Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

The pick from the Lachie Henderson trade did eventually net us a Coleman medallist but the wrong one was named. Lachie was traded to Geelong for a future first round pick, that pick was traded to GWS (as well as 28, 77 and 95) for five players plus Pick 8 in that national draft. Two academy players were matched bids with Pick 3 and Pick 7 of that draft, so our Pick 8 was pushed out to Pick 10 (Harry). Charlie was Pick 12.
I stand corrected!! Good solid investigative work....

Fact remains he came back from injury in horrendous shape post injury and was borderline useless for most of the games he was fit for.

Slow, doesn't chase and has ordinary smarts for a forward up the field.

The only thing he really brings is being a good finisher at this stage. Needs to have a monumental pre season or he could just as likely be on the way out not long from now.
I am not satisfied with Jesse’s output and there is a little truth to much of this. I have copped a serve on here for being critical of Mots previous to his current form line.

Having said that, the bloke is CURRENTLY an old fashioned forward opportunist, with good goal sense. He also doesn’t mind a run through the middle and is capable pinch hitting there. The problem is his minimal defensive effort. We sometimes call him slow, truth is he finds an extra hard or two when going forward , while being a bit if the old fashioned head wobbler type when chasing with limited intent. He is genuinely quick when sniffing out a “snag”.

He came to us an established podcaster, happy and confident in his own skin, while footy was easy at junior level having inherited the family skills. Problem is that is not all he has inherited. All of the Motlops have been quality footballers, and all have been career underachievers somewhat intent on the flashy highlights based output over heart and soul 100% team first impact.

I believe he is basically a good kid and has the necessary tools to be a hundred or more game AFL forward. He needs a but of a rocket, well more, the realisation that he needs to put in 100% on field AND in preparation to realise his potential. I think some of the living arrangements among the boys are a bit suspect. He has shared with another kid in Corey Durdin. Left to their own devices during extended rehab periods is perhaps not the best recipe. Poor food choices etc are a common outcome from anyone, let alone kids being in a parallel existence to their mates out on the ground playing footy.

I would be happy if we add to our forward options, even at the pointy end of the draft but don’t share the thought that we are necessarily a poor side, bereft if small forward options.

I have no fears that a fit and focussed small forward group of Williams, Fogarty and one or both of Durdin and Motlop would be more than adequate. I am confident Moir will join that grouping as a taller, hybrid type, Elijah and other “resting” mids add to the mix, and we also forget how effective peak Cottrell can be.

Pressure and goal sense is required in the forward half. We do not have the collective goal sense of some sides and perhaps are down on collective foot speed, but intent and “smarts” are more important. The addition of a quality, electric leftie like Berry would be awesome, but I don’t believe we are useless without him.

I still believe the effectiveness of our small collective is affected negatively by our coaching group. They are seen as role players, asked to work too hard defensively to offset a midfield reluctant to work back to optimum levels. Blokes like Williams, Fogarty and Owies are confident enough to play more instinctive footy, where the youngsters are perhaps fixated on coaches instructions and lose the offensive edge, to be seen “playing their roles” and getting lost with transition.

There are “missing layers” to our game, if we ensure Durds’ shoulders are fixed during the off season and Mots does the necessary preparation and focussed more on defensive intent we will be fine, even “deadly”. Our coaches need to instill confidence and clarity of roles.

I do subscribe to the theory that Owies has contributed to the imbalance in our forward group. Early in his career MO was a regular bobbing up defensively and working both ways for the good of the team. In recent times he has clearly become more opportunistic and literally goal oriented focussing more on kicking snags than doing the team thing defensively. On face value we will miss him, but I suspect the collective will not be weakened.

Last edited:
The pick from the Lachie Henderson trade did eventually net us a Coleman medallist but the wrong one was named. Lachie was traded to Geelong for a future first round pick, that pick was traded to GWS (as well as 28, 77 and 95) for five players plus Pick 8 in that national draft. Two academy players were matched bids with Pick 3 and Pick 7 of that draft, so our Pick 8 was pushed out to Pick 10 (Harry). Charlie was Pick 12.
Even then - SOS and crew rated Weideman higher. We were extremely lucky he was off the board already!

