Bluemour Melting Pot XXI - Like seriously, the polar ice caps have got nothing on us

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newnes is so average. There's a reason he got delisted.

4.5 turnovers a game and he only averages 18 touches. So 1 in 4 touches is a turnover.

Edit. Just to add, at 27 if he got delisted from a team with a weaker midfield than ours, what does it say about us if he plays round 1.

Gee that's embarrassing...

Not Newnes, the fact that you based your entire critique on a wildly inaccurate stat.

Has averaged a tick over 2.5 clangers per game for his entire career, and has a disposal efficiency of 74% (almost on par with the much-vaunted Lachie Whitfield).

Where did you pull your number from?

Will next year’s draft be comprimised because of the priority package given to gcs and the access they will be given to NT talent..or is there something more than that? I hear about acedemy points but am not sure what they are about

Believe a few teams have academy prospects as well next year.

Re Pick #9: I get that we need senior players to even things up but adding a talented 18 year old only helps the list reset we did with the Weitering draft, we have quality players from every draft since then why not add another one, let them grow together.

Yeap, continue to replenish each year, players will eventually mature, starting with the 2015 draftees, just add a splash of maturity, even if they are not elite

Re Pick #9: I get that we need senior players to even things up but adding a talented 18 year old only helps the list reset we did with the Weitering draft, we have quality players from every draft since then why not add another one, let them grow together.
Do we use it to target a specific type eg small forward, mid or just best player?

I know this is very hard to believe, but is it possible AFL trade departments might use the media to signal what might be a win for them. GCS recruitment boss probably doesn’t think so when he said:

Asked if the Suns had any interest in bundling Picks 15 and 20 together and trading them off to a rival club for an earlier selection, Gold Coast recruiting manager Kall Burns told AFL Media’s Road To The Draft podcast: “Absolutely. That’s a scenario we’re open to and discussions we’ve had with other clubs who potentially want to split their pick. So we’ll work out that.

“We can still trade picks now leading up until a week before the draft, so those conversations are constantly happening. Then the trade will open up again as the draft night commences.”

We need a vote: Is there a less subtle signal in trade period than GCS’s?

I know this is very hard to believe, but is it possible AFL trade departments might use the media to signal what might be a win for them. GCS recruitment boss probably doesn’t think so when he said:

Asked if the Suns had any interest in bundling Picks 15 and 20 together and trading them off to a rival club for an earlier selection, Gold Coast recruiting manager Kall Burns told AFL Media’s Road To The Draft podcast: “Absolutely. That’s a scenario we’re open to and discussions we’ve had with other clubs who potentially want to split their pick. So we’ll work out that.

“We can still trade picks now leading up until a week before the draft, so those conversations are constantly happening. Then the trade will open up again as the draft night commences.”

We need a vote: Is there a less subtle signal in trade period than GCS’s?
Yep, that's about as subtle as MEB's (aka MrsEddieBetts) urge to kick Gil in the nuts :p

Personally I wouldn't be against trading our pick 9 (if the players we're targeting have already been selected), or MEB kicking Gil in the salada's.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are many players that have been released late in their careers, Newnes does have versatility

Maybe, but if he does join, I will be surprised if we see him in any role drastically removed from that which he has played over the course of his career.

Wing and flanks with the occasional run through the guts.

I think you underestimate Gibbo.

A second full,solid pre season will do wonders for Gibbons. I'm really bullish on his potential.

Edit; as a mid.

Gee that's embarrassing...

Not Newnes, the fact that you based your entire critique on a wildly inaccurate stat.

Has averaged a tick over 2.5 clangers per game for his entire career, and has a disposal efficiency of 74% (almost on par with the much-vaunted Lachie Whitfield).

Where did you pull your number from?

Screenshot_20191024_210024_com.telstra.android.afl.jpg
The AFL app.

That's embarrassing alright....

Keep defending the saints whipping boy everyone, we'll see what happens this time next year.

Edit. Wish him all the best btw (especially if we pick him up).

Last edited:
Yep - beware the delisted player. When was the last good one we got ??? (although they are a free hit).

I'd read a bit on the Saints board last week and from I could gather he is very much on a downward curve performance wise and a bit of a whipping boy.

Possibly true.

However Playfair was at Saints for last 2 years.

He wouldn’t want his first contribution to be bringing in a lemon.

Patience folks.

Maybe, but if he does join, I will be surprised if we see him in any role drastically removed from that which he has played over the course of his career.

Wing and flanks with the occasional run through the guts.

That is already vastly different to his last 18 months at the Saints, where he spent most of his time stuck on a HFF

Similar to Knight at the Crows

Pick 9 is unlikely to help us too much for 3-4 years though. We needed to use it for a trade that fills a gap in our current list. Eddie will be good for this and maybe next year. Martin good if it happens. Pitonett and newnes we’ll see. Not terribly exciting atm....time will tell.

Chill out AG my man.

Pick 9 can be traded for high 2020 picks - which can then be traded for mature players “that fill gaps”.

Game is not over yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back