News Brad Crouch to Saints (STK make offer; Band 3, ADL to match?)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also turns out despite a bit of momentum right now, they are still a tier arse club like North, Gold Coast and Port and need to pay a premium for any recruit to know they exist let alone sign for them.

they r delusional, won’t accept that st kilda could offer brad a big contract. They still think brad only worth 600, my gosh they are going to melt tomorrow lol

So if gws has told Geelong that they are matching the Jeremy Cameron contract on Saturday.

Why is it stated in all the articles about them matching that they won't lodge the paperwork, to match, until Monday.

Is it possible, just like trade period, that afl house is not open over the weekend.

With the lack of trade radio and media reporting, Do we all struggle not having the positive/negative reinforcement that crocmedia supplies.

If that's the case, we are the problem, no wonder crocmedia talks so much shit about the crows, we eat it up and ask for more.

On SM-G977B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’ve been trying to look at all this from St Kildas perspective. As I see it, by them increasing Brads deal we are upgrading our compo from 22 to 2, and I would be saying that upgrade has been created out of thin air because of our offer, so we should be getting some of that benefit as well. They could easily be saying that give us pick 9 for Dunstan or our offer goes in at $550k (hence the leak to Rowey to prove their threat). I mean at the end of the day, would we prefer 1 and 2 or 1, 9 and 22. everyone is assuming Dunstan is a salary dump, but why wouldn’t they be trying to get what they can for him.

I know people will say that them not having to give up 17 is their benefit, but it wouldn’t shock me if we end up giving them our pick 20 or the Bulldogs pick for Dunstan.

you seem to be ignoring Brad’s preference for cashing in on free agency in your musings. The can’t just pay him $550k if that’s not what he’s accepted.

right, so here’s the opportunity:

GWS are pissed, they said they’d match any offer and did. 5 years @ $900k

Geelong tried to call their bluff by offering that contract.

now GWS want at least 2 of Geelong’s first round picks, and some reports have suggested all 3

Geelong didn’t offer $4.5M over 5 to give up most or all of their draft capital

so like Brisbane and Carlton last year, there is ego, principle and tension involved.

imagine for a moment, there was another club keen on Jeremy Cameron. A club that bid high for him this year, and the last time he came out of contract too.

now imagine that same team, has just lost 3 players (and their cap hold) to FA who may or not have names that rhyme with Pouch, Pratkins, and Fartigan?

now that same team with lots of cap space, and an undeniable fetish for the player also happened to have the no.1 pick in something called the preseason draft

that’s quite the joker for a club to hold...
I put up that scenario on the Cameron thread on the draft board and said we should be on the phone to gws now telling them that we can sweeten the hately trade significantly should Geelong try the psd threat. That will further erode Geelong s bargaining power.

The response I got from non gws posters was..why would the crows want Cameron on that money when they are in a rebuild..go figure

You can't shuffle income earned from personal services into a family trust to avoid tax.
Interesting - I imagine they'd hold any of the hotel investments or similar in something like a trust, though?

Would Crouch's agent set up some kind of PLC for him, and sign his contracts with the Crows and other sponsors through that company?

This board has gone absolutely mental with all of this "salary dump" and Dunstan to the Crows rubbish. One person keeps saying it, again and again, and now it's almost accepted as fact?

It is absolute rubbish.

Which spuds are Brisbane taking as a "salary dump" as part of the Daniher FA move?

If St Kilda want the player they know the terms. Offer the cash. It's not incumbent on us to "help them out" in any way shape or form.

Apologies that this doesn't relate to your post, only your response which I agree with.

All this Dunstan stuff is absolutely doing my head in.

It's like the $1,000 minimum trade in at Bob Moran. He doesn't want your old bomb, you can get that straight off the price. No need to accept any "trade in's from the Saints unless they are players we want. Stump up or F Off.
So when they pay him less on a contract longer than we want to match, what then?

The reason is because the numbskulls think that "Brad Crouch isn't worth pick 2". So they think that we have to sweeten the deal for the Saints to take him.

Brad Crouch is worth Band 1.

These posters have been listening to too much trade radio and Damien Barrett.
Crouch isn't worth $750k.

Maybe the issue is St Kilda and Brad have a deal locked in that's $650k a year for 5 years, and neither want to change to accommodate us?

then they lodge the contract. That it’s not lodged suggests there’s still work going on between parties somewhere. Them and Brad or us and them, who knows, but it’s not an accident that the agreement between them and Brad wasn’t lodged on Friday.

The longer this goes, the more I am inclined to believe that we walked into this with no pants on, and only realised we could try and force a Band 1 after Dodoro and Brisbane did it with Daniher, and absolutely zero discussions had taken place until yesterday.
It HAS only gone one day. I've had longer negotiations over what video we should rent.

