Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

We surely can't be purely relying on 191-193cm interceptors to play on resting ruckman, and the Daniher types.

I know we want to cut our losses with Young as a long term option, but he's still got to be a better depth option than Sam Durdin.

I think we want to lose Young's salary more than anything, and then open up a list spot as a secondary benefit.

If we have a state league player in mind, we probably want to take them in the draft, rather than chance them getting through to us as a rookie, thus Young going over Durdin.

At least I hope that's our thinking.

Next year we will have

Weitering - as good as any
Young and/or Durdin - back up
Haynes, McGovern, Cowan, Kemp (hope he stays fwd) as more third talls
Lemmey (201cm) & Silvagni are options
Good chance we will add another

Look at the finals sides from this year. Mostly mobile with one key pillar in defence. Look at the job Lester did on Cameron in Prelim. The game is more about mobility than ever before

Last edited:
Next year we will have

Haynes, McGovern as more third talls

Look at the finals sides from this year. Mostly mobile with one key pillar in defence. The game is more about mobility than ever before
Yup, I believe the game is headed this way as well soap. more to one tall in a forward line and the rest small to mediums.
Same as through the middle of the ground as well. Less bulls more mobility

Next year we will have

Haynes, McGovern as more third talls

Look at the finals sides from this year. Mostly mobile with one key pillar in defence. Look at the job Lester did on Cameron in Prelim. The game is more about mobility than ever before
I agree that might be ok...still think better to have another KPD to help weits...if he goes down we are likely to be dead with durdin/young

but it also depends on our ability to stop/slow down oppos sling shotting out from our f50 and putting enormous pressure on our defence....so we will need good smalls/half forwards and mids/wingers that work hard

Next year we will have

Haynes, McGovern, Cowan, Kemp (hope he stays fwd) as more third talls

The big issue we have is that our key pillar is not quick. We rely so much on a team defence helping out on the tall, athletic types. This means when faced with these guys, we get exposed or we have to change our dynamic to play Young, and it takes a bit away from the game plan.

We can't underestimate how important Payne is in taking those sort of players and freeing up Andrews. GWS have Taylor and Buckley as the two pillars, allowing Idun and Himmelberg to be the less accountable intercepting types. Port have Aliir and Zerk-Thatcher. Dogs played Lobb and Jones.

Most of these pillars from other teams are quicker than Weiters. The only knock on Weiters in his draft year was playing on leading forwards. We rely so much on stopping clean entry to allow Jacob to get into more one on one contests where he dominates.

I agree that might be ok...still think better to have another KPD to help weits...if he goes down we are likely to be dead with durdin/young

but it also depends on our ability to stop/slow down oppos sling shotting out from our f50 and putting enormous pressure on our defence....so we will need good smalls/half forwards and mids/wingers that work hard

True but you can only have so many on a list

A lot of us here want us to trust the youth next year

Maybe we put our faith in Lemmey or O’Keefe to step up next year of Weitering is injured? Suported by the maturity of Haynes, McGovern, Silvagni, Newman, Saad, Docherty they could be good

This is on top of Young or Durdin

The big issue we have is that our key pillar is not quick. We rely so much on a team defence helping out on the tall, athletic types. This means when faced with these guys, we get exposed or we have to change our dynamic to play Young, and it takes a bit away from the game plan.

We can't underestimate how important Payne is in taking those sort of players and freeing up Andrews. GWS have Taylor and Buckley as the two pillars, allowing Idun and Himmelberg to be the less accountable intercepting types. Port have Aliir and Zerk-Thatcher. Dogs played Lobb and Jones.

Most of these pillars from other teams are quicker than Weiters. The only knock on Weiters in his draft year was playing on leading forwards. We rely so much on stopping clean entry to allow Jacob to get into more one on one contests where he dominates.
It’s a good post, ODN. And don’t forget, Murphy at Collingwood. I reckon they fell back this year mainly because Murphy used to free up Moore.

Don’t disagree and I am sure we are looking.

I just like to look within when possible. Most names you mention are the 194cm types. We will have Haynes McGovern and Silvagni. Monaghan is 194cm as is Duffy. Lemmey is 201cm.

A fit and in form Saad Docherty Wilson Boyd Cowan Ollie gives us more run. Then there is Houston?

Young/Durdin are 200cm. If we don’t land another KPD one of these will stay

That’s a fair few on one list. I’m more about mobility and ability as opposed to actual size.

Last edited:
It’s a good post, ODN. And don’t forget, Murphy at Collingwood. I reckon they fell back this year mainly because Murphy used to free up Moore.
Yeap, important 3rd tall they missed this year

Can't see sides becoming smaller, if anything it will go the other way. If a recruiter is faced with the exact same attributes in 2 players, they will take the taller option. Damn steroid chickens

Andrews, Payne, Lester

Daniher, Hipwood, Morris

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have zero confidence in Austin picking good players in the draft so happy to give up pick for Houston
Curious as to why you feel that way?
Austin has only taken one pick inside the top 20 since he got to the club, hollands at 11, who despite a sophomore slump is going to play a lot of good footy for us. I think he’s actually been pretty good at drafting talent with lesser picks:
Durdin at 37, Carrol at 41.
Motlop at 27.
Cowan at 30, binns at 32.
not to mention bringing in Boyd at 19 in the msd, and lord at 9.

none of the above are superstars yet, but there is a lot of solid types there, all young and with the potential to play a lot of footy for us. I feel like he is striking at better rate in that part of the draft than we were used to.

Curious as to why you feel that way?
Austin has only taken one pick inside the top 20 since he got to the club, hollands at 11, who despite a sophomore slump is going to play a lot of good footy for us. I think he’s actually been pretty good at drafting talent with lesser picks:
Durdin at 37, Carrol at 41.
Motlop at 27.
Cowan at 30, binns at 32.
not to mention bringing in Boyd at 19 in the msd, and lord at 9.

none of the above are superstars yet, but there is a lot of solid types there, all young and with the potential to play a lot of footy for us. I feel like he is striking at better rate in that part of the draft than we were used to.

Liked for "sophomore slump" can't get much more American than that,

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back