Biggest Pay TV Audience

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 17, 2008
Werribee
Other Teams
Victory
The Bulldogs vs Storm game on Sat. night was the biggest audience that pay tv provider Fox Sports has received for an nrl game 359,000.

And prior to this latest news, I did see an article (can't provide a link..sorry) in one of the newspapers that the Cowboys vs Storm game this year was rated the highest pay tv game of the year so far.

Saw this on another rugby league forum, so thought I would post it here for others to see.

Even though only about 33% or so of aust. households have foxtel connection, 359,000 audience is a great figure.

Seems rugby league is very good for foxtel...wonder if that means that the nrl will get more money in the next tv rights deal.

Thoughts pls.

Foxtel have given mixed messages on the question of whether they are prepared to pay much more for the rights (on one hand recognising it's importance as well as making some strange predictions as to how many extra subscriptions they could sell with the AFL rights)... though, they certainly will if the NRL expands and gives them an extra game per week. Just as Free To Air networks may well be willing to fork out more if they have another Queensland derby to air.

The Bulldogs vs Storm game on Sat. night was the biggest audience that pay tv provider Fox Sports has received for an nrl game 359,000.

And prior to this latest news, I did see an article (can't provide a link..sorry) in one of the newspapers that the Cowboys vs Storm game this year was rated the highest pay tv game of the year so far.

Saw this on another rugby league forum, so thought I would post it here for others to see.

Even though only about 33% or so of aust. households have foxtel connection, 359,000 audience is a great figure.

Seems rugby league is very good for foxtel...wonder if that means that the nrl will get more money in the next tv rights deal.

Thoughts pls.
The Cowboys V Storm game was one of NRL's lower TV audiences with 219,000 (third last for the year at the time) so I don't know where you got that from.

Foxtel subscriptions are around 30% whereas Austar is about 25%.

The Cowboys V Storm game was one of NRL's lower TV audiences with 219,000 (third last for the year at the time) so I don't know where you got that from.

I think the point CC was making (regardless of which game it was) is that this isn't a one-off example and that previous NRL matches have set records for the network.

Presumably these ratings don't include Austar - it's subscribers (about 700,000 of them apparently) are outside of the capital cities and therefore won't be included in the OzTam ratings.

I think the point CC was making (regardless of which game it was) is that this isn't a one-off example and that previous NRL matches have set records for the network.

Presumably these ratings don't include Austar - it's subscribers (about 700,000 of them apparently) are outside of the capital cities and therefore won't be included in the OzTam ratings.
although OzTam only do the 5 capital cities for FTA they do the "national" ratings for Pay TV which also includes Qld, N-NSW, S-NSW, Vic and Tas. and those figures are for those markets.

As a matter of fact the AFL outrates the NRL on a per game basis for just the 5 capital cities on PayTV.

although OzTam only do the 5 capital cities for FTA they do the "national" ratings for Pay TV which also includes Qld, N-NSW, S-NSW, Vic and Tas. and those figures are for those markets.

As a matter of fact the AFL outrates the NRL on a per game basis for just the 5 capital cities on PayTV.

Fascinating. I'd love to see your spreadsheets some time.

As I said at the start of the thread, I got those stats on the Bulldogs vs Storm game on another rl forum and remember reading an article (or it may have been a post on a thread) re the Cowboys vs Storm game, as being the other highest drawing game for league....

Well seeing you have some sort of link to those ratings, can you please provide it for us to have a look at to check it out.

As I said at the start of the thread, I got those stats on the Bulldogs vs Storm game on another rl forum and remember reading an article (or it may have been a post on a thread) re the Cowboys vs Storm game, as being the other highest drawing game for league....

Well seeing you have some sort of link to those ratings, can you please proved it for us to have a look at to check it out.
http://www.tvtonight.com.au/wp-content/uploads/astra-ratings-for-week-090322.pdf

umm.... I fail to see your point proven there. Actually five of the top Six programs were NRL with only One (Collingwood V adelaide) being AFL in number 3. Also two of the NRL games below the AFL game had higher weekly reaches than it had.

