Injury Blue Healers Medical Room 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well we're stuffed.
some posters are like australian soccer - spend time building a frail reputation then shit all over it on a regular basis......

Might give Jack Carroll, Sam Philp, David Cuningham etc opportunities that they might not have got otherwise.

Sam Walsh will be back by mid year at his best. This might mean that we have more weapons in our arsenal by then.

If Sam Walsh being injured is the difference to us being successful or not we have issues. I personally don't believe that it will be.

Calm your snatches people. Club said it explored everything they could to treat it without the surgery option. Read the whole article. You don't do back surgery for fun. Also how the he'll is this Russell's fault?

Andrew Russell kicked Sam Walsh in the back.

True story.

how do you get 4-6 weeks from that quote?
Lloyd literally says we'll get a time frame after the first month of the season is completed.

Most recover in 4-6 weeks, then build back up to normal levels of physical activity. Given it's Walsh, think he would be right for round 1.

Would like to hear the opinion of any medicos on here. But why wasn't this identified and undertaken 3 months ago?
Read the article and you would have a better understanding as to why

Might give Jack Carroll, Sam Philp, David Cuningham etc opportunities that they might not have got otherwise.

Sam Walsh will be back by mid year at his best. This might mean that we have more weapons in our arsenal by then.

If Sam Walsh being injured is the difference to us being successful or not we have issues. I personally don't believe that it will be.
There's a rookie listed kid by the name of Ed who's stocks are rising by the minute.

Couldn't think of a better bloke to have in the trenches when it gets down and dirty against teams like the Tiggs and Cats early in the season.

Get well Sammy, and we'll see you later on in the year bigger and better than ever.

Seriously - again? Yet another injury to a key player mismanaged in the offseason.

But hey, lets drop the news the day before Christmas when people are busy and on holidays so that the complete ineptitude of the club isn't on public show (again).

Bunch of absolute clowns running the joint - still.

Another nice melt

Similar surgery to what I had back in 2019

If similar results:

The internal back pain will be eradicated almost as soon as surgery is complete.

Wound site will be painful and prevent training through the recovery period. Typical of post surgery of anything (e.g stitches, etc.)

Physio will begin 2-3 weeks post surgery.

3 months mark he should have close to complete freedom (if successful and no other diagnosis e.g. cauda equine syndrome, which is what I had).

It really depends on what other complications he was dealing with if anything. Could range from back about a third of the way through the season to his career/life is somewhat ****ed and we hope for the best

Those asking why we didn't opt for immediate surgery. Spinal cord (no matter how simple the surgery) is almost always the last resort in medical opinion in this country. I can say I asked for my own surgery back in 2016 and they wouldn't until I reached the point of no return and it was my only option. In my time in the spinal unit this was the case for every single patient in there including two former professional athletes. The only people this didn't apply to were significant trauma cases (e.g. significant car accident victims where they literally had no choice).

Until we know more it's impossible to say. Club doing the right thing by ruling out a timeline for his return

Positive thoughts and love to Sammy.
Hope your all well mate. I had the same emergency surgery because of the cauda equina nerves being impacted. 5 years on i am not the same and still have flare ups from time to time and i am in no way a professional athlete.

I wish Sam all the best but i would not expect him to play for at least half the season.

Sent from my SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Similar surgery to what I had back in 2019

If similar results:

The internal back pain will be eradicated almost as soon as surgery is complete.

Wound site will be painful and prevent training through the recovery period. Typical of post surgery of anything (e.g stitches, etc.)

Physio will begin 2-3 weeks post surgery.

3 months mark he should have close to complete freedom (if successful and no other diagnosis e.g. cauda equine syndrome, which is what I had).

It really depends on what other complications he was dealing with if anything. Could range from back about a third of the way through the season to his career/life is somewhat ****ed and we hope for the best

Those asking why we didn't opt for immediate surgery. Spinal cord (no matter how simple the surgery) is almost always the last resort in medical opinion in this country. I can say I asked for my own surgery back in 2016 and they wouldn't until I reached the point of no return and it was my only option. In my time in the spinal unit this was the case for every single patient in there including two former professional athletes. The only people this didn't apply to were significant trauma cases (e.g. significant car accident victims where they literally had no choice).

Until we know more it's impossible to say. Club doing the right thing by ruling out a timeline for his return

Positive thoughts and love to Sammy.
Echo these comments - Australian medicos have always positioned spinal surgery as a last resort.

One of the complications with any spinal surgery is that the wound does not heal properly and you get cerebrospinal fluid leakage.

CSF is the stuff our brains are sitting in so fluctuations with it can cause serious issues, including vertigo and nausea.

This is the post-back surgery condition GSW HC Steve Kerr was dealing with several years ago.

Would have been nice to have had the op on the 22nd August but no point explaining that to anyone that is shitting on the club for only doing this now.
I suspect they would have had a course of cortisone injections to try to back-off the inflammation caused by the disc protrusion, before progressing to surgery when that didn't produce a sustained response.

I know you get inside info mate, but no one knows, at this stage, how Walsh pulls up after that procedure
Sure but the literature seems to show 10 week best case up to 6 months for athletes returning to contact sports. Seems to be an approx success rate of 80-90% depending on severity etc.

You’d hope that given they thought he may not need surgery the severity is on the lower end so better odds of successful surgery. Also Walsh’s professionalism should increase odds of a success and on the faster side of things. Seems likely to miss at least the early rounds though.

Can't believe there are so many qualified GPs in a Bigfooty sub!

I've had a bulging L4/L5 for 25 years and can do farming stuff all day when necessary with zero issues as long as I'm smart about it - not nearly the same as playing AFL but I don't have a team of medicos following me around 24/7.

This gives the other young mids a chance to have a sustained crack at it: Dow, Carroll etc.

Was much more devo over Doc's injuries in previous years. Walsh is a freak and he'll follow his rehab etc. to the letter, the removal of the medi-sub rule will likely help him return faster as well.

This is not a 4-6 week injury, our bye is round 15 the second last week of June I doubt we’ll see him before then, we can’t afford to risk the clubs number one asset, hopefully we learn from the mistakes made with Cripps and Hewitts injuries over the last couple of years.

This is not a 4-6 week injury, our bye is round 15 the second last week of June I doubt we’ll see him before then, we can’t afford to risk the clubs number one asset, hopefully we learn from the mistakes made with Cripps and Hewitts injuries over the last couple of years.

Hewett had back concerns while at Sydney

A one week injury has turned into 8+ months.

Over It Ugh GIF

Really hope Walsh has a great recovery - he's an absolute gun.
Amazed to see that Carlton have now have three players (inc Fogarty and Hewett) recovering from back surgery, I can't recall a club with that many players needing back surgery/recovery over the same period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back