Best Swing Men in the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

dogupya

Cancelled
Western Bulldogs - Ryan Hargrave 2007 Player Sponsor Western Bulldogs - Ryan Hargrave 2006 Player Sponsor
Aug 18, 2004
upya
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Cursed Dogs....
It's usually the players with good football brains that can play the swing man role

Of course I will kick it off with Chris Grant.... Has been the perfect swing man player for us. If he is not kicking a couple or setting some goals up, he is plugging up the defence with his brilliant reading of the game and sure hands. Always in the right spot, his decision making is impecable.

Lance Whitnall. Again, a great football brain, tons of ability, noted centre half forward who is in career best form at half back this year.

Justin Leppitsch. great reader of the game down back, great pace and skill and also very damaging whilst up forward using the aforementioned skills he has

Adam Goodes. Back, forward, ruck, wing, coach.... you name it, this guy can play it, freak!!

Bob Murphy was exceptional down back, and has continued his good form up forward. Before he did his knee he was in pretty good knick at CHF. Exceptional football thinker with great skill

The player who really stands out for me no longer plays, but all blues fans will agree wqith me here.... SOS is probably the best swing man I have seen play the game. The fullback of the century, who can go to full forward and kick 7 goals in a half is just out of control.

I know I have left out a lot of players, so help me out.....

Also a bit of discussion about who could potentially make a good swing man for your club?

Bruce has been the standout for the demons, James Hird can do it as well. Not so much as big men, but both those guys can play anywhere.

Koutafides circa 2000 was the perfect example though.

jonesy86 said:
i'll take chad cornes thanks
good call on cornes and Hird

You're kidding...

This thread got to 8 replies without Matthew Pavlich getting a mention?

You know, the most effectively versatile player in the AFL?

2002: All Australian Full Back
2003: All Australian in the midfield
2005: All Australian Centre Half Forward

Nobody else can boast that kind of versatility on a consistent basis.

As for another option, Nathan Buckley is starting to prove that he can do it no matter where he's played.

Saddo circa early 2004 was good for us. Serious! How BF Mathews got the job ahead of him I'll never know. I'd have to pay Craig Bolton too.

But Goodesy is the man in the red and white.

vinnie_vegas69 said:
You're kidding...

This thread got to 8 replies without Matthew Pavlich getting a mention?

You know, the most effectively versatile player in the AFL?

2002: All Australian Full Back
2003: All Australian in the midfield
2005: All Australian Centre Half Forward

Nobody else can boast that kind of versatility on a consistent basis.

Goodes winning the brownlow as a ruckman/ruck rover/wingman/half forward etc wins! :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BLwhitey said:
Williams - When Williams kicks a bag, 90% of the time Hawthorn will get the points.
Williams is one of the most unversitile players in the afl.

I love Embleys game from the WC (after Adam Goodes.) That guy is super-fit and can play any position. If Embley played for a Victorian side we would not hear the end of him. Probably would win a Brownlow as well.

TigerFan said:
Chad Cornes and Adam Goodes are the obvious ones.

give him 5 years, and I reckon Brett Deledio could fulfill this role

Just out of curiosity, What do see in Delidio that makes you believe he will make a good backman?

He will be a devestating midfielder and goal kicker......

My vote goes for The Big Unit himself, Lynchie. When he's playing crap up forward, you can always swing him 'round to the back and he'll play just as crap there too! That's versatility. :thumbsu:

(I kid because I love :D )

Buckley is ok, he can inspire or depress, either way he can swing matches, has showed us before, and did so again on the weekend...

Jason Cloke anyone.
Built his reputation as a quality defender. Was then swung forward in a GF to devestating effect and was used on a wing earlier this year to rapturous applause from the magpie faithful.

Remove this Banner Ad

Best Swing Men in the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back