Hoops, i too would like to see your spreadsheets.. I do recall a cowboy storm game getting massive ratings on fox sports.. may have been last year

and no, i'd like to see some proof that

because right now.. you have none

Hoops, i too would like to see your spreadsheets.. I do recall a cowboy storm game getting massive ratings on fox sports.. may have been last year

and no, i'd like to see some proof that

because right now.. you have none

1st part
OzTAM is the official source of television ratings for all metropolitan TV and nationally for Subscription TV.

2nd part

NRL PayTV 5 city Ratings

LIVE: NRL BULLDOGS V SEA EAGLES 190,000
LIVE: NRL WARRIORS V EELS 142,000
NRL SHARKS V PANTHERS 107,000
LIVE: NRL TITANS V KNIGHTS 127,000
LIVE: NRL WEST TIGERS V RAIDERS 161,000

LIVE: NRL DRAGONS V TITANS 173,000
LIVE: NRL PANTHERS V BULLDOGS 158,000
LIVE: NRL COWBOYS V WEST TIGERS 133,000
LIVE: NRL RAIDERS V ROOSTERS 118,000
LIVE: NRL SHARKS V KNIGHTS 123,000

LIVE: NRL WARRIORS V BRONCOS 172,000
LIVE: NRL EELS V RAIDERS 150,000
LIVE: NRL COWBOYS V STORM 136,000
LIVE: NRL RABBITOHS V KNIGHTS 115,000
LIVE: NRL SEA EAGLES V PANTHERS 142,000

LIVE: NRL PANTHERS V WEST TIGERS 146,000
LIVE: NRL STORM V TITANS 175,000
LIVE: NRL WARRIORS V RABBITOHS No info
LIVE: NRL BULLDOGS V SHARKS No info
LIVE: NRL RAIDERS V COWBOYS No info

LIVE: NRL SHARKS V RAIDERS No info
NRL STORM V PANTHERS No info
LIVE: NRL COWBOYS V TITANS No info
LIVE: NRL KNIGHTS V WARRIORS No info
1 LIVE: NRL BULLDOGS V RABBITOHS No info

LIVE: NRL DRAGONS V KNIGHTS No info
LIVE: NRL RABBITOHS V SEA EAGLES No info
LIVE: NRL SHARKS V COWBOYS 132,000
LIVE: NRL WARRIORS V ROOSTERS 87,000
LIVE: NRL WESTS TIGERS V STORM 181,000

LIVE: NRL ROOSTERS V DRAGONS 129,000
LIVE: NRL STORM V WARRIORS 166,000
LIVE: NRL COWBOYS V SEA EAGLES 178,000
LIVE: NRL RAIDERS V BULLDOGS 100,000
LIVE: NRL PANTHERS V TITANS 140,000

LIVE: NRL TITANS V RABBITOHS 101,000
LIVE: NRL SHARKS V ROOSTERS 150,000
LIVE: NRL KNIGHTS V BRONCOS 172,000
NRL RAIDERS V PANTHERS 101,000
LIVE: NRL DRAGONS V WARRIORS 96,000

LIVE: NRL COWBOYS V DRAGONS 160,000
LIVE: NRL KNIGHTS V TITANS 114,000
LIVE: NRL ROOSTERS V STORM 173,000

LIVE: NRL ROOSTERS V KNIGHTS 135,000
LIVE: NRL PANTHERS V SHARKS 140,000
LIVE: NRL SEA EAGLES V EELS 122,000
LIVE: NRL WARRIORS V COWBOYS 73,000
LIVE: NRL STORM V RAIDERS 133,000

