back as football manager. Now Stewart has dropped down to a Head Scout role for more free time, and Mick is in charge of recruiting.

I'll reserve judgement on him and is that all you think he's achieved ...

Originally posted by BlueBoy83
st.kilda for me.

they've picked up hammil, gehrig, penny, hudgeson, guerra, hayes, black, blake, powell in last few years.

hard to argue with that sort of record!!

I could probably have drafted the majority of their recent draftees (Dal Santo was a good get), but yes, their trading has been nothing short of amazing.

Beveridge deserves plenty of credit for their current run of success.

Neil Balm seems like a good bloke now that he isn't belting people on the football field. Not quite sure what purpose he serves at Collingwood though. He does the PR reasonably well and he can lie about injuries like all the rest of them can. Gubby was our deal maker in the 90's and Balm hasn’t filled the void as far as I can tell. It all depends on what the agenda is though. It's a bit hard to put deals together if have nothing you are allowed to trade with or that anyone wants. From that perspective it's hard to measure. Certainly there haven’t been any obvious wins while he's been there. I have no problem with Judkins. If anything MM's insistence on medium paced midfielders is a problem. Good to see that was thrown out this year although getting 2 Shaws may well be the only reason we drafted a few bigs.

I'll reserve judgement on him and is that all you think he's achieved ...
At this stage thats all that can be demonstrated, yeah.

Originally posted by Bobby Beecroft
Mark T sorry I know this is a different topic but perhaps you guys should get David Cloke to do your recruiting.

Nice to see another article quoting him AGAIN in the HS today.
Just doing what he thinks is right for his kids I guess. Can't criticise him for his intentions. Time for him to shut up though as far as I am concerned. If he gets a good contract for his 3 sons he's done what he set out to do I s'pose.

He was a great servant of Collingwood so he deserves some respect from our club for that. In reality I don't care much about the by play if Travis the 12 foot high jump champion 80 meter goal kicking sensation comes to the Pies.

I think Craig Cameron has been doing a pretty good job at Melbourne, picking up Cameron Bruce and Brad Miller with picks in the 60's, and a few other really good late pick ups. Corcoran goes ok, mixed record in trading.

Remove this Banner Ad

Best Recruiter and Traders of Players

Remove this Banner Ad

Back