Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Is this the news that was alluded to last week when a few others backed it up with “I’ve heard this too” and sad face reacts? Or are we expecting more senior/much loved players to be on the move too?
Nope.

Sounds like Sydney are keen which seems a little strange.

Heeney, Hayward, Papley in that forward line already.

Maybe they see him as a Luke Parker replacement.
In a good side with a strong work ethos he will be handy, he will demand a decent back man and can turn a game, much like a cheaper version of De Goey

Voss is desperate now. Next year will be telling for his future imo. He’ll try to make some “bold” list management moves this off season but if we crash and burn against next year or otherwise don’t make a prelim as a minimum then it’ll be danger signs for him.

Suggesting to Kennedy, Lewis Young & Owies that they're welcome to explore more senior opportunity is certainly not desperate.

The fact is, this playing group has finished the last three H&A season's in 9th, 5th & 8th. Five teams that finished below us in 2023 have jumped us. It's hardly mega improvement...

Being "bold', as you call it, is exactly what we need to do.

I for one like the impatient attitude our club is showing with these recent announcements.

Sadly, as I discussed with several people on here meetings we had with senior players last Monday after Lions loss didn't really solve anything. Interesting the names mentioned as possible trades are the ones I mentioned as not being happy and there are more players involved.

There is probably more concerns and rumours coming from the club than I have heard in 3 years.

There is a lot of frustration amongst the playing group. Especially senior players. This has been bubbling along for a few months and IMO this has been shown in results.

It seems internally the coaches and LM are blaming the players? This is where the issues seem to lie.

The club is at a real cross roads in regards to it's football department. These things need to be fixed and addressed. Voss won't be sacked (I don't think) but he needs to take things on board or he will really lose the group. If he can I can see us being Top 4 and if he doesn't we could fall dramatically.

Game plan, style and expectations seems to be the major issue but there are issues with List balance, contracts and who we are possibly targeting.

As I have said for months we are speaking with anyone and everyone and there will be a minimum 8-10 changes. Houston wasn't a target of Austin but Voss is pushing for him. What will happen I have no idea.

This is where Cook needs to step up and I have concerns about Lloyd. IMO, A strong Head of Football wouldn't have let these issues fester

Fingers crossed we can sort this and soon. I never would have believed this 6 months ago. Next 4-6 weeks will determine a lot of our future. I believe it's this serious
Thanks for sharing.

Suggesting to Kennedy, Lewis Young & Owies that they're welcome to explore more senior opportunity is certainly not desperate.

The fact is, this playing group has finished the last three H&A season's in 9th, 5th & 8th. Five teams that finished below us in 2023 have jumped us. It's hardly mega improvement...

Being "bold', as you call it, is exactly what we need to do.

I for one like the impatient attitude our club is showing with these recent announcements.
Imo this is we bold as Voss will be, much like the coaching to date. He’ll largely stick with the same formula but these three outliers will be used to attract rival attention and possibly a pick/player.

We have played 3 half seasons in 3 years.

We have deficiencies in KPDs, HFF and quality smalls. I don’t think a fully fit list without some game plan adjustments will achieve the desired result. I just hope there’s some adjustments made in the coaching ranks to complement list changes

If we stick with the same players, same game plan, same list management strategies and same strength and conditioning we will go backs if we haven’t yet already. Other teams are flying past us so I’m all on board this rumour that we’re looking everywhere and the club isn’t happy.

Let’s shake it up a lot for 2025.

I don’t think it should be any surprise to hear of unrest in the playing group.

We now have two years (2022 was more a getting to know you affair), where the playing group has largely been unable to play Voss’s game. We know this because he tells us in his press conferences.

I’d say there was the first half of last season where we couldn’t get it. Then we clicked for about 6-8 games, before falling away again. This year, I’d say we couldn’t get there at any real stage.

The key question for the powerbrokers has to be the mix to which it is that the players can’t get the gameplan, or that they won’t get the gameplan.

Right now, I’d say they are leaning towards can’t get the gameplan. Hence a focus on injury management and trading players who seem incapable of playing in the required manner.

But if it is the case that the players won’t get the gameplan, then we have a much bigger problem on our hands.

