Blake Caracella....can he recapture his form

Remove this Banner Ad

Maverick

All Australian
May 14, 2001
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Caracella and Lloyd were the 2 players I used to fear most from Essendon. IMO these 2 were Essendon's most damaging players.

Lloyd because he would never quit. Most full forward, like Bradshaw would almost throw it in if they have a poor half of football. Lloyd provides a target and gives 100% regardless of whether things are going his way.

Caracella, so dangerous because of the way he makes space, and the way he could read the play.

Both are deadly accurate kicks at goal.

From memory Caracella was 3rd in the B&F in their premiership year of 2000.

However, in 2002 Caracella was disappointing to say the least. It was widely acknowledged that Caracella, Heffernan and Blumfield were the most disappointing performers for 2002. All are now gone.

It was a big punt...Bubba & Des for Blake & the no 5 (later 3) selection. For that trade to be beneficial, Blake needs to recapture career best form.......possible, but I won't be holding my breath.

Jared Brennan will have us saying Des Who???

Caracella will be a great fit in this Lions team. More opportunities in that Lloyd and Hird were both exceptional marks, but Lynch and Brown provide more contests with the ball spilling to the crumbers. He will kick 30-40 goals and be a revelation!

Originally posted by cjwalkley
He will kick 30-40 goals and be a revelation!

I'm predicting he'll get between 20-30 goals (considering we have so many goal-scorers), and hopefully he can get 15-25 touches most weeks - after all, it's not only his shots on goal which can be brilliant.

In other words, hopefully he'll fall somewhere in between the level of C.McRae and J.Akermanis.

From what I recall of Blake at the Dons, the defensive side of his game let him down.

This is an obvious priority with Matthews so I hope to see a more tenacious Caracella as a Lion.

I believe Caracella was a front runner at Essendon and only played well when the side was playing well so he shouldnt have any problems at Brisbane as they are expected to again be successfull this season however he will go missing when the side struggles

Dodongo likes the way Caracella plays. Dodongo knows Caracella will be a handy pick up. Dodongo believes he will recapture his form. Dodongo has made a nickname for Caracella. Dodongo will call him Dodongocella.

Originally posted by cjwalkley

Caracella will be a great fit in this Lions team. More opportunities in that Lloyd and Hird were both exceptional marks, but Lynch and Brown provide more contests with the ball spilling to the crumbers. He will kick 30-40 goals and be a revelation!

Good assessment methinks.

Caracella should get more opportunities with the Lions as long as he can learn to "read" spills from the likes of Lynch and Brown.

Originally posted by NathanD
From what I recall of Blake at the Dons, the defensive side of his game let him down.

This is an obvious priority with Matthews so I hope to see a more tenacious Caracella as a Lion.

Also a fair observation.

We all know that Matthews demands a high work rate from his forwards as "attacking defenders".

Caracella will have to chase, harrass and tackle to lock up the pill in our attacking 50 or it'll be bench time to have a think.

Caracella strikes me as a reasonably bright lad, so I'm confident he'll adapt to the team plan pretty quickly.

According to the reports on this Board, he seems to be fitting in nicely, and played well on Friday night. The true test for player is when they play their old team. So roll on round 1.

Originally posted by kazzieb
The true test for player is when they play their old team.

Most players seem to play well against their old team, once having crossed to a new club. IMO, his real value will only be apparent after an entire season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Blake will play a big part in 2003 to cover the whole Des Headland left plus he has grand final experience that experience Brisbane lions players love.

I must admit that Blake looked abit out of sorts the other night. He did some useful stuff and 'm sure with time he'll fit into the mould but it appears as though he's still finding his feet with his new team at this stage.

Home Brand

Remove this Banner Ad

Blake Caracella....can he recapture his form

Remove this Banner Ad

Back