Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

The old Crazy Vossy nickname is thundering back into relevance.

He has lost many of the players. The rest will follow soon.

Voss and Lloyd are holding us back.

Cook step up and make a decision.
I'm sorry but we have heard this same stuff from the players since Ratten. Can't just keep changing the coach and expect anything to get better - at what point do the players take some accountability?

But it’s not. When we’re running the ball we’re a completely different side, which is our intended game.

When we’re butchering the ball into fwd50 we’re impinging on ourselves.

Need to fix the dysfunctional forward line, cohesion + roles of those playing in the fwd50.
Yep. When we were on song and our role players were hitting targets, winning contested ball etc our game plan and play style looked fantastic. When we got bogged down in the backline, weren't hitting targets inboard etc we revert to the classic down the line bomb fest which everyone hates watching. Improving the quality of our ball users and runners will help with that, just look at how Elijah Hollands came in and looked to attack the corridor consistently.

Agreed - it would also be a huge concern to me from the playing group perspective, if after making finals in consecutive years for the first time in a decade, and just missing out on a GF, that the collective group would lose faith in Voss as some have alluded too.

Individual fringe players, sure. But not the band of senior players.
Yeah, losing faith in the coach after making finals twice in a row for the first time in a decade (while enduring one of the worst injury crisis of any team this year) would be bizarre. Criticisms, room for improvement etc sure, but to totally lose faith would be a bit baffling.

Yep. When we were on song and our role players were hitting targets, winning contested ball etc our game plan and play style looked fantastic. When we got bogged down in the backline, weren't hitting targets inboard etc we revert to the classic down the line bomb fest which everyone hates watching. Improving the quality of our ball users and runners will help with that, just look at how Elijah Hollands came in and looked to attack the corridor consistently.
And we’re rightfully looking at the cavalry at our disposal which either blunt this, or can assist us.

Need to unravel the forward line puzzle however, which has been a W.I.P. for too long.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Delisting Marchbank, Akuei and advising a contracted Lewis Young to 'look around' would suggest we're into a KPD...

Highly, highly unlikely we could pry SDK out (they would want multiple first rounders). He is Chris Scott's love child.
plus I'm genuinely surprised big Durdin didn't get cut in the first batch, considering how often he's injured.

I'm sorry but we have heard this same stuff from the players since Ratten. Can't just keep changing the coach and expect anything to get better - at what point do the players take some accountability?
On the flipside…have we had any decent coaches since?

As others have mentioned I would be disappointed if it was all rosy inside the club at the moment.
There should be some disgruntlement with the way they season finished out and high performance environments should involve players and coaches being challenged.
Now they can take their break and come back as a collective in pre-season to fix it. We wasted a golden opportunity this year.

Making the call on Martin, Cuningham and Marchbank and letting Kennedy, Young and Owies look around is a step in the right direction in my opinion.
The list needed a mini reset. We carried too many injury prone players for too long and we are too slow. All of the above covered off in those names.
This is not to say that those guys cannot play footy - there are plenty of examples of premiership teams having handy players leave on the way to success.

A couple of astute trades/draftees, some internal improvement from younger guys on the list and a shake up in the coaches box/footy department and we are right back in the mix.

On the flipside…have we had any decent coaches since?
The coach was good enough to get us to a PF in 2023 and have us sitting 2nd for the vast majority if 2024 despite coaching with one arm behind his back for much of that time given player personnel issues. Voss isn't perfect and he and the coaching staff need to keep improving as well but senior players losing faith in him after the last two years is bizarre imo.

Malthouse was going senile.
Bolton was good but had his throat cut by SOS cutting the list too deep.
Teague was a mistake.
Voss is great, just needs a bit of tactical leadership around him.
I have no idea whether he does or doesn't, but would he still be 'great' if he doesn't want or see a need for tactical leadership around him?

L.Young was on the lookout mid-season (VFL bound) from earlier aired reports
Marchy is badly broken
Cat B time was up for DA

SDK would be 1 x 1st rounder. Also, has some concerns on his knee. If disgruntled = hard to keep.

All fair points but have to disagree on SDK only worth 1 x first rounder.
2019: First Round Pick.
2022: Premiership Player, Awarded Geelong's Best Young Player
2023: Named Full Back in the Best Under 22 AFL Team.

204cm 23yo and about to hit his peak like his brother has in the last couple of years.

Easily worth TWO first round picks IMO

Wow really.

Voss wouldn't have endeared himself with this call.

More broadly a fair number of us on here have been bemoaning the team balance thing for awhile now so I don't see it as any surprise re Soapy's post.

Add in holding on to fragile players for far too long, add in consistent defensive lapses, add in a messy forward line, add in far too often easy rebound out of the F50, add in slow transition footy out of defense and I can understand a fair bit of angst amongst players (especially senior players) and coaches.

Then we seem to have the coach at odds with the head recruiter re Houston, sure is going to be a interesting off season.

Tbh I don't believe Voss's game style is anything radical or unachievable. Words like contest and pressure are on every coaches wish list and are pretty basic tenets of playing winning footy, consistent execution is the key to achieving it.

Think it's become obvious this list is not where it needs to be and some hard calls have to come, Guess Kennedy is the first.

Last edited:
I can confirm that the senior coach the club is considering for the assistant coaching role recently parted ways with his previous club. Although he has never had a coaching role at Carlton, he supported the club as a child.
Simmo (ex WC coach) was on SEN tjis morning and stated he wants to take a year off

Is this the news that was alluded to last week when a few others backed it up with “I’ve heard this too” and sad face reacts? Or are we expecting more senior/much loved players to be on the move too?

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back