Was having a chat to a player manager last night who happens to manage Carlton players and is also a Carlton fan.

His take is nothing new but reiterates what we've heard.

-Haines pretty much a lock
-Houston will happen unless he gets offered stupid money elsewhere
-Club does not rate owies because he's too slow and doesn't offer enough defensively. Not many other interested clubs either for the same reasons.
-SOS on the list because he's good for culture but that's not to say he's bad

Same I’m hoping we take pick 11 and can get Gold Coast pick 12 and take both picks in the draft
That would be great. I'd even be happy to trade one of those picks back and end up with 2 in the top 20 and another 2 in the 20 - 30 range. Take the Campo boys and refresh the list with youth.

We then have cash for TDK and Weitering and have basically done a mini rebuild on the run.

Looks good on paper but would put us a step backwards next year.
Not necessarily. If HP / S&C keeps everyone on the park then the number of squad members required reduces.

We’ve got about 31 (incl Haynes minus possible departures/further cuts incl #7, 16, 32, 33, 38, 44) ready to go with draft newcomers to be added plus Wilson, Lemmey + HOK untried.

Looks good on paper but would put us a step backwards next year.
See I don’t think it would. There’s enough internal growth in our team to come. Add to that that hopefully Charlie is over his injuries and a full year from Doc, Cerra, JSOS and Fog, more games into Lord, Ollie, Cowan and Kemp up forward.

With the 3 top draftees I mentioned, can see all 3 putting pressure on our squad and it would vastly improve our 2s imo.

We have a finals list and with some luck and even if we didn’t add Houston, we should still be there abouts. Adding some quality kids is never a bad thing and they really could be just what we need. I’m all for top end talent this year as in 3 or 4 years we are going to see an aging list and if we don’t cash in now, we could be at the opposite end of the ladder at the worst possible time.

Just my opinion though

You wouldn't concern yourself with the best draft expert in the country? Rightio then.
Can we please get facts right. Go back and look at Twomey’s earlier assessments.
Yes come draft day, he will have more right than wrong. The bloke collates info from clubs and particularly the network of player managers to gauge the interest in the kids. Twomey is primarily a fan boy with contacts. He has networks emanating from his role, he is not “the best draft expert in the country”, he is the inside man.

His late info is a bloody good guide, but his “judgement” will alter before draft night, despite the boys not playing between now and then, nothing surer.

owies has been a very solid contributor but is effectively a third tall and someone like kemp will displace him rather than a different small. kemp appears pretty good defensively and has stuck his forward line tackles, from a limited sample.
could certainly teach a few of our much longer in footy players a thing or two about set shots.

owies has been a very solid contributor but is effectively a third tall and someone like kemp will displace him rather than a different small. kemp appears pretty good defensively and has stuck his forward line tackles, from a limited sample.
could certainly teach a few of our much longer in footy players a thing or two about set shots.
His set shot late in the 4th against the Saints cost us a win...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You wouldn't concern yourself with the best draft expert in the country? Rightio then.
I think you've taken me out of context, Cal goes to games and talks to lots of recruiters, but recruiters boards will still have a lot of variation, many could have players like Dennis in their top 20. They also get to know the draftees, speak to their junior coaches, teachers etc... we're all thin slicing here, but there are enough knowledgeable posters like Coona and arrow who have good eyes and watch enough footage that I'd back in their judgement

According to posters with various levels of 'ITK' info we've got links to Lindsay, Moraes, Dennis and Dattoli so far. Lindsay link coming from one of his close family friends, same with Clancy Dennis.

Personally would be disappointed to pass on Berry and Hotton but theres plenty of water to go under the bridge til draft night.

Moraes is an interesting prospect though.
We're taking them all. Gonna be like splitting aces in Blackjack

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Or literally stop it all together as he won’t be on our list next year

Yep. Sounds like he is most likely going to be traded. There is never this much noise attached to a required player, so a trade is the likeliest scenario.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back