And the biggest problem of all… is anyone actually looking at the gameplan? If a bunch of fairly senior players with hardened bodies have only managed to “get it” for about a two-month period over the past two seasons, then something more fundamental seems to be amiss.

We lost 8 out of the last 10.

Change is clearly needed and I'm glad to see it's happening.

With the caveat that nothing has actually happened.

Except for the yearly delistings that every club does.

Sadly, as I discussed with several people on here meetings we had with senior players last Monday after Lions loss didn't really solve anything. Interesting the names mentioned as possible trades are the ones I mentioned as not being happy and there are more players involved.

There is probably more concerns and rumours coming from the club than I have heard in 3 years.

There is a lot of frustration amongst the playing group. Especially senior players. This has been bubbling along for a few months and IMO this has been shown in results.

It seems internally the coaches and LM are blaming the players? This is where the issues seem to lie.

The club is at a real cross roads in regards to it's football department. These things need to be fixed and addressed. Voss won't be sacked (I don't think) but he needs to take things on board or he will really lose the group. If he can I can see us being Top 4 and if he doesn't we could fall dramatically.

Game plan, style and expectations seems to be the major issue but there are issues with List balance, contracts and who we are possibly targeting.

As I have said for months we are speaking with anyone and everyone and there will be a minimum 8-10 changes. Houston wasn't a target of Austin but Voss is pushing for him. What will happen I have no idea.

This is where Cook needs to step up and I have concerns about Lloyd. IMO, A strong Head of Football wouldn't have let these issues fester

Fingers crossed we can sort this and soon. I never would have believed this 6 months ago. Next 4-6 weeks will determine a lot of our future. I believe it's this serious
Brad Lloyd
The bloke that survived whilst his whole department was sacked.
Is anybody actually surprised?
#staythecourse
#Believe

No team is flying past us.

1min here or there in our favour could've seen us finish top 4 with ease.

Apply the injuries we had to other top 8 lists and see how they would go.

Injuries are an excuse for many reasons, addressing this through tough list changes and revamping the football department is how we avoid it happening again

Give us a healthy top 30 for the year, and we are a top 4 team. Any game plan will flourish with the consistency of the game time playing together.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Original news still a possibility? Whatever is may be…understanding the speed in which things can change.
I'm hoping silence around it is a good thing.

Honestly, I don’t know how much Bam Bam leaving will truly hurt us on field, but I think on field is the biggest potential issue for mine.

Can see he’s very well loved around the club, seems a genuinely good bloke too, for it to just end with that subbing off in the EF after everything he gave for us is a damn shame.

On field not a great deal but there will be players with noses out of joint that may have more of a negative effect.

Tbh it will sting but they just have to move on and remember why they are employed, it's part of the business and a premiership is the goal not keeping everyone's mate happy.

No team is flying past us.

1min here or there in our favour could've seen us finish top 4 with ease.

Apply the injuries we had to other top 8 lists and see how they would go.

Injuries are an excuse for many reasons, addressing this through tough list changes and revamping the football department is how we avoid it happening again

Give us a healthy top 30 for the year, and we are a top 4 team. Any game plan will flourish with the consistency of the game time playing together.

I think you're looking at this with rose coloured glasses.

What was the excuse for the Adelaide game when we had a relatively low injury list?
Why did we allow Daicos to run through in the last minute to kick the match winner?
Where was our plan B when GWS had come back from 39 points down to go 6 goals up?

Injuries played a part and I'm not denying that but there's more problems with the club and the lack of plan B we often have.

We have a top 4 list IMO. That doesn't mean we are a top 4 team.

How did things get out of hand with Cook at the helm?

It was mentioned quiet a bit that he is a an experienced operator and was going to bring stability to the club?

He’s 68 years old and most likely doesn’t have the energy anymore. Also, the top people at Geelong and the top people at Carlton are like day and night. Geelong would have many experienced operators. We have who outside of Brian Cook?

I might be in the minority here, but I absolutely love this.

The list balance is poor, and the game plan is not current and is not sustainable with the list we have.

The players get beaten up by this game plan on a weekly basis. They know we don't have the pace in the side to shut down opposition run, and the defence is left high and dry constantly.

