Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks for the info mate - I still don't really understand this stance from the club. If we aren't going to be targeting a mature KPD this post-season our depth in that area is going to be really poor if we let Young go

We surely can't be purely relying on 191-193cm interceptors to play on resting ruckman, and the Daniher types.

I know we want to cut our losses with Young as a long term option, but he's still got to be a better depth option than Sam Durdin.

I think we want to lose Young's salary more than anything, and then open up a list spot as a secondary benefit.

If we have a state league player in mind, we probably want to take them in the draft, rather than chance them getting through to us as a rookie, thus Young going over Durdin.

At least I hope that's our thinking.

We surely can't be purely relying on 191-193cm interceptors to play on resting ruckman, and the Daniher types.

I know we want to cut our losses with Young as a long term option, but he's still got to be a better depth option than Sam Durdin.

I think we want to lose Young's salary more than anything, and then open up a list spot as a secondary benefit.

If we have a state league player in mind, we probably want to take them in the draft, rather than chance them getting through to us as a rookie, thus Young going over Durdin.

At least I hope that's our thinking.
I think the smaller defence (i.e., Weitering with two of McGovern/Haynes/Kemp) only works if the midfield buys into the defensive side of the game and can get delay on the ball. We were able to do that really well in 2023 but not so much in 2024. I think Cerra is key to this so hopefully him getting a better run at it helps with defending stoppage. But agree overall we shouldn't be trading Young unless we can bring in another proper mature KPD in to replace him - Durdin is not reliable.

We may have no choice, and have to forget about Dan Houston, if the sum mention are fact with our limitations on salary cap space we’re out of the race.
Things is our window is probably 2 to 3 years, and then it’s rebuild all over again. We’re stuck, hopefully Austin can spin some magic or be creative.
Haynes and few youngsters in the draft ain’t going to move the needle exponentially in our quest for 17th.

This period, should be skewed heavily towards the draft. My opinion it is the best crop between 10 & 40 in years. A few moneyball picks -konstanty, Mcmahon? but play the % and take 5 (3+campos) in this draft. Leave expensive trades for another year.
This year might be the last good draft opportunity(talent depth) we have access to with Tassie entering the comp. and securing Cody(without the current concessions) plus our salary cap imbalance(too many chiefs and not enough indians)

Trading in players will be a future necessity not an option when Tassie raids the draft nest.

We may have no choice, and have to forget about Dan Houston, if the sum mention are fact with our limitations on salary cap space we’re out of the race.
Things is our window is probably 2 to 3 years, and then it’s rebuild all over again. We’re stuck, hopefully Austin can spin some magic or be creative.
Haynes and few youngsters in the draft ain’t going to move the needle exponentially in our quest for 17th.
I'm hoping to finish higher than 17th personally

I think the smaller defence (i.e., Weitering with two of McGovern/Haynes/Kemp) only works if the midfield buys into the defensive side of the game and can get delay on the ball. We were able to do that really well in 2023 but not so much in 2024. I think Cerra is key to this so hopefully him getting a better run at it helps with defending stoppage. But agree overall we shouldn't be trading Young unless we can bring in another proper mature KPD in to replace him - Durdin is not reliable.

I just can't see us letting Young go unless we have a ready made type locked away, which is difficult to determine unless it's a DFA

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reading all the comments about Houston’s possible salary. Just for a bit of perspective

If we lose Kennedy Owies Marchbank Martin Cuningham Young, even at an avg of $350k which I believe is low that is $2.1m

5 draftees, rookies or SSPs would avg $150k each. That is $750k. Add Houston on $800k fits easily

Draft picks are massively beneficial for the Salary Cap over mature players no matter who they are

William’s contract ends in 2 years. TDK is our only big name to sign next year

That is also not mentioning the big increase is Salary Cap that is coming and that our Salary Cap had room for “at least one quality player” before all this.

These are rough numbers but highlights our position

IMO the Houston deal is more about draft picks than money. And of course who else we are targeting. That’s my take

Last edited:
Martin Marchbank Cuningham salaries already off the books.
Kennedy Young and Owies salaries also looking to be cleared.
Would have to believe a responsible and competent list manager would have previously factored in and largely budgeted for upcoming Weitering/TDK contracts without having to fire sale to accommodate them now.
Doubt we’re prepared to offer Houston a godfather contract let alone meet Port’s demands in trade for him.
So, if the club are committed to an assault on a premiership in the “Cripps/Docherty” window and are actively clearing salaries … what can Austin have up his sleeve in the next few weeks … 🤔🤔🤔

I just think we are in a spot where the right draftee/s can come in and make an immediate difference. It’s not like they’re coming in to play with Sam Kerridge, Nick Graham, and Lachie Plowman. They’re coming in to play with a dual Brownlow medallist, 6 (I think?) All Australians, 2 Coleman medallists, and the player of the 2023 finals series.

Ironically enough, I think we have the best support for any draftee to come into our side since Scott Camporeale in 1995 (you could almost add Whitehead given he hadn’t played many games in 1994).

For me, the proof is in the pudding. Guys like Lord, Binns, and Moir came in and played competent footy alongside Cripps, Walsh, Weitering and co.

That’s why I’m keen on this draft. I really think we can set ourselves up beautifully for 2025.

OK maybe I'm a tad optimistic but I think we have a future Houston already on our list in Lachie Cowan and I'd be a little worried that his development next year may be compromised by bringing Houston in.

Not gonna be at all disappointed if we don't land him. Just for once can we back our kids in?

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back