How long do you get to decide if you'll match or not? Does that stay the same no matter when in the period the paperwork is submitted? Did think possibly that the Saints will lodge it late so we have less time to haggle and are rushed into accepting whatever compo we can get.

the free agency period is for lodging free agent contracts. We have 72 hours following being given the contract from the AFL to match.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, I don't think so, in that all the wrinkles were well discussed in the media days ago. I reckon the delay is just the classic intransigence between parties with incompatible goals. Basically, St Kilda don't want to pay Brouch too much, he is happy with it, but we are not. This is not going to be a win:win:win situation. Brouch will win in any case, but either or both of the Crows and St Kilda will be grinding the teeth after this is finished.
I agree with this.

I think St Kilda and Brad are very comfortable with what's on the table, which I assume is $650k for five years.

Were not. We don't want him for five years, but we also don't want pick 20.

This is the delay. Two of the three parties are happy, and one isn't.

I really think Brad on a five year deal isn't great for the club that has him. He enjoys red wine, golf and Noosa too much - he's not driven for success.

So if gws has told Geelong that they are matching the Jeremy Cameron contract on Saturday.

Why is it stated in all the articles about them matching that they won't lodge the paperwork, to match, until Monday.

Is it possible, just like trade period, that afl house is not open over the weekend.

With the lack of trade radio and media reporting, Do we all struggle not having the positive/negative reinforcement that crocmedia supplies.

If that's the case, we are the problem, no wonder crocmedia talks so much sh*t about the crows, we eat it up and ask for more.

On SM-G977B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Dont listen to croc o schizen media...simple.

I agree with this.

I think St Kilda and Brad are very comfortable with what's on the table, which I assume is $650k for five years.

Were not. We don't want him for five years, but we also don't want pick 20.

This is the delay. Two of the three parties are happy, and one isn't.

I really think Brad on a five year deal isn't great for the club that has him. He enjoys red wine, golf and Noosa too much - he's not driven for success.

The real winner aside from his manager is Brad Crouch.

Gets a massive salary increase that he would never have forgotten, despite COVID-19, his off field activities and past injury issues. Also gets a genuine last chance to contend for a flag too.

What is he on??? Martin and Dangerfield are definitely on $1M+ but he stated a huge range of $700-900K to compare them and $900K will be the "match winner" but less so for those on $700K and right now Neale would easily be $900K+ on elite salary.
There's only 60 players in the comp on more than $700k, so roughly 3 a club.

There's only 16 players on $900k or more, so less than one per club.

Campo is right. Williams won't be a top three player at Carlton and neither was Martin.

There's a MASSIVE chance that it didn't take $900k to get Neale across from Freo. There's a very good chance no one at Brisbane is on $900k.

Is a disgusting comment from Damien Barrett, he ia trying to plant a seed.

He says nothing about Carlton offering Martin and Williams $900k however questions $800k to a B&F midfielder

The AFL media is the worse in all professional sport, jurnos consistently pushing thier own bias opinions and agendas

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

They’re just barrackers that get paid for their opinions. No more knowledgeable than the average fan. Certainly not professional enough to leave their subjectivity at the door.

you seem to be ignoring Brad’s preference for cashing in on free agency in your musings. The can’t just pay him $550k if that’s not what he’s accepted.
no your right, they are very much just musings. I wasnt However suggesting that they were going to change the offer, more that it’s possible that after his Hindley Street affair, the only 5 year offer he could get was the Saints at $550k, and he chose that over more money for long term security. Hence why we were so surprised that he chose them.
Gallagher is definitely smart, and it would certainly make sense for them to use our desperation to secure pick 2 to maximize their hand. Especially considering how incredibly weak that hand is.
FWIW I can’t see a scenario where we don’t end up with pick 2 or Brad back on reasonable coin.

The real winner aside from his manager is Brad Crouch.

Gets a massive salary increase that he would never have forgotten, despite COVID-19, his off field activities and past injury issues. Also gets a genuine last chance to contend for a flag too.
Which is exactly what free agency is meant to achieve for players.

I think Brad's agent has gone to the market and there just hasn't been interest in him. I think he might have found that $600k is the top end of what anyone has wanted to offer.

You can't shuffle income earned from personal services into a family trust to avoid tax.

I used to run the salary cap at an AFL Club. The upper tier players have two parts of their contract. The playing contract, and the ASA (additional services agreement). The playing contract can't be shuffled into a family trust to avoid tax, as you mentioned, it's personal services income.

The additional services agreement usually involves a component of marketing and additional advertising (maybe 25-50%) that also counts as personal services as it involves player's making appearances at the events of Club Sponsors etc. The remaining (50-75%) relates to use of the player's image by the AFL Club he plays for. You'll see images of certain players used throughout the Club's marketing, and not others. This relates to the ASA they have signed. The use of a player's image is not personal services, and can be paid to a family trust or other structure to minimise tax.

ASA's can run into hundred's of thousands of dollars for top tier players. When a significant amount of that can be funneled to a player's non-working spouse, the tax savings are worthwhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back