When you select slower inside mids as half forwards and half backs, you have an unbalanced side. We have 6 of these types trying to fit into our side ... Cripps, Hewett, Kennedy, Cerra, Lord and Carroll. We then have wingers and Walsh for the rest of the midfield, and Walsh wants to be inside too.

We then have small forwards playing up the ground in order to fit into the side. Owies, Durdin, Motlop, Williams, Fantasia, Fogarty. Of these only Durdin and Fantasia have any toe. It's like an Aldi brand mosquito fleet picking up an average of 8 possessions per game each. Where's the class?

We have a 195cm beast key defender who lacks pace to stop leading forwards, we have a couple of athletic but undersized players who aren't natural defenders, a 197cm player who can run and spoil but struggles to move the ball and lacks a hard edge and .... nothing.

We have 6 superstars, some really reliable players and a whole lot of (by AFL standards) ... dross. Role players certainly, but not consistent role players.

Our elite players often look poor and it's hard to work out whether they are frustrated or whether they are suffering from what they are surrounded by.

I'm glad this is coming out. I hate the tail wagging the dog, as it usually does at this club, but does anybody look at the way we play and get dazzled by the skill and see players enjoying themselves?

We've been too comfortable for too long. I'm glad Voss is challenging them, and I'm glad some senior players are pushing back.

They'd do well to point out these home truths and each side accept their own part in this. If one side doesn't want to listen, they're the problem and they must go.

Enough already. Communicate. Break some eggs. Feast on a premiership omelette.

Last edited:

Soapy - Really appreciate your constant sharing of information as well as your own thoughts.

Are you saying that Voss has somewhat lost the senior players which then played a key role in our poor performance towards the end of the season?

Blind Freddy could see that there was an issue but I never expected it to be this bad.

The one positive, I guess, is that the club now realises that there’s major issue and has an opportunity to fix it.

A wild Barrass70 appears!
tim burton batman GIF
A poor man's Barass70?

e545c95d645d32bd99f90b382e7d7072.gif

I might be in the minority here, but I absolutely love this.

The list balance is poor, and the game plan is not current and is not sustainable with the list we have.

The players get beaten up by this game plan on a weekly basis. They know we don't have the pace in the side to shut down opposition run, and the defence is left high and dry constantly.

When you select slower inside mids as half forwards and half backs, you have an unbalanced side. We have 6 of these types trying to fit into our side ... Cripps, Hewett, Kennedy, Cerra, Lord and Carroll. We then have wingers and Walsh for the rest of the midfield, and Walsh wants to be inside too.

We then have small forwards playing up the ground in order to fit into the side. Owies, Durdin, Motlop, Williams, Fantasia, Fogarty. Of these only Durdin and Fantasia have any toe. It's like an Aldi brand mosquito fleet picking up an average of a possessions per game each. Where's the class?

We have a 195cm beast key defender who lacks pace to stop leading forwards, we have a couple of athletic but undersized players who aren't natural defenders, a 197cm player who can run and spoil but struggles to move the ball and lacks a hard edge and .... nothing.

We have 6 superstars, some really reliable players and a whole lot of (by AFL standards) ... dross. Role players certainly, but not consistent role players.

Our elite players often look poor and it's hard to work out whether they are frustrated or whether they are suffering from what they are surrounded by.

I'm glad this is coming out. I hate the tail wagging the dog, as it usually does at this club, but does anybody look at the way we play and get dazzled by the skill and see players enjoying themselves?

We've been too comfortable for too long. I'm glad Voss is challenging them, and I'm glad some senior players are pushing back.

They'd do well to point out these home truths and each side accept their own part in this. If one side doesn't want to listen, they're the problem and they must go.

Enough already. Communicate. Break some eggs. Feast on a premiership omelette.
Completely agree. We fans just need to accept some of our favourites might go, but we need to stop being so nice and demand more from out list.

Like you said, we have 6 Superstars, and of those 6 it might be the best set up in the league - 2 Coleman forwards, 1x Brownlow & Finals Finals B&F mids & an AA Full back. The spread and balance of the stars is elite. The fact we have barely just scraped into the 8 is unacceptable and we need to finally do something about it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back