LIVE: NRL SHARKS V DRAGONS 196,000
LIVE: NRL BULLDOGS V STORM 207,000

AVERAGE 141,350

AFL PayTV 5 city Ratings

LIVE: AFL COLLINGWOOD V ADELAIDE 204,000
AFL BRISBANE LIONS V WEST COAST 92,000
LIVE: AFL MELBOURNE V NORTH MELBOURNE 117,000
LIVE: AFL FREMANTLE V WESTERN BULLDOGS 180,000

LIVE: AFL GEELONG V RICHMOND 178,000
LIVE: AFL CARLTON V BRIS LIONS 170,000
LIVE: AFL ESSENDON V FREMANTLE No info
LIVE: AFL WEST COAST V PORT ADELAIDE No info

LIVE: AFL ST KILDA V WEST COAST No info
LIVE: AFL BRISBANE LIONS V SYDNEY No info
LIVE: AFL PORT ADELAIDE V MELBOURNE No info
LIVE: AFL FREMANTLE V ADELAIDE No info

LIVE: AFL SYDNEY V CARLTON No info
LIVE: AFL ST KILDA V FREMANTLE No info
LIVE: AFL NORTH MELBOURNE V ESSENDON 165,000
LIVE: AFL WEST COAST V WESTERN BULLDOGS 180,000

LIVE: AFL HAWTHORN V WEST COAST 136,000
LIVE: AFL FREMANTLE V SYDNEY 126,000
LIVE: AFL GEELONG V BRISBANE LIONS 181,000
LIVE: AFL MELBOURNE V ADELAIDE 146,000

LIVE: AFL WEST COAST V FREMANTLE 96,000
LIVE: AFL PORT ADELAIDE V ADELAIDE 129,000
LIVE: AFL SYDNEY V RICHMOND 143,000
LIVE: AFL WESTERN BULLDOGS V ST KILDA 206,000

LIVE: AFL GEELONG V SYDNEY 100,000
LIVE: AFL NTH MELBOURNE V PORT ADELAIDE 76,000
LIVE: AFL ADELAIDE V WESTERN BULLDOGS 161,000
LIVE: AFL WEST COAST V MELBOURNE 222,000

LIVE: AFL MELBOURNE V WESTERN BULLDOGS 123,000
LIVE: AFL BRISBANE LIONS V ADELAIDE 123,000
LIVE: AFL PORT ADELAIDE V RICHMOND 118,000
LIVE: AFL ST KILDA V ESSENDON 187,000

LIVE: AFL ADELAIDE V CARLTON 160,000
LIVE: AFL WEST COAST V COLLINGWOOD 126,000

AVERAGE 147,885

The games with no info was during the non-rating period over easter,.

source
click on "Week #" than "Week #:pay TV"

It's all there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hmmmm I find it curious that the first link gives ALL NRL games over 200 thousand then miraculously your next figures (which I don't have time to confirm or deny - I have a life) are virtually all BELOW such. Both are said to be from the same source.

league has been number 1 for pay tv for a while, but with news ltd/channel 9 agreements since super league, money wont be much better for 2012 rights

At the end of the day it is a clear and simple fact that RL dominates Pay TV ratings. It is as simple as that. Regional people pay with the same money as capital cities, money is money.

Are you guys as thick as what the stereotype for Leguies is portrayed?

You asked for proof that "AFL out rates the NRL on a per game basis for just the 5 capital cities on PayTV".

And I showed it to you:rolleyes:
yer and we've shown you proof that NRL outrates AFL on paytv, on a NATION wide basis.. capiche?

why would you ignore a huge chunk of the population? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

yer and we've shown you proof that NRL outrates AFL on paytv, on a NATION wide basis.. capiche?

why would you ignore a huge chunk of the population? :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Did I once dispute that AFL outrates NRL on PayTV nationally. I made a claim, you asked me to prove it, and I did.

As for "NATION wide" you do realise that a huge chunk of AFL heartland is not included in the so called "national" figures, It is more like the 5 metro plus eastcoast.

Remove this Banner Ad

Biggest Pay TV Audience