Bluemour Melting Pot XXI - Like seriously, the polar ice caps have got nothing on us

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

ST KILDA wingman Jack Newnes will continue his career at Carlton after informing the Saints of his desire to move as a delisted free agent. After knocking back a two-year deal to stay at Moorabbin, Newnes will find his way to Ikon Park when the delisted free agency period opens on November 1. Newnes was officially delisted by the Saints on Friday.

A good, cheap pickup. High-calibre talent for a DFA.

Has nice skills, a good runner. Should provide us with solid output on a wing. Cheaper option than Brandon Ellis.

For those worried about picking up 'rejects' from other teams...Newnes was good enough to play 123 consecutive games, was averaging 22-23 touches a game at decent efficiency a couple of years back and was in the Saints leadership group for a couple of years. Was also offered a two-year contract at the Saints, which he turned down.

Very happy to bring Jack across 'for free' and at worst provides up with some experienced depth - and much better than the cheap, mature bodies we brought in as stop-gaps previously.

Last edited:
We tend to talk up players that we hear are our targets. Sounds like there is enough indication from info gathered by our posters here that newnes is not all that good.

Well my opinion is that Newnes for free is a great get.

Let's not forget St Kilda didn't want to delist him, they have been trying to convince him to sign a 2 year deal.
I think he can definitely be a solid player/contributor and potentially best 22.

Had a down year in 2019, maybe because his heart was already set on leaving.

My memory of him prior to that is he can play a variety of positions, above avg endurance, pretty big body, strong tackler, and relatively neat skills. St Kilda's structures were poor under Richardson, i think there's every chance Newnes could thrive under Teague.

He's not a star, but i'd say Richmond only have about 6 'stars' in their team...the rest are great role players who just do their part and play within the system. Newnes can absolutely be a great role player in a Lambert/Caddy kind of mould.

The Newnes pick up doesn’t excite me at all, I would have much rather kept Dale Thomas, who loves the Blues and was desperate to play on and who was playing good football.

Dale can play multiple positions and probably been cheaper than Newnes, I hope I’m wrong on this, but I don’t see Newnes as a long term best 22.

Issue with Daisy was his age. We obviously wanted to be playing Doc/Willo etc in his position.
Newnes can also play multiple positions. Also we've heard rumours Daisy wasn't actually a good influence on the group, whereas Newnes appears to be a 'good bloke' and professional off field.

Newnes may or may not best 22 long term...as a DFA he's worth a crack.

I'll repeat, Richmond's premiership teams probably have about 6 stars and the rest are really good role players in a good system. Newnes is no star but could certainly help us improve.

You certainly seem to go out of your way to offset most of the optimism...
well sorry to spoil the fun but we are here for a very important reason...to make carlton great again. need to be objective on all facets of the clubs interests. we brought in countless number of players over the last few years that were shown to be not worth the effort.

Newnes is so average. There's a reason he got delisted.

4.5 turnovers a game and he only averages 18 touches. So 1 in 4 touches is a turnover.

Edit. Just to add, at 27 if he got delisted from a team with a weaker midfield than ours, what does it say about us if he plays round 1.
Pretty sure Newnes had a 2-year offer in front of him, and judging by the media release and video on the Saints website, he made the call to delist himself.

He's been played out of position and definitely a whipping boy. You'd have to ask a reliable and objective Saints supporter on the reason he's decreased in production the last few years, but pre-2018 his star was on the rise and was very important to their side, which was far better than ours (performance wise at least). Has leadership and experience and is still young; is versatile; and costs nothing but a list spot.

I'm all for it. Welcome aboard, Jack.

Just quickly on this.

Ellis was a regular in the best team of the last 3 years and a two time premiership player, who his club wanted to keep.

Newnes, was so highly rated by his cellar dwelling club, that they offered him a deal that effectively pushed him out the door, he had no takers during the free agency period and finds himself having to delist himself.

That right there is a pretty good indication that Ellis is rated in the industry as a considerably better player, not to mention, one will be getting paid $600,000 to play next year and the other will be lucky to get half that.
I’d rather Newnes on $300K than Ellis on $500K. Really their situation was pretty much the same, both of their clubs were happy to let them walk to get compensated. Premiership players can tend to get overrated imo.

The reality is he got no real takers in the free agency market and there is a reason for that, he didn’t do himself any favours to get a good contract this year. He does offer versatility, has neat skills and he is durable. With the amount of youngsters we have on our list, he offers a lot more than what pick 70 odd will.

I can’t say I know much about the guy. If he can be an upgrade on end of best 22, just outside of best 22 players, I would be happy.

If he is a good pickup and we grab Jack Martin, it would go a ways to alleviating some of the blow of missing out on Papley.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty sure Newnes had a 2-year offer in front of him, and judging by the media release and video on the Saints website, he made the call to delist himself.

He's been played out of position and definitely a whipping boy. You'd have to ask a reliable and objective Saints supporter on the reason he's decreased in production the last few years, but pre-2018 his star was on the rise and was very important to their side, which was far better than ours (performance wise at least). Has leadership and experience and is still young; is versatile; and costs nothing but a list spot.

I'm all for it. Welcome aboard, Jack.
Understood regarding the delisting part, I thought he was straight up delisted.

Still doesn't really change my opinion, I don't rate him high enough to make any impact. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Regardless of my personal opinion, welcome to the club jack :)

I don't mind Newnes as he actually makes for some sense.
Just don't want us to get too excited for DFA's from here on in, but I somehow fear we shall.

Anyway....Welcome Jack.

Two valid points.

1) He fits a need (more midfield support; LOB, Setters are still developing as wingers)

2) DFAs can be cut from their team for a handfulof reasons
  • Simply not good enough or past it at AFL level
  • Decent players but ageing (eg Matty Wright)
  • Decent footballers, but not stars and just fall out of favour or don't fit their current team's list profile
  • Injuries/off-field issues
2a) I genuinely think Newnes is in the decent footballer category. I've written a few times that he is high-quality for a DFA. I am not suggesting he is a star AFL player - but he is probably about as good as you're going to get for a DFA. Roughly speaking, he's in the same ballpark as someone like Ricky Henderson who was a solid foot soldier at Adelaide, but was picked up by the Hawks as a DFA and has given them good service since (he'd be one of the best DFA success stories).

If you can pick up a guy for free and he gives you neat 18-20 touches (and half a goal) a game off a wing, it's a good pickup IMO.

I am comfortable putting the trust in Playfair and Teague on this one.

Henry would have worked closely with him in 2018-19 while David spent a year at the Saints in 2014 between stints at WC and Adel.

They would have an intimate knowledge of what Jack is like.

Welcome to the best club in the world mate - good luck.

The Newnes pick up doesn’t excite me at all, I would have much rather kept Dale Thomas, who loves the Blues and was desperate to play on and who was playing good football.

Dale can play multiple positions and probably been cheaper than Newnes, I hope I’m wrong on this, but I don’t see Newnes as a long term best 22.
Well, it won’t take 3 years at $750 k before we see the best or worst of the guy now will it?
I loved Daisy, but sheesh he took his time and his time was too late.
Bummer

Jack has been a pretty solid AFL player for several years now. Didn't have a great year last year, but definitely has shown he can be a solid AFL player. Super fit and I like that he has a little bit of mongrel as well.

Adds a mature player to our young list at no cost; 7 years, 155 games and 26 y.o (27 in Feb).

Fingers crossed he turns out to be an astute pick up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back