Senior List
Sep 29, 2003
Mornington Pennisula
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Blackburn Rovers
Trading

What should the dons be looking for in the offseason, a CHB, CHF or a fast silky midfielder (someone in the same calibre as Michael Long would be great) would be great assets.
Plus who can we throw in trades and we have some money to spend to with mecuri now retiring from his hefty contract.

Re: Trading

We've never really thrown money at any big name player before. I don't see why we should do it now. Infact there was an article about this in the sun or age yesterday.

I'd rather draft a few kids, play them week in week out so they get the hang of senior football. We might miss out on finals, we might not. It's the only way to do it properly. Just like 92-93 etc.

CHB + Trade for a kid who has played 2-3 years already eg: salopek

then theres the likes of bruce, bizzel, hadley, notting, dew etc

I'm with M29... draft kids and trade for draft picks and lower profile youngsters like the McPhee/Cupido/Wellman/Barnard trades of before. It's the best in the long run imo

IMO i think we should go after steven salopek (port) and david spriggs (geelong) and a high draft pick and in the draft look for a centre half forward and a centre half back and full back.

Sign blumfield on base wage - we lose alot of experience around the club with welly, mercs and joey going, so it'd be good to get an experienced head to turn to if we need it. Draft some kids and see where they take us. Should be an exciting year!

Longy413 said:
id rather blumfield than bruce.

What drugs are you on?? Blumfield over Bruce? Yeah Id have Blumfield back at Essendon but he's hardly the player Cameron Bruce is. Bruce plays a midfield/forward role and will surely finish in the top 3 or 4 in Melbournes B&F this year. I rate Bruce highly as he is a great finisher and possesses the ability to play run with roles and hurt his opponent going back the other way. I seem to remember a game in which he kicked 7 goals this year. Even Blumfield at his best isn't the player Bruce is.

We out West tend to hear that yous are after Paul Johnson (a ruckman, key foward). Maybe that was before you picked up Allen last offseason, but i fell we have already conceaded him to a vic club, and yous had expressed interest last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disco Clarky said:
What drugs are you on?? Blumfield over Bruce? Yeah Id have Blumfield back at Essendon but he's hardly the player Cameron Bruce is. Bruce plays a midfield/forward role and will surely finish in the top 3 or 4 in Melbournes B&F this year. I rate Bruce highly as he is a great finisher and possesses the ability to play run with roles and hurt his opponent going back the other way. I seem to remember a game in which he kicked 7 goals this year. Even Blumfield at his best isn't the player Bruce is.

You can't just obtain the services of quality players just like that. Put some thought into it.
Obviously Bruce is the better player.....but I'm taking everything into account.

Bruce isn't going to be the difference between finishing 6th and winning a flag.
Bruce is in Melbourne's top 5 players.
Bruce is on $300,000.
Bruce is going to cost us a good player and our first pick.

Blumfield has been delisted.
Blumfield loves the Essendon Football Club.
Blumfield will be asking for $60,000.
Blumfield will cost us a late draft pick.

TRIGGAMAN said:
We out West tend to hear that yous are after Paul Johnson (a ruckman, key foward). Maybe that was before you picked up Allen last offseason, but i fell we have already conceaded him to a vic club, and yous had expressed interest last year.

No thanks.
Most overrated junior footballer ever.

Longy, thought you were implying that Blumfield would be a better player than Bruce. Obviously Bruce would be hard to obtain and like yourself I'm also for getting Blumfield back at the club. Cheers

Melbourne would want more than what Essendon can offer for Bruce.

We wont trade Cam unless the deal is in our favour.

Longy413 said:
You can't just obtain the services of quality players just like that. Put some thought into it.
Obviously Bruce is the better player.....but I'm taking everything into account.

Bruce isn't going to be the difference between finishing 6th and winning a flag.
Bruce is in Melbourne's top 5 players.
Bruce is on $300,000.
Bruce is going to cost us a good player and our first pick.

Blumfield has been delisted.
Blumfield loves the Essendon Football Club.
Blumfield will be asking for $60,000.
Blumfield will cost us a late draft pick.

I doubt that blumfield will make essendon progress as a top 4 team he would most probably be dead weight

dezzie#14 said:
I doubt that blumfield will make essendon progress as a top 4 team he would most probably be dead weight

thats not what i was suggesting.

but blumfield could come to the club in a no loss situation, much like murphy did this season.

Doesn't matter what we need. People will just suggest speedy-squib forward-pockets.

No need to pick up Brisbane or Port dross. We've seen ourselves that most players can look good in a gun side, and struggle in a lesser team. Notting would be in that class IMO.

I reckon we need a big body KPP or two.

Nathan G Brown went alright at Richmond when they were crap
Scott West wins the ball at Western Bulldogs, and they're crap
Riccuito almost won a brownlow this year when Adelaide were crap
Judd won the brownlow and west coast only just made the finals

These are the kind of players we need. Midfielders who can stand up and play when they're team is down (ala Hird).

Remove this Banner Ad

Bomber Draft and Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back